How Do I Give A Weathered Look to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Give A Weathered Look to...

Hello, everyone. In the persuit of greater detail, I'm looking up ways to make the following look weathered or old and used:

-Wood
    -Sheets
    -Metal

Right now, I have little info on how to accomplish this.

Any advice given will be appreciated.

I'm sure there is something here on Mark's site:
    http://www.halloweenmonsterlist.info/

You might want to wear a diaper before you think you want to look at this?
    Thanks, Jeff
    www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
    www.HauntForum.com
    www.MidWestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

Wood: You can give it a wash with watered down dark grey acrylic paint to make it look more sun bleached or you can use a hatchet to mess the edged of it up and then apply a dark stain. If you have some time on your hands, you can always just dig a shallow hole and bury the wood in it. Leave it for a while then pull it up. It's natural aging...but it is at a faster pace than usual.

Sheets: Tear holes in them and stain them with watered down food coring dyes. Use a dark reddish-brown to simulate old blood stains or a pale yellow to simulate...well you get the idea.

Metal: If it is steel, mix up some salt water, put it in a spray bottle, and spritz it all over the piece. It will rust VERY quickly...sometimes within hours...most times within a couple days. If it isn't steel, I'm not totally sure what to do. Try making splatters and runs of watered down acrylic paint in blacks, greens, browns, and whites to simulate grime, mildew, oxidation, corrosion, etc.

Hope that helps.
      Kip Polley
      www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
      We Engineer Fear

Comment

One way to make wood look "aged" is to make a dark grey stain. You take some VERY fine steel wool, as much as you can gently stuff into a 5 gallon plastic pail. Next fill the pail about half way with water and a cup of salt. You can also add about a gallon of vinegar and leave it alone, covered for about a week.
        By that time the steel wool will be gone and you'll have a very dark stain. You can thin it out a bit with water.
        Use like regular stain and with all other stains, use latex gloves. It's cheap and best of all, looks a lot like old, weathered wood.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

To age wood, dissolve half a bag of Ironite plant fertilizer overnight. In the morning strain the remaining particulates and put the contents in a spray bottle. After spraying the wood, it wil have an aged greenish look.
          Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

A length of heavy chain will do wonders as well and will work great on the 3 items that you mentioned.

Use is pretty simple.. Lay object on ground, swing chain until desired look is achieved.
            -Brandon Kelm
            Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X