The Spinning Crawling Tunnel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Spinning Crawling Tunnel

This is not a vortex tunnel. When I worked at Netherworld so many seasons ago, there was a tunnel in the clown area (downstairs). It was the first time I had seen a tunnel used for anything that wasn’t specifically built for children in an outdoor park. Since then, I have seen them and even removed them from other haunts. But, if you didn’t know, my black book of ideas started when I worked there. The tunnel inspired this idea:
    The Spinning Crawling Tunnel
    There is a round hole in the wall that leads people into a tunnel. As they crawl through, the tunnel begins to sway back and forth. The further they crawl through the more the tunnel rotates and even spins all the way around.
    Picture this as a blending of the fun house tunnel and the crawl tunnel. The difference is there are no motors. This tunnel is moved by the active people inside it (or a near-by actor). This tunnel should not be made of concrete like those in the fun house. I am not sure what you will end up using but please make sure you pad the inside. Additionally, the floor at the end of this tunnel should also be cushioned.
    In the drawing, I simply drew out the idea, much like the pictures. There are none of these made that I know of yet so there are no measurements.
    tunnel.jpg
    tunnel1.jpg
    tunnel2.jpg
    RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Download part 1 of Andrew's Black Book of ideas for haunts here:
    http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=EGQDK8HZ

If it swings all the way around etc, wouldnt you run a great risk of people spinning with it, thus falling and getting hurt?
    http://limbohaunt.com
    Twitter: @LimboHaunt

Comment

yes

Yes.

I agree. I no longer go to carnivals because I don't care for the vendors screaming insults trying to get my money. But when I did go, the fun house nearly every time had a large woman or man stuck inside the rotating tunnel just trying to exit. In my earlier year this was funny shit but not so much now. I agree that going all the way around would be dangerous that's why I said use padding. But if it makes you feel better, there is no way it can go all the way around with more than one person in it, unless the two people had time to rock back and forth to really get it going. If one person is inside it and decides to go for a full 360 (much like in the fun house) I say, let him...It might be fun.

-in the case of actors spinning it while people are inside, this would be nearly impossible, but say he or she does with two people inside. Yeah, that might be a problem. If you don't have any set laws or management in your haunt (giggles), then you can always build this tunnel so that it won't spin all the way around.
      RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Download part 1 of Andrew's Black Book of ideas for haunts here:
      http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=EGQDK8HZ

Comment

Or....a clear tunnel with a second vortex tunnel spinning around it

Comment

"Dogs" on the tunnel

"Dogs as little metal stoppers to keep the full-circle rotation from happening. People fall from the high sides of the tunnel might crash pretty hard on the floor of the tube no matter padding, bones, joints can still move more than they were ready to move causing pain and possible injury.
          Most people really don't like to have to crawl.If they are given a choice,optional paths this is usually the best. If the knees are to be taking half of a peson'a weight there should be at least double carpet padding under a soft carpet, of course carpet needs cleaning once and awhile especially if someone happens to get sick from the motions of rotations or simply crawling with their belly hanging down, fullof food and drink.
          Then there is the possibility of infectious carbuncles..skin oozing on a surface other people's skin will be rubbing against next. (Think:Wrestling Matts)
          If someone gets stuck inside the tunnel be sure and have an emergency paddle to get them moving again or the emergency pole, of course waivers must be signed before entering to give poling rights to the business.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by screamforadream View Post
            Or....a clear tunnel with a second vortex tunnel spinning around it
            Oh my... YES!!! YES!!! I would love to see this effect, very cool! But how could it be done??
            Owner & Host - Flatline Radio
            "Keeping our fingers on the absent pulse of the Haunt Industry."
            sigpic
            flatlineradio.podomatic.com

Comment

Clear acrylic or plexi tunnel that actually extends in to the wooden walls on both sides and then a small simplified version of a vortex tunnel just spinning around it (the acrylic crawl tunnel would obviously be a couple feet off the ground so the tunnel can really spin around it).

Comment

Working...
              X