Anybody remember ......??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody remember ......??

I was on holiday as a kid in Orlando I think it was and there was a place called something like The Wizards fun Den or fun palace, must have been about 1979 or there aboutsjust some things I remember about the walkthrough:

You had to enter through a fireplace

They had a display of Pit and the pendulum with a dummy lying there whilst a sythe swung above him and got ever lower threatening to slice him in half

the finale of the ride/walkthrough was a light show in a circular room where monster heads suddenly appeared behind galss cases

can anybody tell me what this place was and what it was called even where it was exactly??? My memories are quite vague but would love to have the gaps filled in.

Yes, I remember that one too. It's close to universal (but went out of bussiness some time ago) The building is still there. I was there last year and stood at the holiday Inn near Universal and it was right next door. The last thing I know, was that they located a videostore in the building but even that one closed. When I first
    visitit the states , back in 83 it was in business and I gotta have a look for an old
    flyer since I can not remember it's name. But I think something Wizard blabla was right.

Comment

The Mystery Funhouse!

It had a cool library at the beginning, A mirror/glass maze with a skull at the center, a bar maze, a tilted room/mummy section, a dead end maze, an aztec temple - The inner sanctum were they has lots of displays like germs made of play dough in a microscope, they had a theatre of horrors that was a octagonal room of mirrors where they showed monster movies and your behind glass pop ups might have been. Then it turned more into a fun house with climb the rope, a ball pit, silly cut outs for pictures etc. There were also several very old but pretty cool wax figure monster type displays.

It was attached to a lazer tag and putt putt that changed themes several times..the last I remembered was a Jurassic Park style. There was also a restaurant/arcade with gift shops and lots of those sleazy ticket resale/condo booths

They tore it down maybe 6-10 years ago to build hotels, I think.

What a loss!

Thanks

Ben
      NETHERWORLD
      Ben Armstrong
      NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
      www.Fearworld.com
      www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

Thnaks to you both for that, Mystery fun house eh lol it had a wizard at the entrance as i remember that talked and I think moved a little, I was 7 the first time I went there and am 35 now so memories a little vague. I remember the mini-golf next to it too, it had a Shark head that you had to steer your ball into. Wow ..... We stayed at a hotle not so far from the MFH and I think there may have been a Nathan's very close by.

The theatre of horrors as far as I can remember was a very cool light show, and the mirrors back lit to reveal monster heads, dont remember the movies, maybe that was later on?

Agreed though big loss

Comment

Armed with the name of the funhouse have managed to find a tribute page to it, brought back lots of memories .... Enjoy!

http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/mysteryfunhouse.htm

Comment

Right, that's the one. I remember it too. The buildings are still there. The wizard
            theme is gone. But the rest of the building is sitting there next to the Holiday Inn.
            T'was great there. So this is gone and the wax museum in orlando is gone and
            skull kingdom and terror on church street disappeared as well. Somehow it is sad
            when you visit a place you've been before and try to see things you've seen back
            in the days and they are gone. But I guess that's the way things are. I'll drink
            to the mystery fun house and all the others. (It's my sentimental day) cheers.

Comment

Working...
            X