Help, I need some advice on masks vs makeup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, I need some advice on masks vs makeup

Okay, so I'm trying to do some research. I've worked in a haunt (house, corn maze, and hayride but usually end up in the house) for a couple years. I'm torn on what to do this year. The owners don't have a big budget so I provide my own costuming and mask or makeup. I want to do something realistic. I've used a latex mask mostly and some makeup. I can't afford a silicone mask. I really can't afford to buy a new prosthetic every weekend either. It seems that the latex mask just doesnt scare people that much. Would I be better off just doing makeup? How long do prosthetics tend to last? I am open to any recommendations. Thanks for your time.

Justin Connor

You don't necessarily have to spend gobs of money to pull off a decent makeup. There are dozens and dozens of useful YouTube tutorials that show you how to pull off great looks using simple supplies like liquid latex and cotton balls. Pinkstylist does some great videos providing step-by-step instructions on how to create his looks. Powdah FX and Ellimacs SFX are a few of my other favorites.

If you do decide to splurge on a prosthetic, you have plenty of options. One place I DO NOT recommend buying from is The Scream Team. They have beautiful pieces however, they have terrible customer service and I see people complain about them at least once or twice a year.

While most of the prosthetics he uses are very pricey, Sydney Cumbie does AMAZING work on his YouTube channel. I just watch for inspiration - Perhaps you'll find his videos helpful as well!

As far as the longevity of prosthetics, it greatly depends on where you buy them, how thin they are, how you adhere and remove them, as well as the complexity of the piece. I've used the same prosthetic several times throughout the season and could probably even get another season if I wanted. It's all about how you take care of them.

Hope this helps some! Good luck!
    Zach Wiechmann
    www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

What prosthetic maker would you recommend and what material (latex, foam, etc.) do you like? I have watched several of pinkstylists videos and they are awesome. I was wanting to use liquid latex, toilet paper, and cotton ball to build up a prosthetic on my face. My worry is that it will peel off when I'm in the middle of haunting. That would be embarrassing. I'm not sure how it would hold up. That's kind of why I was looking into the possibility of premade prosthetics. I know Pros Aide will do the trick on those. I just didn't think they held up more than 3 or 4 applications. I know I'm not wearing a mask. My visibility is poor and it takes away from the interaction and realism. I would also like to experiment with contacts. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
      X