Alternative Corn field maze ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Corn field maze ideas

We had animals eat all of our cornfield. We transplanted and replanted. What should we do alternatively to an empty field? Thanks

Sorry about your misfortune, hopefully a bad beginning leads to a good ending. As for alternative ideas for filling an empty cornfield, well, a few attractions proved that you don't necessarily need a cornfield to operate a corn maze haunt. In 2010 and 2011 Knott's scary farm ran a haunt called Cornstalkers and then in 2015 Cedar point park also ran a haunt by that same name. Both of those Cornstalker haunts imitated the experience found on the path's of an actual corn maze. (I'm sure video's of both attractions can be found for reference on Youtube) They created that impression by fastening countless numbers of individual cornstalks to wooden snow fencing that was first draped in burlap, the finished results cast a surprisingly similar feel to what you'd come upon in a real corn maze!

Since varmints claimed your crop, you'd need a source to supply a vast quantity of cornstalks, should you chose to follow those Cornstalker haunts. Presuming your goal is to function as a corn maze haunt, than something to consider could be to strategically add in some small to medium sized builds along the path of your maze. This would serve a few purposes, first, it would reduce the number of cornstalk panels. Second, it would benefit your actors by providing some good hiding areas, which is a plus since many times it is not uncommon for guests to spot an actor in a corn maze 15 to 20 feet ahead and lastly, (is lastly a word?) Anywho, last of all, it adds visual appeal which helps to immerse your guests by giving them a more frightful journey through your field!

A few ideas for small to medium builds could be; A creepy looking walk thru corn crib (google old corn crib for reference) or a rustic garden footbridge - an old farm tool shed - a rustic tree branch arbor - a cornstalk tunnel or a cornstalk archway, either of which could house an out of sight air cannon at leg level for a nice scare. An old decrepit wood farm wagon with sides, this would be great for setting down into the wagons bed a "Poison Props" pop up pneumatic dressed as a scarecrow. Also, large hay rolls could be set up vertically, this would give your guests something to safely maneuver around under the moonlight. Of course hay bales make a fitting adornment to a corn maze, they can also be stacked to help form directional pathways.

Should you find yourself with some larger open spaces or in need of a way to block light or adjoining sections of your trail, you can build frames and attach any of the following materials to the frames as a masking device; Nightscream studios Creepy moss in tan, Scare products tan/light tan camo netting or Jute which can be found at Harbor Freight in 200 foot rolls. These are just a few ideas that would not only help you to fill your empty field but could very well beguile your guests as they navigate their way through your twisted trsil. I hope you might find something useful from this response. Best of luck to you and wishing you a safe and successful season.

Comment

Round Bales

I am not sure if you have access to round bales of hay, but I made a maze with 40 round bales that worked out well for me. (made sure that there were large corner fence post on the ground for support so that they wouldn't roll around.)

It will not be as big as a corn maze, but kids and adults love hay bales.

If you have a friend/ farmer neighbor that has round bales, than this might be a quick fix?

Comment

Working...
      X