Modular versus BYO Haunt Designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modular versus BYO Haunt Designs

Was curious what types of experiences anyone has had with purchasing modular wall systems for haunted attractions. There seem to be some decent looking modular systems that are complete with props/sound systems. Actually some of them are quite exciting looking! However, they come with a pricey tag. So, those of you who own a modular wall system - what have been your experiences?... what was your budget?... what was included?... and who did you purchase from?... pros & cons?

Appears to me that they are like working with a contractor, and you need to know exactly what you are getting for the $, and getting reviews/feedback from as many people as possible.

Thanks for your insight!

All haunted house walls should be built modular even if you install your haunted house once and plan to stay there for 10 years. If something ever happens you can remove the walls and reinstall in a new location with ease.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

With anything, there are pros and cons.
      Here are the pros as I see them.

Someone else does most of the work
      There is a good chance that the company that builds the panels are more skilled at doing this than you are (this stands to reason since they reproduce wall panels repeatedly)
      It sounds good to inspectors when you tell them that the haunted house was purchased from a professional haunted house production company
      If you shop around, you can find some really good deals, especially when buying used.
      The process can be very quick

The cons
      If you are not careful, this can be an expensive route to take
      spending this much money with a vendor can sometimes be risky (buy from a reputable vendor)
      You cheat yourself out of the experience of building your own wall panels, building your own is both educational and rewarding
      The process can be very slow, depending upon the vendor

I have taken both routes and at the time, I believe that I made the right decision. It all depends on how much time you have, how good of a deal you can get and what your abilities are. If you plan on building your own, consult with some people who have done it. Once you have a solid plan, they can give you reasonable estimate of how much time it should take.
      www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

Thanks, can you make any recommendations of companies you have worked with, or to stay away from?

Comment

You can easy build your own modular walls. Make them all 4' by 8', you can make them outta 2 by 4s, or a lighter and cheaper solution 2 by 2s. You may have to build a few odd ball sized walls, but this will be by far cheaper than buying. I have a design to build a 4 by 8 wall for around ten dollars, they work great indoors or outdoors.

Comment

Working...
          X