Thrillvania in Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrillvania in Dallas

Okay, so the review is just a little late, like three months... my wife and I went to Thrillvania the Saturday before Halloween this past year. Thrillvania is a multi-attraction haunt with four separate haunts, a maze, a magic show, a petting zoo (all the baby animals seemed very out of place).
    • The maze was chainlink fence with strobes. Because it was chainlink, you could see through it and that meant you could stay oriented the whole time so it wound up not being much of a challenge.
      [/*]
    • Magic show was fine.
      [/*]
    • Haunt #1, Dr. Lycan's Trail of Terror was an outdoor haunt that you walked through. This one was pretty good and if it were not for the teens ahead of us, we'd have had a great time... well done.
      [/*]
    • Haunt#2, Granny Lupus Seance Theatre was different because it was all animatronics, no live actors at all. Kind of cool but the poor quality of the audio really detracted from it. I was not scared or even surprised but my wife was.
      [/*]
    • Haunt #3, Labryinth of Chaos was my favorite. Classic haunted house, they did a very good job with this one.
      [/*]
    • Haunt #4, Verdun Manor, the main haunt. First, the line is designed to wind its way back and forth like all lines to haunted houses do, but rather than just having people bored in line, almost every ten feet they had a new display of some kind... a hanging man twitching, a graveyard, a swamp... each new scene was hidden by cleverly placed bushes, trees, shacks, etc. so you never knew what was around the corner. This was by far the coolest wait in line I have ever had.

But the haunted house itself disappointed big time. The folks putting this on have made the terrible mistake of confusing gore with horror. There was almost no suspense, no surprise. Just a lot of gore, banging noises and predictable props popping up. I knew it was bad because it didn't even rattle my wife at all. In fact, she turned to me at one point and commented that even she could predict what was coming next.
      [/*]
    Overall, I'd give the Thrillvania park a B-/C+ . It's the kind of place that just a little more emphasis on the creative side of spooking could really make it special, but as it stands it was just a lot of latex and fake blood.
    While friends and loved ones mourn your silly grave, I have other uses for you, darling. ~ I love the Dead, Alice Cooper
Working...
X