Hauntworld Home - Halloween Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Gore Galore - Halloween Retail Show

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by drfrightner View Post
    I have NOTHING against people supporting other shows or even the retail show for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfrightner View Post
    From my perspective Gore Galore is a traitor and clearly someone who just wants to be bought off.
    How do you breathe with your head so far up your ass?

Have you even spoken with Kevin? You took what "you thought" and "your opinion" and tried to speak ill of one of the top producers of our industry. You're grasping at straws trying to speak negatively of someone who is just looking to expand his horizons and product line.

You're making false accusations and making an ass of yourself.
    Last edited by Front Yard Fright; 07-31-2018 at 09:33 AM.

2. Default  
    Larry - definitely not calling you out personally, we donít know each other. What Iím saying is society as a whole has a tendency to jump to the conflict conclusion. Just like I said in my first post I donít mean that as a personal attack on you. But thatís another issue all together.

3. Default To be clear to those reading. 
    My comments above did not reflect on Kevin or Gore Galore. Who I think you will soon see is developing things for both retail and professional haunters. The professional haunters seem to be more an dmore interested on cruising Transworld to see what is new and exciting; then go home and steal concepts and ideas and make almost IDENTICAL props. Have even seen Gore Galores items where people want a tutorial on how to make them. Same for skeleton that sways side to side in crouched position with a fan blowing up from underneath. So why wouldn't a business man try to expand into another market when his overhead expenses of a shop and equipment can produce items for retail.

Larry I have to say you coming down so hard on Gore Galore was out of line. But at same time commend you for warning other struggling prop makers just what the retail show is about and if they do not have a line for it they are throwing money away.

But everyone knows I am always a level headed person who never lets passion get the best of him and step out of line. Got a bridge to sell anyone interested too.

Wicked Farmer
    Last edited by wickedfarmer; 07-31-2018 at 02:45 PM.

4. Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedfarmer View Post
    Larry I have to say you coming down so hard on Gore Galore was out of line. But at same time commend you for warning other struggling prop makers just what the retail show is about and if they do not have a line for it they are throwing money away. Wicked Farmer
    Amen, Mark. I truthfully have to say that I just am unable to understand the viewpoint of those who are so upset about this. Kevin is working on a retail line, it will be far less expensive and supplement his haunt products. He has zero intention of abandoning Transworld or his large customers.. far from it. There are few people in this world I have more respect for than Ben Armstrong and Jen. I would never want any adversity to come their way. Perhaps I am just being dense, but I simply cannot understand the harm this would bring to them. Transworld is and will remain THE HAUNTED ATTRACTION SHOW... I would assume everyone knows that. Gore Galore isnít going to somehow be the pied piper who leads all the haunt vendors away from St. Louis, thatís crazy, at least in my opinion.

I think there must be a lot of history here that I am not really privy to that introduces the emotional response. I donít know, I just wish the best to all parties involved and for their continued success, which I feel is assured because good things happen for good people.

Larry, as you should know, I have a lot of respect for your accomplishments and contributions to this industry as well. But I do think your attack on Kevin was out of line and I stand by that. You have a flair for the dramatic my friend.
    Brett Hays, Director
    Fear Fair
    www.fearfair.com

5. Default  
    Although his stuff is still cool, I donít think anyone would say Gore Galore is exactly cutting edge at this point in time. Their booth looks and vibes about the same every year and the tall costumes always felt like a copy of Exmortis stalkarounds. Maybe for him doing a retail show mightget him a new audience?

Jake

6. Default  
    Couple more things i guess...

1) I don't feel I attacked Gore Galore. And I stand by that. I think we live in a world that was described before as dramatic. Look at Russia liberals can't stand the fact that Trump won so every day its Russia Russia Russia Russia. Sometimes I wonder do we live in the United States? Does the news report about anything happening in our country than about Russia. The whole country has gone crazy honestly.

But I do NOT feel I attacked Gore Galore at all... I think I pointed out that he was a traitor to Transworld and or his personal relationship with Jen. Why? Let me re-explain to those who don't understand.

A) Transworld has bent over backwards for Gore Galore. They gave him the best spot in the show.
    B) They added him to their buyers boards.
    C) Anytime Gore Galore had a problem they helped him.

I'm privy to some text messages and emails where Kevin himself has stated (based on what I was told first hand) that he made this decision without speaking to Jen or even letting her know in advance. I was also told that Kevin admitted he was being paid by this show to set up some sort of haunted house displays. Hey this is a FREE MARKET deal he can do that without question and he should do whatever is in his business best interest. I'm not saying he shouldn't but what I am saying is don't you think he should have talked to Jen? Don't you think this comes across as a stab in the back to her and their friendship? He can't really expect them to take this as anything but a shot in the back.

DO you think she's earned that much respect from Kevin? Seriously? Anyone who disagrees is just not a reasonable person.

Jen's family had their entire LIFE business torn away from them by the retail industry. Keven knows that full and he knew full and well this would HURT TRANSWORLD this would hurt Jen. He did it anyway.

I call coward on that.

You know what Brett... I took an ad from these people about 3 years ago. Before I put it in my magazine I personally called Jen and told her, yeah she got upset but I explained why I was taking the ad. Yeah she was upset but respected the fact that I called and let her know. Why wouldn't Kevin call Jen and talk to her about this prior? Well you would probably say because kevin is a grown man running his own business ... and if you said that I would agree with you. On the flip side however when someone bends over backwards to help you time and time again has you on their board, gives you teh best booth space do you think maybe you owe them a phone call before doing this.

Now can you imagine what the relationship is NOW between Transworld and Gore Galore? It wouldn't be hard to guess would it now?

BTW I'm done talking about Gore Galore, I do wish him the best, and hope he does in fact make the right decisions for himself, his family, his staff, and btw this industry. At the end of the day EVERYONE from this retail show in New Orleans to Gore Galore to even myself we're going to always do what is in our best interest.

For the record I don't blame this retail show for doing this, if I was in their shoes I'd probably do the SAME EXACT THING! Hey I'm not mad at them for doing something SMART! Clearly they're smart and have some money to throw around. But they should understand our industry isn't looking for a haunted house show in January, where we play second fiddle to the retail industry. They should save their money and breath because it won't happen it will never happen, I think you'll see hell freeze over before it happens. If these retail people really want the haunt industry to partner there is ONLY ONE REAL OPTION... buy out Transworld.

That is the ONE and ONLY option I see and even then would the vendors follow? Would the show continue to grow when retail is the priority, if booth prices soar? I DOUBT IT!

But hey that is an option right... WRITE A CHECK!

Larry

7. Default  
    Couple things and I'm done talking about this subject.

I stated these things in my last post but wanted to give them their own space.

These retail people the company that now owns that show yeah they're smart for making this move. They're waving around some money, and trying to lure in people to their show. I don't blame them in fact if I was them I'd do the same thing and actually I'd probably be even more aggressive. But who knows whom else they're talking and what their future plans are. They might wave tens of thousands maybe millions to make this fly. I have no clue but don't blame them... clearly they're getting aggressive to grow their business.

One point on that though because I'm pretty sure I'm right here... the haunted house industry is NOT intersted in a tradeshow in January, nor playing second fiddle to retail. The synergy between retail and attractions is GONE its OVER. Transworld has this show going in the right direction now adding Escapes, adding Christmas, adding all the outdoor stuff, and hopefully merging with a family entertainment show.

The haunt industry no matter how much money is thrown at them I can't ever see wanting a show in January where the center stage players are retailers. We want our own show. We want cheap booth prices so ALL vendors can have their shot. Based on my experience I think I'm right.

I don't want to see ANY company from our industry try or even attempt to create a false perception of what is or isn't the MAIN show for this industry.

Lastly, if these retailers really wanted to merge the two shows they would need to call Transworld and write another check. Other than that I don't see it ever happening!

Btw even if they did write a check would the buyers and vendors follow just because it was sold? That is a whole other question.

Just my two cents.

8. Default  
    There is only one haunted house show and everyone knows it. I don't know why any company would try to influence vendors or buyers to another show unless it's for personal gain. When you stop and think about it promoting other shows could hurt some smaller companies. If some vendors attend these shows, spend a lot of money then fail to recoup investment this will hurt those folks. I don't think it's responsible to lend your company name to a show most everyone knows doesn't draw the buyers. Making money is the name of the game especially for these smaller buyer/sellers. I'm not attacking GG or any company but vendor/buyer in the know should have more accountability than the rest. Poor judgment would be my description of this decision. Every company has the right to do what they feel is in their own best interest just don't push that decision onto other companies who're less likely to experience the same benefit. My 2 cents.
    Last edited by hauntfarm; 08-03-2018 at 11:14 AM.

9. Default  
    I wanted to report that I personally was called by this group a couple years ago and was offered to take Leonards place as their main advisor. They wanted to hire me to help them develope their haunt show back when Hauntcon was there the first time. I said no.

I have also now talked to 10 to 12 vendors over the past couple days and apparently this show has reached out to SEVERAL haunt vendors offering all kinds of perks to exhibit. One vendor told me he was offered hotel rooms, flights, and more to exhibit. Again I'm not against any business doing this stuff because hey they want to GROW THEIR BUSINESS! They are committed to develope a haunt show to help their retail show... good for them.

They're working hard at this clearly and willing to pour money into it.

But let me be clear again...

1) The haunt industry does NOT want a show in January.

2) The haunt industry does NOT want to be second fiddle to a retail show.

3) The haunt industry both buyers and vendors want a show committed to growing their show as an attraction based show not RETAIL.

4) The haunt industry does not nor can not afford HIGH booth prices this stunts the growth of our industry.

5) The haunt industry CAN NOT 110% support TWO SHOWS. The Haunt industry does NOT want our industry divided we can't afford it. There can only be ONE SHOW where everything is in one place at one time... all the other shows are what I would call FRINGE shows.

6) Anyone trying to produce a second show to compete with the TRANSWORLD show is WASTING their time. Its already been tried by IAAPA who has way more synergy with our industry than a retail show and it failed. My advice SAVE OUR MONEY or BUY OUT TRANSWORLD. Or sell the retail show to Transworld and let them merge it back together.

My opinions but more than likely they're the facts of the situation.

Larry

10. Default pay no attention; I'm just rambling... 
    But :

"1) The haunt industry does NOT want a show in January. "

Well I would LOVE a haunt show in Jan. Drives me nuts going to St. Louis in late March with blinders on so I do not see tractors in fields. Me personally I would drive to any state in lower 48 in Jan for Transworld. But I know that will not happen. No vendor would have their new stuff ready for a show in Jan. I mean face it. Ed doesn't even start making molds for Distortions stuff till the 2nd week of march as it is. (Sorry Ed...couldn't resist)

Transworld will be where vendors can work with the crew who unload trucks at the at bargain rate of $100 per ounce and only charge $450 to plug in a electrical cord....$600 if you watch. St. Louis seems to be where vendors have figured out how to get along with highway robbery. And it is central...yada yada yada.

Wicked Farmer

Thread Information