Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connections with fine art

Hello all,

Just wondering if there is anyone on here that is primarily from the fine art world (whether it's sculpture or painting) and has a newfound path in this world of haunting. I don't have much experience with 3D or sculpture in general as I'm more of a painter but how is it for any of you who do have a degree in sculpture? Any of you that have been in this industry for years? Do you find that it's easy to "fit-in" into this industry or that it's a different challenge because the work that has to be created is for an interactive audience as opposed to a traditional setting in a gallery or on a theatre stage?

I have BA in Fine Art. My concentration was in sculpture, but after college I produced mostly paintings. I lived in Santa Fe after college and lived the starving artist life until I moved back to the east coast. 12 years ago I got the haunted house bug. It has been a perfect fit for me, and I'll tell you why. A haunted house provides the opportunity to create on so many different levels and with different mediums. I don't think there is one fine art medium that can't be applied within a a haunted attraction. Also, I enjoy having my work seen and enjoyed. When I use to have gallery shows of my work, people would come see my art and their reactions, for the most part, would be all the same. Whether they liked it or they didn't like it they all maintained that quiet reverence to the art venue....BORING! When I create for my haunt I get more visceral responses from the patrons. They scream, laugh, cry and occasionally wet themselves. I know without a doubt that I have evoked an emotional response in my audience and they paid me to do it...that works for me.
    sigpic
    Louis Brown
    Owner, operator, and dish washer
    at
    DarkWood Manor

Comment

I sort of lived the starving artist life for a couple of years after college when I got my BA in art and realized that it wasn't doing anything for me. Also at the time, I didn't really know my "path" in life as an artist. Tried graduate school and that was a bust. So I enrolled for my BFA in painting (same field, different degree) and I'm so glad that I did. Once I did my thesis exhibition last year, it hit me: I wanted people to be able to experience my work and not just see it. I believe so strongly in that and the fact that there is a market, an industry, a way for me to show my work to the general public without them having to constantly ask, "What's that supposed to mean? What is this? Why is your work so dark?"... ah, I can finally breath!! When my work can't be seen in the right context or environment, most people don't get it unless they know me personally. My problem now is finding a company that is looking for someone like me with my skills or talents. Definitely my passion because for me, it's no longer a job. It's a career choice and a path of life. And like you said, Lurker, if I can get paid for making people feel out of their wits, even better.

Comment

Working...
      X