No announcement yet.

suicide scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brandon, sorry. I thought I remembered Ethan telling me he worked with them. And no, I didn't get a chance to swing down this year. But it sounds much cheaper than going with a kit.

Comment

No worries.

I should clarify, the setup I designed this year is not a suicide scenario rip off. It doesn't work or portray anything like the HE SS kit. The only two things they have in common is that there is an actor (our new set actually requires two actors) and it's a water spray type of prop. I didn't want anyone to think I was ripping off HE's scenario and rebuilt it to be better.

Though, that leads me to bring up what Allen said about sending them $20 for the idea. I actually disagree with that, at least in this particular case. I'm really tired of vendors showing one thing at Transworld, MHC, etc, then delivering something entirely different. Or alternately, delivering a prop that might last for 3 nights (Scare Factory and Poison Props both come to mind. Poison Props actually wins for shortest-time-lived prop. It didn't make it through three full nights of *light* patron traffic on our sneak preview weekends two seasons ago. But I'm getting off topic). If these vendors can manage to produce a product that is "As seen at TW!", I wouldn't have any problems simply buying it. HE is an example. If we see something that they made that we like, damn skippy I'm going to produce it in house. If they would manufacture it to work out of the box, let alone last, I would have no problems buying from them. But they don't, so I don't think they deserve a dime. I'm not saying that we have done that, I'm just throwing out an example.

Another example might be Hellevators. Fright Props makes them, so do quite a few other vendors. Who gets the $20 "design commission"? I made ours in house and honestly, short of Disney, I think ours are the best out there. Mine trio of Hellevators do things that no one else in the industry that provides them as a turn-key package can do. Just throwing it out there
      -Brandon Kelm
      Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

Maybe Some Components...

Are built intentionally "Light" to cut down on possible shipping expenses? This could be a very needed consideration.
        Of course the things I build here never have to "travel", so I build them thick, heavy, cause I got this big pile of free, heavy steel a few years ago!
        I could sell a prop for $2,000 and shipping would be $3,500 more!
        but it would NEVER break nor bend, but if it fell on you!
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon_K View Post
          No worries.

I should clarify, the setup I designed this year is not a suicide scenario rip off. It doesn't work or portray anything like the HE SS kit. The only two things they have in common is that there is an actor (our new set actually requires two actors) and it's a water spray type of prop. I didn't want anyone to think I was ripping off HE's scenario and rebuilt it to be better.

Though, that leads me to bring up what Allen said about sending them $20 for the idea. I actually disagree with that, at least in this particular case. I'm really tired of vendors showing one thing at Transworld, MHC, etc, then delivering something entirely different. Or alternately, delivering a prop that might last for 3 nights (Scare Factory and Poison Props both come to mind. Poison Props actually wins for shortest-time-lived prop. It didn't make it through three full nights of *light* patron traffic on our sneak preview weekends two seasons ago. But I'm getting off topic). If these vendors can manage to produce a product that is "As seen at TW!", I wouldn't have any problems simply buying it. HE is an example. If we see something that they made that we like, damn skippy I'm going to produce it in house. If they would manufacture it to work out of the box, let alone last, I would have no problems buying from them. But they don't, so I don't think they deserve a dime. I'm not saying that we have done that, I'm just throwing out an example.

Another example might be Hellevators. Fright Props makes them, so do quite a few other vendors. Who gets the $20 "design commission"? I made ours in house and honestly, short of Disney, I think ours are the best out there. Mine trio of Hellevators do things that no one else in the industry that provides them as a turn-key package can do. Just throwing it out there
          I'm SO excited to head back up there again in January. I talked to Ethan on the phone last night and funny enough from just his description I used your EXACT words. "Sounds like some Disney shit to me." hahahahaha. The emergency button setup, the track system, color coded wires/tubing, everything. Sounds too cool. He also told me you guys did a cattle bolt gun or something instead of the standard suicide setup. When I was up there in January I saw the regular suicide setup but that was when Ethan was still ripping out the factory and getting ready to start on Brine. When I get up there I have to take a ride on those things!!!!
          O'Shawn McClendon
          Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

Working...
          X