Sound in your haunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound in your haunts

What are some of your go to vendors for soundscapes or ones that you like? Are there ready made tracks that you seem to use over and over or do you make your own tracks?
    Holy crap scaring people is fun!!!

Adam at Poison Props does AMAZING stuff.

http://poisonprops.com/product-categ...o/ambient-cds/

Also check out Haunt Audio/Halloween Music Galore (a la Gore Galore)

http://hauntaudio.com/

They have a very wide selection of music/ambient soundtracks.
    Zach Wiechmann
    www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Love love love Jerry Vayne. Good stuff and good dude
      Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

Tracks

Great thread and good topic. Going to get up on the soap box for min (not to you nzanesmith but to all of us haunters).

As one of the few audio folks on this board you already know how much I emphasize using REAL audio equipment and spending REAL money on it (like we all do with animatronics, props, costumes, etc) and you also know that sound is a huge part of the immersive guest experience (i.e. universal HHH, Disney, etc...its a big part of their budget for a reason). That said...what you actually put into your audio system is equally as critical. Over the years I have purchased (and still purchase) just about everything I find that would make a great haunted screamscape for various scenes and have amassed a very large library of things. I don't think there is a magic wand for picking tracks as it really depends on the experience you want your guest to feel in a particular part of your attraction.

What is the emotion, what is the scene, what is the scare, what comes next.....does it fit right in the flow? I usually try things out by sitting in the scene at show lighting and see if I get the emotion I want the guest to feel, if not I try something else. Sights, Sounds, Smells.....break that down, and audio is pretty freakin important. What separates the good ones from the great ones.....yup you guessed it (great actors) and great audio to immerse the guest in your world. I worked with Larry K on a project many many years ago and he was making the audio so loud. I asked why and he said it has to feel like a movie and a different world rather than a barn, tent, mall, etc....he of course was right (he was also using real pro audio to create that experience). I have been very passionate about making it more than just ambiance music for haunts ever since. I also have worked with Universal and Disneys audio crews and see how they do it...its impressive to say the least.

I find that some tracks have been my "go to" for years and others I am using for the first time. Do not rule out Midnight Syndicate just because a lot of other haunts use it....its not about you, its about the guest...if its right, use it. Here is what is in my "go to" library. Please go purchase and not steal downloads as if we don't support these artists, they will not make more music for our unique business we work in.

Midnight Syndicate (of course)
        Arcana (different than Nox Arcana)
        Virgil (very diverse for themes)
        Nox Arcana
        Dark Sanctuary
        Creature Feature
        George Sabol
        Mandrel
        Michel Hedstrom
        Phantom of the Organ (use a lot from this one for goth haunts)
        Unto Ashes
        Two Steps from Hell (I use a lot from this one as well...one of my faves for pre roll video, cue lines, etc)

There are several others but this is my primary go to list. From the list above I can do everything from clowns, to seance, to vampires, etc. If something does not work.....I will mash some things together to make it work and perhaps add some of my own pads and bits to it.

These are the music beds but do not forget to use FX as well. These should be combined with sound FX that are pertinent to the scene, scare, etc

Zach and Sean already mentioned some good ones as well...all very good.

The season is upon us so I wish you all a very successful and safe Haunt season....
        Jay (pro audio dude)
        Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Working...
        X