No announcement yet.

Haunt visits instead of college visits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunt visits instead of college visits?

Hello Haunters! I am a junior in High School and I'm equipping myself now with skills and experience so that I can work in the haunted house industry after high school. I'm looking to become a worker at an fx studio or something that deals with haunted houses and want to also be envolved with a haunted house in the same area. With the topic of college coming up as senior year approaches, I was thinking why not visit some haunted houses and businesses and get a feel to where I might fit in? I'm willing to move almost anywhere in the US as long as I have something set up. Do you think any fx studios or haunted houses would be open to the idea of me coming down and meeting the team and touring the place to get a feel for everything? Just something interesting I thought about. If you would know of any businesses/haunted houses that might be open to this idea let me know!
    ----------------------------XX---------------------------
    Haunting is a bug. This bug bit me really really hard.

Bump

Bumping just in case anyone is interested

Comment

I was in your shoes about 10 years ago, now haunting is my primary job. As many people on here will tell you, this is a rarity and not an easy path to take, but it is possible. Shoot me an email and I'd be happy to chat with you about the way I went about it and what I've learned. mike@fear-town.com
      Mike Quill
      Fear Town Haunted House

Comment

I'll tell you what I think. When you're YOUNG you have plenty of time to make mistakes. When you're 50 years old you need to use the skills, information, and past experiences to make decisions that work almost every single time. If your future you see as an FX artist there are tons of FX schools you can go to. You can still go to college and get involved with different elements of film, stage productions, while keeping all options open. You can go to an art school, FX school, you could learn carpentry, anything. There is a lot that goes into being a guy that when you need something done you turn to that guy. To be that guy you need to learn a lot. Sure you can try to work at a haunt but your young... go to school and learn something from that perspective. Doesn't mean you can work PART TIME at a haunt or SHOP while you go to school.

Just my opinion. Because before you know it you'll wake up and say to yourself... where did the time go. Time flies so take your opportunity to be young and take your time.

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I'll back up that advice. Many of the people who work for us are part time. Go to school and work part time burn the candle at both ends. Brad

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
            I'll tell you what I think. When you're YOUNG you have plenty of time to make mistakes. When you're 50 years old you need to use the skills, information, and past experiences to make decisions that work almost every single time. If your future you see as an FX artist there are tons of FX schools you can go to. You can still go to college and get involved with different elements of film, stage productions, while keeping all options open. You can go to an art school, FX school, you could learn carpentry, anything. There is a lot that goes into being a guy that when you need something done you turn to that guy. To be that guy you need to learn a lot. Sure you can try to work at a haunt but your young... go to school and learn something from that perspective. Doesn't mean you can work PART TIME at a haunt or SHOP while you go to school.

Just my opinion. Because before you know it you'll wake up and say to yourself... where did the time go. Time flies so take your opportunity to be young and take your time.

Larry
            Thanks for the insight Larry ! I have looked in to some art/fx colleges but have only scraped the surface. Do you know of any off the top of your head I should check out?

Comment

Working...
            X