Auditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auditions

Just wondering what kinds of things you have your actors do at auditions?
    www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Dirk you really need to redirect your post to Haunted Help Wanted List! This is really starting to get ridiculous! I dont know where Larry is but he really needs to do something about this! gotcha! i thought your post with your cfx mask was pretty funny! So I had to mess withya!
    Damon
    Damon Carson

Comment

Woa is me, Cant seem to do anything right....
      www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

Ron, one thing we always did was put the actor on the spot. Give them 3o sec to think of a character and then have them tell you the history of the character. Where they are from, there upbrining, how they became the way they are and what not. This will do two things. One teaches improv and fast thinking which all haunt actors need and also gets them thinking of a character for themself if they are hired. It was a fun activity that everyone enjoyed.

Another fun thing we did was the "horor movie quiz" The actors that did better on the quiz and new more about horror related topics got the better acting spots and those who new little about horror (the highschool kids that only came to act to get community service hours for school and don't give two craps about acting) got the break away doors.
        Sean De Wane
        ----------------------------------------------
        The De Wane Asylum
        www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Sean i was one of your supervisors and i dont recall you ever doing this so when did this ever happen? So im just wondering when any of this happened, because i never had to do any of that or never saw or heard of anyone else having to do this.
          Kyle Guillette
          Dysfunctional Concepts-Haunted Alaskan Motel

Comment

Why are you here?

Have you ever worked a Haunt before?

Do you have any theatrical or other training that might be beneficial (Make up, set design, etc)

How would you handle "x" situation?

How would you handle "y" situation?

In 30 seconds or less give me your best scary face or demeanor -

That helps weed some out.

Good luck and I would recommend auditions (no matter what type haunt you run) our turnover and ratio of good actors has tripled since we started this process in depth. From 140 Actors over a year period to less than 70. When you have 50 a night and only lose 15 to 20 - that's great! (Well for us!)

Comment

try outs

We tie their hands to the headboard and their feet to the footboard lite a bunch of candles get a teeter tooter with a 15 gallon container of lime jello on one end then the dwarf climbs the six foot ladder and - oh wait I am on the wrong board -nevermind
              Aw

Comment

SW gives each applicant a photo of a creature, then they ask that person to be that creature in front of a panel of 3 people. They have 30 seconds.

Then they are asked to read a line or two of dialogue and act accordingly, like it was a movie script.

Finally they are asked to demonstrate a scream or laugh they they can reasonably maintain all night.

It tends to knock out about half the applicants...
                http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Kyle AKA: Hauntman666

We adapted this last year on Broadway. We had Kevin Kusel come in to handle the 30 sec character challenge. It worked out extreamly well and some of our star actors actually developed awesome characters. The quiz is something we started in the east town mall. We used it more less as a fun tool to see who knew more about horror movies and what not.

Ron asked for suggestions so I gave him Ideas that worked for us past and present. I'm sorry for not giving direct years one which we did what activities, it seemed pretty irrelivent.

How's your haunt coming along BTW? it's been like what 3/4 years now and I have not seen anything yet??? :-D
                  Sean De Wane
                  The De Wane Asylum
                  www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Ron, this is a GREAT question! I've toyed with the idea of holding actual auditions. The most we've ever done, but we didn't do this last year, was to ask the candidates to demonstrate their best scream. I typically ask questions like, "Can you describe a role you see yourself in?" Like Mr. Nightmarez, we also as scenario questions and ask how they would respons to being in these situations. The funny thing is, there are people who sit in the interview chair and they don't really come off as very outgoing, but when they are in makeup and costume they go nuts! I've had people with zero acting experience become some of my best Actors! I tend to hire based more on attitude and passion than anything else.

Like MMManiac, I like to ask about horror movies to see what they know. It does seem to ring true that those with a love for the genre have a good grasp on visualizing and delivering a good horror scene. In the end though, the top seller for me is a positive attitude over everthing else. An outstanding Actor with lots of experience, but with a prima-donna attitude will be FAR more trouble than they are worth! At our workshops I always try to stress that no one is more important than anyone else and we don't do drama. I stress this in the interviews as well.

Thanks again for the great question Ron! I'm enjoying reading the responses and learning from the insights!

Kel
                    sigpic
                    Kelly Allen
                    Raycliff Manor Haunted Attraction
                    www.RaycliffManor.com
                    www.Facebook.com/RaycliffManor
                    www.HauntBook.com

Comment

sorry

sorry everyone about the posts there but yea i do agree that its good to have people do an imprompto on a character for 30 seconds to a min and its always good to know what they can do if they can help with makeup, getting costumes ready, making masks, etc. Also knowing if they have worked at another haunt, which role they worked in and for how long
                      Kyle Guillette
                      Dysfunctional Concepts-Haunted Alaskan Motel

Comment

Kyle brings up a good point regarding if they worked in another haunt or not. I believe it was two years ago we had someone ask to volunteer. He seemd like he would be good for our haunt so we said yes. Later we found out he worked at two other haunts before mine and got kicked out of both. I found out why. After two days of volunteering he ended up getting really drunk at our haunt one night, (must have had something hidden in his pocket) and dameged alot of props. After we kicked him out he went to yet another haunt in the area and did the same thing. This time he got really drunk there and tried jumping over there big bon fire and landed in the fire. They had to have a rescue squad take him to the hospital. I never heard what hapepend, but I'm assuming the haunt was responsible for the medical bills...
                        Sean De Wane
                        The De Wane Asylum
                        www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Working...
                        X