Hurricane Haunts in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Haunts in Florida

Terror of Tallahassee dodged a bullet when Hurricane Michael ripped through Florida on Wednesday. The "eye" missed us but we got the intense winds, downed trees, and knocked out power (we're still on generators in my neighborhood). Our main concern was losing our steel roof at the haunt-- but fortunately, that didn't happen. We had an enclosed carport with a tin roof that we use as our final outside station (for a stalk-around scare). I weighed it down with ropes and sandbags, and it suffered only minor damage. Debris everywhere, and some flooding inside one wing, but overall, we were quite lucky.

The main problem with these type of storms is that the power is out for prolonged periods of time. When that happens, it drains the batteries to the Emergency Lights, and you need to disconnect every single one or it will kill the batteries after 3 or 4 days of that. I hate doing it, because it not only takes a ton of time but they're hard to reach and covered and dust and -- well, you get the idea. It's a major pain in the butt, but I bought the rechargers and went to the haunt to start the long, sweaty process of all that disconnecting and removing of 30+ batteries... Then, as I went through the door, the power came back on. (Perfect timing!)

We missed opening for Friday night, but were open Saturday the 13th, so we managed as well as could be expected. Thanks for all the positive thoughts and prayers. We fell terrible for the cities further West of us though, like Panama City. Fortunately, it's an election year, so the politicians are stumbling over themselves urging the bureaucrats to react in timely manner (for once). Let's hope they get a speedy recovery.

www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com
Working...
X