How do you set up your lights? Need some feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you set up your lights? Need some feedback

Hi guys, last year was my first year setting up a haunted house (6000sqft) --- we didn't find much tutorial on setting up haunt lights (wiring and positioning) so we just did what came natural:

1. after the rooms were built, we connected a long extension cord to a LED spotlight and moved around the room until we thought the effect was right. sometimes we switch the LED colors and try again.

2. once we decided the color and position of the spotlight, we'd mount it and repeat for the next light fixture.

however we came up with the following problems:

1. dragging an extension cord around the different rooms was a real pain
    2. many times we'd connect (+) and (-) terminals in reverse (we used 12V LED spotlights) and have to go back and rewire.
    3. sometimes having OK'd each individual light doesn't mean all the lights together look good, so more rewiring after the initial light up.

so here's the SOLUTION we came up with, I'm hoping others can offer some suggestions

1. we created our own 12V LED spotlight modules that didn't care about (+) and (-) terminals. you just connect it either way to your power supply wire and it lights up.
    2. we created a portable 12V battery module that connects to the LED lamps as we test them, this way we can "pre-light" the haunt before committing it to the permanent power source

Does anyone else think this is something they might use?

We initially made these for ourselves but feel that other haunt owners may find it useful. Come check out http://darklight.e5design.com we're gonna launch our product at Transworld 2010.

Please let us know if there are any other problems with lighting installation, we'll figure something out and make a new product out of it =)

our custom LED spotlight

our custom portable 12V battery kit
    sigpic
    The world's SMALLEST and BRIGHTEST LED spotlights! Built for haunters.

We do pretty much what you do, one room at a time, one led light at a time. I run all my power supplies first then go back and start adding lights, then I don't need to drag an extension cord around. Besides it being a slow process, (but thats my fault, im very picky about lighting) I don't really have any problems when doing my lighting, thats one of the reasons I love using the little suckers!

I do like the idea of your battery powered tester, I will make sure to check you guys out at St Louis.

-Joel-
    Heartstoppers
    Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
    www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

Comment

Originally posted by ClusterOne View Post
      We do pretty much what you do, one room at a time, one led light at a time. I run all my power supplies first then go back and start adding lights, then I don't need to drag an extension cord around. Besides it being a slow process, (but thats my fault, im very picky about lighting) I don't really have any problems when doing my lighting, thats one of the reasons I love using the little suckers!

I do like the idea of your battery powered tester, I will make sure to check you guys out at St Louis.

-Joel-
      thanks for the feedback Joel,
      we'll also be releasing a new feature that allows you to create a "T" junction in your wires very rapidly: that is, if you have a power line and you want to add a light in the middle of the power line, we have a junction that snaps onto the existing line and splits an additional line off of it for you to connect extra LEDs. great way to modify existing work w/o much rewiring.

hope to impress you with a bunch of features at TransWorld!

Quan
      http://darklight.e5design.com
      sigpic
      The world's SMALLEST and BRIGHTEST LED spotlights! Built for haunters.

Comment

I wouild love to know more about your lights, and would like to extend an invitation to show at the West Coast Haunters Convention this May.

www.westcoasthauntersconvention.com

Ed Roberts
        Event Manager
        Ed Roberts
        Founder
        The Nightmare Factory
        www.nightmarefactorysalem.com
        www.westcoasthauntersconvention.com

Comment

Working...
        X