Cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cities

Why are these people such horrible people? Why do we as tax payers, pay these people?

The reason I have started this thread is to ask you all some advice. I have negotiated with 10 locations within city limits and the owners are willing to sign a contract for a lease but the cities never allow it.

I am now in the highest commercial zone that is allowed and have been told that we are only a 15 day circus or carnival style business and can only be open for 15 consecutive days. What are all of you currently being considered under the cities business licensure and also are you temporary businesses or permanent businesses?

Ryan
    The Gallows
    "....Any youth who makes security his main goal, shackles himself at the very start of life's race."
    - Clarence Birdseye

"Entertainment"

We are only open for a few weeks a year, but are permanently occopuying our land.
    -------------------------------
    http://www.fx13studios.com

Comment

As stated above... Some haunts do own/lease there location year-round... but only operate in Sept. and Oct.

Maybe you should look at local fairgrounds or establish the haunt more as a BUSINESS that offers entertainment. Is there any way you could be open more the 15 days or is that all the city allows?

Ryan, your in Utah right? How do other haunts manage to open? I would suggest traveling around to haunts and haunt owners... talking, networking... wait, that's what your doing now!!!

I would also suggest you try to work hand-in-hand with your city government/chamber of commerce. If you work with them, they may allow you to occupy some of those buildings.

Remember you would be bringing in more tourism, to a city that means more money, and that the city should embrace that fact that you want to open a seasonal entertainment venue!

Good luck man. -Tyler
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Year's ago...
        I lost my butt' trying to develop a piece of real estate property!
        after learning the hard way, Now, I use an attorney!
        It mite cost a little $$. But well worth it..
        They will get the job done,,
        Try calling one for advise,
        my 2 cents..
        good luck..
        Ghoul Town

Comment

We are considered an "Entertainment" business in Green Bay and the property we use is zoned "E9" or exempt. I asked regarding permits and needed none as long as my building expector and fire marshal approved it which they both have already. The city even offered to help advertise to draw more peeps to the city. Kinda sucks your city isnt being as helpful.

Sean
          Sean De Wane
          ----------------------------------------------
          The De Wane Asylum
          www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Sorry you guys are have so much trouble. When I first started thinking about opening a haunt, I never thought that the location was going to be the hardest part.
            Greg Salyers
            Fear Entertainment

Comment

Cities 1 The gallows 0

Well they won this round....

We are done, put a fork in us we are done!

We have lost the time we have to do this haunt this year. We fought the cities and they won! I have sunk about 5000.00 into it and I guess it will sit in a storage unit for 12 months collecting dust. It is so frustrating to see a years worth of hard work go into storage because of some snobby City officials. I know which cities will allow a haunt now so next year I will plan accordingly.

I guess it is bittersweet, now I can do all the stupid home projects my wife has been threatening to leave me for. Yeah remodeling with out blood and corpses! That does not sound fun at all. Help I am stuck in Suburbia HELL! Just Kidding.

I guess I will have a 5000.00 dollar home haunt!

Thank you for your help but I will continue to be a pest on these forums.

Ryan
              The Gallows
              "....Any youth who makes security his main goal, shackles himself at the very start of life's race."
              - Clarence Birdseye

Comment

Sometimes it seems as if certain businesses are singled out and picked on over and above the mere hassle of "government" that awaits anyone in every potential enterprise.
                By the end of second grade I guess we all should be realising that some get special favors and some are picked on...
                A local tourism-money-spending part of local government gave many thousands of dollars in free billboard advertising to a guy with a motel/restaurant simply because the sign was out of this county yet my out-of-county sign got no financial help at all even though their by-laws said I should. Then they said they only help non-profit charity types of businesses.......since when is a motel/restaurant a charity ?
                He is the "Big Guy" with clout, I am the homegrown little idiot, therein lies the difference.
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Ryan,

What town are you in?

I'm familiar with much of Utah, and perhaps someone here could help if they know where you are trying to operate.

Michael
                  (formerly of Provo)

Comment

Main reason some Cities do not like Haunted Houses is because some cities/fire marshals see it as a literal death trap and would not want the bad plubicity if one of these "death traps" would catch on fire.
                    5 years in the business and still ticking
                    Ive been through HELL on Earth. What can you do?
                    USSN

Comment

Utah

Well I am not willing to go out of my county which is Salt Lake. We have the biggest concentration of people. But I have come to realize that Sandy and West Jordan and Midvale and Murray will not work with you. Draper is too expensive and the west side will do it but you will eliminate the east side residence because they are too scared to come over here. It looks like actual Salt Lake City or South Salt Lake is the only place that will work.

Ryan
                      - Clarence Birdseye

Comment

Working...
                      X