Working with latex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with latex

When working with latex to help support facial peices and what not I read somewhere that a hair dryer can be used to help cure the latex. What it didnt say was if you should use a hot air gun or one that shoots cold air. Any input or advice?

thanks!

Sean
    Sean De Wane
    ----------------------------------------------
    The De Wane Asylum
    www.dewaneasylum.com

When using the hair dryer, you can use either the warm setting or the cool shot. It really depends on the actor. The warmer setting will help set faster. The cool shot will help a little, but can be more tolerable for the actor. The dryers we use have a cool shot button, this way you can have the dryer on warm, but hit the cool shot every once in a while to keep the actor from getting too hot or causing a burn. If you use the hair dryer on continous warm, move it around, and pull it away from the body part frequently, again to protect the actor.
    Are you using latex to set prosthetic pieces? If so, you may want to try pros-aide or spirit gum to set the piece, then use the latex to blend in the piece.

Comment

thank you for the tip. that was exactly what i was looking for. Anyone else have any hints or tips regarding latex?

Sean
      Sean De Wane
      The De Wane Asylum
      www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

your main focus with the blow dryer should be on the latex piece. make sure that piece is nice and sticky! when using the hair dryer on your actor(s) keep the dryer moving on the actor's face since. as warlord mentioned, you don't want to cause any discomfort. also remember when you plut your spirit gum (or whatever you use). put more on the latex or foam piece and just a few drops in the right places on your actor's face (outline of the foam or latex piece, bridge of the nose, etc.) .

good luck and have fun
        jason

Comment

Maniac,
          I am a true lover of liquid latex! Everything i do revolves around latex work.

I have even started doing tutorial demonstrations via my myspace page for haunt actors feel free to take a look.
          Album titled 3rd Degree Burn. http://www.myspace.com/babyman13

Im working on getting more done tonight as well as a few more over the next few weeks. Im training a new make up crew and we all use myspace so this seemed like an easy way to teach them step by step.

Feel free to ask any questions!
          Kevin

Comment

i wouldnt suggest using a heat gun on latex...especially if there is an actor behind the latex...the heat guns vary by manufacturer but i know they can reach a few hundred degrees...and that would be bad...the goal is to make the actor/actress look like they are bloody and disgusting, not actually make them bloody and disgusting...lol...also, extreme heat will burn the latex and make it caramely, sticky, and it smells bad...a hair dryer will work fine, however they also can get pretty warm, so either keep moving the dryer around, or use the cool button to prevent discomfort...take care

maddi

Comment

great advice from everyone! thanks alot...

Sean
              Sean De Wane
              The De Wane Asylum
              www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Working...
              X