Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunter Demographics - Education

Hello fellow fiends,

I'm doing a bit of demographic research into who becomes a haunter. My first poll is regarding the education level of haunters. No judgements here. I am just seeking raw data at the moment.

POLL IS ANONYMOUS!

Thanks!
    TODD
    I'm under 18, and still in school
    0.00%
    Did not graduate high school
    2.22%
    High school graduate
    2.22%
    Technical / Vocational school graduate
    8.89%
    Currently attending college
    4.44%
    Attended college, but did not graduate
    11.11%
    Earned Associate's degree
    22.22%
    Earned Bachelor's degree
    40.00%
    Earned Master's degree or above
    8.89%
    Last edited by Dark Tiki Studios; 07-15-2015, 04:38 PM.
    Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

My edumication

Mostly came from being forced to make business decisions for farm and renting ground while in Junior High. bought first farm just after high school. After my edumication this dumb dirt farmer took a two year course at Michigan State.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

I started this thread in hopes of gathering raw data, not really starting a discussion, however you make some good points mrfoos. Thanks to the internet, we do indeed have access to more educational information than ever in history. In fact, I took a web design/development class at the community college this winter (so I could learn to make a better website for the haunt), and on the first day the instructor announced to the class, "Taking a class in web design won't really teach you how to be web designer. I can guide you, and help you learn what to study, but if you really want to learn it in-depth, use the tutorials on Lynda.com. That's where i learned web design." I kid you not!

I don't regret going to college (and the internet barely existed then), but I do regret the student loans. I worked (at good ol' Walmart) during college, but I still racked-up student loans. I'm over 40, and still paying on them. If I had it to do over, I'd find a different way to pay for it. I'd find a less expensive school, and/or work more jobs, and/or study harder and get more scholarships, and/or anything I had to do to not rack up that debt. Those student loans haunt me more than any ghost ever could.

Originally posted by mrfoos
      I come from a family of academic over-achievers. Most of my family obtained masters in what-ever and one brother had a PhD in nuclear physics. I only have a 4-year degree in computer science so I was probably the "least likely to succeed or do well". I have a pretty easy day job as a programmer type. I'm not getting rich but it's funding my startup haunt. My thoughts on college now? WASTE of time and money. It's a glorified high school with more beer and sex (for most kids). Want to learn something? Learn it. The world has never had as easy access to free knowledge and training as we do now with the Internet now. Most people leave high school and slide into college because it's just the thing people do. That's minimal four years you could be teaching yourself exactly what you want to know AND you could simultaneously be working in whatever industry that is. FOUR YEARS! That's a lot of time bros. Of course, there are some professions college is necessary in our world... doctors, lawyers, etc... but the list is pretty short. Actually I've even heard stories of people in prison that hit the law books on their own and became very proficient legal experts. Probably half the guys I've worked with in the corporate world had degrees and half didn't. NO FREAKING DIFFERENCE. Smart people figure things out. Hard workers put in the time. I have seen no correlation between people who went to college and effectiveness in the work place.

Summary: I want my four years I lost in college back.

I know that's way more than you were asking. It's still kind of a sore spot for me.

Comment

I need to get that tattooed on my arm, and tour high schools explaining it to students.

Perfectly said! haha

Comment

Ed.D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Viewed close to 400 times, and only 30 people participated in the poll? Is that common?

The poll IS anonymous.

Comment

An generally unknown fact that people with banner advertising don't want to know about is that a significant percentage of web traffic is via web bots.
              Interesting...

Comment

Maybe the 41 who voted were the ones who were smart enough to know how to vote in the poll.
                www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

Working...
                X