Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Scareactor Logs - Zombies Grave....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Scareactor Logs - Zombies Grave....

Hi everyone! I'm a new scareactor and I got my first role as a Zombie last night. I'll post some things about what goes on backstage and on stage xD. I wont be naming my haunt but we are one of many haunts in my area with a good staff and amazing sets, anyway here goes!

Night 1 - Dress rehearsal! I and a few other were late auditions, Most of our other cast members had already audited and given parts. So we were kinda wild cards.....
    Luckily we all got parts and i was given the role of a zombie in a graveyard, I was given my beaten up coat and got my makeup done.

It was close to show time so my makeup was kinda a rush job but i knew i had to make it work to my best. Luckily the guest for the dress rehearsal was from other local haunts, And my god.... Some of those guys and gals where hard to scare.... It was somewhat imitating when i tried my best but they just wouldn't scare. But i was able to startle them by banging on the window behind me ( got them everytime xD)
    So far i love doing this and i had some good scares as a newbie.

Im going to invest a little money into my character and get some prosthetic and a little safety gear, If anyone has tips for me that would be great. Sadly with all the growling ( i loved getting into growl offs with some of the guest) i lost my voice a little but it was well worth it! Till next weekend ill eat ya later!

I think you will find this section of the forum pretty dead.

That said, welcome to haunt acting! Don't worry about not being able to scare other haunters, it's pretty difficult.

As for suggestions:
    1. Practice movements in a mirror, particularly for zombies.
    2. Use herbal, non-menthol cough drops to keep your throat from becoming too sore. Menthol basically numbs your throat and makes it difficult.
    3. Citrus juice after your night of acting will act as an anti-inflammatory agent. Orange or pineapple juice work well.
    4. Lemon or orange tea with local honey works wonders to loosen your vocal chords before acting. Honey is anti-bacterial and the heat will relax your vocal chords (so will red wine though, hah).

I keep an eye on this part of the forum to talk with other actors, but it's not very active.

Good luck!

Toothpaste

Comment

Originally posted by Toothpaste View Post
      I think you will find this section of the forum pretty dead.

That said, welcome to haunt acting! Don't worry about not being able to scare other haunters, it's pretty difficult.

As for suggestions:
      1. Practice movements in a mirror, particularly for zombies.
      2. Use herbal, non-menthol cough drops to keep your throat from becoming too sore. Menthol basically numbs your throat and makes it difficult.
      3. Citrus juice after your night of acting will act as an anti-inflammatory agent. Orange or pineapple juice work well.
      4. Lemon or orange tea with local honey works wonders to loosen your vocal chords before acting. Honey is anti-bacterial and the heat will relax your vocal chords (so will red wine though, hah).

I keep an eye on this part of the forum to talk with other actors, but it's not very active.

Good luck!

Toothpaste

Thanks! Today im off to look around at costume shops for props and other things, Ive already got my safety gear ( knees pads etc) But thanks a bunch

Comment

I'm not a haunt actor, but I know from the many haunt tours I've taken that it is hard to scare a haunter.

If you can't scare them, do your best to entertain them.
        Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
        http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

Update 2!

So today I went to our local costume shop and bought a pretty cool prosthetic kit, I also gave away two free tickets for the opening weekend to our haunt! I can't wait to get started on painting my prosthetic. I'm more into realism, So my zombie shall be grayish and gory. All that's left is for me to find a cheap suit and tear it to shards xD

Comment

Yes don't look to scare haunters..

Just do your role and do it good.

My guys have been trying to get me to jump for 16 years. Some still try; most have given up.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

So "sadly" I am no longer needed at the haunted house, But i am proud of the work i did and the extra work i did to make myself into a true scareactor. This was a learning experience for me and i will continue to lean and grow so when i do open my own haunt ill know what to do. As for now this zombie is gonna go get some sleep and food! Happy hauntings

Comment

Originally posted by Abunai View Post
                I'm not a haunt actor, but I know from the many haunt tours I've taken that it is hard to scare a haunter.

If you can't scare them, do your best to entertain them.
                Absolutely! I was scrolling down just to make this very comment. At our haunt, we're still very slow so we have time to do this, what we do is we have our front guys keeping an eye out... if folks come up and look like they will be hard scares or other haunters, we send the message "Down the line".

This way, our actors are trained that when this happens, they look for the harder ones to scare... usually listening to the previous room to get a feel of how it's going to go. If it's obvious they are hard scares, they are instructed to pick one of the given jokes / lines to throw out there. It's a must. Though we can't scare these kinda folks all the time, we can still try to make them smile and have a good time.

To me, there's no other more responsible job than make sure someone has a great time!

Comment

Working...
                X