HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: I will not order one damn thing from Transworld 2018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default I will not order one damn thing from Transworld 2018 
    I have contacted powers that be who run Transworld about vendors I am still waiting on product from 2016. I have heard nothing back from them on what they intend to do for vendors who do not fill orders. I will order from my usual reliable vendors of Poison, Distortions and Fright props. I normally drop $15,000 -$20,000 for Transworld. And even what I order from the ones I listed will be cut back. I have had problems with 4 vendors in last few years. I would spread it around to help new guys.....never again.

Wicked Farmer
    Last edited by wickedfarmer; 1 Week Ago at 05:59 AM.

2. Default  
    Seems like a wise choice. I always suggest giving new vendors a few years to get into the swing of things and make sure there are no issues that arise due to unfulfilled orders, quality issues, etc. Seems like every year there's a handful of new vendors that bite off more than they can chew.

Even worse, there's a new batch of eager haunt operators that are excited to buy new and innovative products from these producers who may completely oblivious to the unfulfilled orders or quality issues the company has been known for.

A perfect example of this would be Scarefactory. I have heard countless stories of terrible customer service and shoddy production quality yet every year it seems there's new people to the forums posting about how their products haven't arrived or have arrived in poor shape.

It's disheartening to say the least. It's hard to expect to be considered a professional industry when such businesses operate with such low moral codes.
    Last edited by Front Yard Fright; 1 Week Ago at 11:55 PM.

3. Default  
    Who are you waiting on orders from?

Larry

4. Default Multi year problems... 
    Larry;

Ok you almost cant call yourself a professional haunter until you have a story about Scarefactory not getting you your order....that is a given almost. You post on here about them at show in Orlando and yet Scarefactory is let in year after year to Transworld. I let show know of SF unfilled order I had to go dispute route with credit card company a couple years ago....nothing from them. In 2016 Venom VFX (do not confuse them with VFX who makes the awesome puppets - puppet guys are good) seems to have let down several; me included; and I sent message to show about them. All was going to be Ok in 2017 and they would get me the prop at Transworld 2017 and Venom was even a sponsor/ hosted a party at the show and held drawing. Winner was told no this is not the light you won; we will ship it too you next week. Same next week line of bull I got. I warned the show promoter about some company, and the next year they are a sponsor of show and featured!!!!!!!! It blows my mind that the show would let someone host a party when warned about the company. You can almost pin blame on the show for allowing it to happen in 2017. And then add more people to list of unfilled obligations letting them back in. .And any haunter who did not get order filled by company they are warned about cant get $$$ back even if show did the right thing and gave them free registration and seminar credits for 2018 & 2019; it still will not equal what was lost. There are others I am still waiting on working with and or dispute process with credit card company.

Wicked farmer
    Last edited by wickedfarmer; 1 Week Ago at 06:39 AM.

5. Default  
    The haunt vendor industry seems to me too much like drug dealers who smoke their own dope. They themselves are enthusiasts of their own products and as such they don't treat it like a mature business. I'm completely turned off by the whole vendor conference thing based on their obsession with the conferences instead of obsessing on delivering product to their customers. On three different occasions with three different well known vendors I attempted to order a $1000+ order MONTHS before a conference. Like in January. I was thinking "I'm going to jump ahead of this chaos and get my stuff early." What response do I get? "Sorry but we're focused on preparing for the conferences right now. You can order now but we won't be able to work on delivery until after Transworld (or which ever it was at the time)." And it was literally 2 months before the conference they referenced. WTH? I may not be the largest buyer but when I'm spending thousands of dollars, I certainly won't be treated like an after thought to their crazed conference obsession. So I won't do it. I'll only order when the vendor says they already have the whatever in stock. Yes, I miss out on some cool bling. But I'm not as pissed off.

6. Default  
    Venom VFX should be banned plain and simple!
    Jeff Newcombe
    Night Stalkers Haunted House
    Saginaw, Mi.

7. Default  
    As it relates to Scarefactory on this very board they use to get hammered like ALL THE TIME! I use to defend them and call them on behalf of the person who complained. I use to help get a lot of buyers in touch with Scarefactory. Then I really just stopped ordering from them because their products would like seriously just fall apart on me. So I vowed to never order their stuff again... then they were selling these Zombie inflatables. I ordered 3 of them... paid 10k in advance. They didn't return calls, emails, nothing. I picked up some stuff from Unit 70 and had my guys go over there and find out why they're ignoring all emails and phone calls.

Dave said we'd get everything not to worry... we got NOTHING! So I saw Dave at IAAPA and told him to give me a refund on the spot or else. He did. I have had a booth across from Scarefactory before and I've seen countless people screaming at them for not delivering, answering phone calls, whatever. I've had people confuse me for them screaming at me, I've had customers of theirs ask me to help them get their money back.

It's like off the chain crazy... I have NO IDEA why ANYONE would order from Scarefactory. I personally feel they're the single worst company in the ENTIRE industry.

Why do haunters continue to order from a company that you should already know in advance you may not get the order... and if you do get it probably won't work long.

Larry

8. Default  
    Let me just add this one thing... it seems like a lot of the complaints when it comes to vendors is about new vendors. I think you take a lot of risks workings with new vendors. Some go to the show they have no clue how to fill the orders later. Personally I don't mind ordering from a new company but I won't pay until its shipping and only by credit card so i can get my money back in the event something happens. Or you can simply say I'll pay in cash and pick it up when its done. Giving a deposit to someone you don't know no way!

There are some new companies that do exactly what they say giving an example this new Beastcraft Company. FIRST FREAKING CLASS PEOPLE! NO DOUBT! I ordered from them and would order from them again. FIRST CLASS!

It's just a hit and miss thing.

Larry

9. Default  
    It really is a crapshoot. If you don't support new vendors ,they can't afford to grow into great vendors. BUT I see too many new vendors with just an idea and no concept on the REAL business side!

Honestly we as haunters are a big part of that problem. We see a new prop... the first response is...costs too much ...I'll make it myself. My friend Robert McBroom owns Studio Tek. I have also been a vendor in another line of business, so I have seen both sides.

I know what Robert did to create his Bungee effect. Several years of testing, ACTUAL calculations on stress factors, effective angles, strength tests to determine correct thickness of steel, special bungees designed specifically for this use, ect. Then I see haunters trying to build their own....always on the cheap... with no clue as to what they're doing. Lately a haunter is building and selling rip offs of the design MUCH cheaper.... and selling a bunch of units.

NO CALCULATIONS, NO TESTING, NO HEAVY GRADE STEEL... copied by looking a pictures and snooping at the show... and WE HAUNTERS buy the product! So who do go to when one of the supports snaps because it is undersized and it hits a customer injuring or killing someone?? The bungee snaps because the cheap haunter thought it OK to use it multiple seasons and now his actor is crippled for life.... but we saved a couple bucks!!!

To correct try build and manufacture products you need infrastructure and that costshe money which has to translate into the cost. Building things in your garage with inadequate materials is cheap and allows you a low price point....BUT....your low price gets you multiple orders so now you don't have space to build, you have to buy materials not use what you had laying around for the prototype, you have to hire people because you can't do it yourself.... wow...now you can't AFFORD to produce it at that advertised price!! You LOSE money on every one you build!! So orders don't get fulfilled!!

Several of the good companies were haunt owners. What they did was come up with an idea, build it, run it in their own haunt for a season or two, THEN put it into production. Their stuff always worked!! We want NEW...INNOVATIVE IDEAS...and we want them NOW! Your can't wait a whole season to test a product....someone else will come up with it!

I believe this is the main problem with Scarefactory. Dave innovated and brought a BUNCH of stuff to the show. Then the next year instead of 1 or 2 new items he brought in a whole new line...doubling the product line!! So every year we expect a ton of new props!! There is no way to test, or develop a product, you just need NEW. So stuff breaks, things fall apart...WE BECOME THE TEST MARKET.

You must decide, do you want it good....or do you want it fast? You never get both!

If you support the knock-off vendor you get a cheap, sometimes dangerous prop, and the original reputable vendor goes " ..why come up with something new? I'm just going to get ripped off!"

If you don't support the new vendors you lose the chance of them developing into a great vendor...

Transworld sells space...that's all. Maybe we request that all new vendors are placed together. You have to have some requirements to show in the "main" area. Too many complaints, TW should NOT let them return. Anyone buying from a vendor in the newbie area knows the risks, maybe asks more questions.

People, especially new haunters, see a new "garage" vendor showing next to a well established vendor and assumes them equal!! They see a huge display and assume quality!

It is a HUGE problem, but one we created and perpetuate ourselves! So it's probably up to us to fix.

Ask TW to group vendors, ask vendors questions, support GOOD vendors..NOT knock-off vendors. Do your due diligence or don't complain when you get ripped off!!
    R&J Productions
    Las Vegas, NV
    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

10. Default I have a shop and welder... 
    ...in 17 years I have not made one prop. I never build something I saw at show. Sure I bet I am in the minority on that. I spend my time trading props around the country instead of trying to build someone elses idea. Ok yes I have had to reweld stuff from you know who. And if I didn't peek underneath one props skirt my giant scissor serpeant would have fallen apart after a few lifts because bolts had nuts only finger tightened.

Wicked too damn busy Farmer to build somebody elses prop cheap

Thread Information