Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you connect your wall panels to each other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you connect your wall panels to each other?

We are adding a second haunt this year and will need to build it from scratch. Since we will need to build about 150 new wall panels I thought I should check and see if there any new techniques I should consider.

Our existing panels are the typical 4x8 size constructed with 2x4 frames and 1/4 luan facing. While there are many minor variations to this design I have not found a compelling reason to change. (However, I am open to suggestions.)

My question is how do you connect your wall panels to each other? For single sided panels we simply screw through the adjoining 2x4s on the back side; for double sided panels we use metal plates with screw holes. These plates straddle the joint and we screw them down. We use flat plates for a straight connection and angled ones for a corner. This method has worked well for us but with six screws per plate and three plates per connection it can be slow going. Is there a more efficient approach I should be considering?

Thanks.

Rob
    rob@frightworks.com

I don't know how much more/less efficent it is, but when we put up double sided walls we only attach on side of plywood when he set up the walls in order to have access to the 2x4s to screw them together. We then go back and add the other sheet of plywood once everything is screwed down. That way we don't have to wrry about having enough bracet/plates when putting up walls - we just use 3" and 1 1/2" screws for everything.

Something to consider...
    Zach Wiechmann
    www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

This may sound flimsy or weak, but for 13 years we have used 2x3 frames with 1/4 luan. For single faced walls we run three 3" screws top, middle, bottom to connect the walls whether a straight line or corner. To keep it true and reinforce it, we run a top plate with two screws in the top of each wall unit. For double face, just remove one side, connect the walls, and reattach. It really doesn't take much longer.

We have to set up and tear down each season and the wear and tear on your back is night and day with the 2x3's

nat
      The Asylum House
      www.theasylumhouse.com
      theasylumhouse@yahoo.com

Comment

Option

Another way that may work for you is to get carriage bolts with washers and nuts. Label your panels or use the same measurements for each hole ( 2,4,6 feet) drill a hole through both walls and bolt them together (i would use three on a 8 x8 wall top, middle and bottom). This will make it easier to change the path if you want to later as far as getting the panels in line again. Once you are ready to break down the walls for storage remove the bolts and place them in a bucket for next year. It may be a little more expensive at first but you do not have to attempt to save the screws, buy new ones or worry about them breaking when taking them out. Hope this helps.

Comment

How About..

Using 1/4inch dowel rods and construction paper and lots of masking tape?
          hahahah! (I have built some things using this method,, because ,, I had No Money!)
          Building stuff that will be exposed to the weather I buy pressure-treated 2 by 4s and plywood, fairly thin plywood will do. I saw a 1 1/2 inch diameter pvc or abs plastic pipe length-wise and then cap the top of the sheet of plywood with it keeping out most of the destructive of nature's elements and creating a smooth surface to repell bird shit and eliminate slivers if it's only a low wall.
          Use a table saw to notch the plastic pipe, set the blade very low for added safety.
          There have been other wall systems-fasteners but I think this would only pay off if you were paying hired help by the hour to do this, which many of us are not.
          I am simultaneously the hired help, the owner, Boss and the hired helpless! (And the screaming cripple who keeps screaming:"Bring it on! Bring it on!")
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
          X