Tips on getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on getting started

Will be opening a new haunt as you may know from my other threads but I overall need some tips on how to get started. I think my building problem is solved although I'm not sure it will be enough space. Its only 40' by 60' and includes a grass lot I can use for parking. This is a good size to start but is it enough to expand as the years progress? Also what do you guys recomend for a haunt book or even haunt dvds? Other questions are how much money did you guys need to start off your haunt? And if you dont mind me asking how much do you make a year and in what ways do you acheive that, such as ticket pricing and number of people you get into your haunt every minute. I know it will vary on weeknight and weekends but I am just looking for a rough estimate. Any other tips would be great.

I am not an expert, but it would seem like you are running out of time. How did you find your location...just curious, because that is what stopped me from opening. Have you had the Fire Marshall come out and inspect it yet?
    Greg Salyers
    Fear Entertainment

Comment

I am 80% sure I wont open this year. I'm shooting for 2008. The building I have not gone through on yet because I'm still going around making sure theres no better ones. My sister is a realtor and finds um very easy, some before they are put out to the public. And her ex husband is a fire marshall so I can get him to inspect for free. :-D

Comment

I'm a realtor as well and finding a building for rent is easy, finding one that is conducive to a haunt is hard....sprinkler, electrical, parking, access, willing to do short term lease, etc. Having an inside with the Fire Marshall will be a big help. Good luck, I am planning on trying again next year.
        Greg Salyers
        Fear Entertainment

Comment

Yes I have found plenty of buildings for lease but for me that can't cut it, I want a building where I can leave my haunt up and in the off season improve and expand rather than take it down every year. And paying a monthly rent will be too much for me. I live in a town of 98,000. Odessa actually and their are quite a few abandoned and old warehouses around so I'm hoping one comes up for sale at a reasonable price sometime before february.

Comment

I ran my house for a few years before I really sought any publicity because I was still building it and figuring out how to entertain people, I didn't want to open prematurely and blow it by not having enough show to sustain the admission price(nobody likes to feel ripped -off!)
            Study-Think-Do.
            Then determine what kind of a show it is that you want to do or can do with what you have to work with. Most new shows rely upon more actors and storyline and quick scares, later the money can often provide some more sophisticated displays and devices, I recommend building them yourself if at all possible to be able to accumulate more money to sustain your show.
            Whatever your personal talent or strengh is , go with it.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
            X