No announcement yet.

Its Official: Transworld Halloween and Haunt Show is Moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might be good for the big show.. the Halloween show... but for hardcore haunters not so much. I like Vegas, I have been before and I will go again. But frankly what Chicago has IS the haunters.

I think that I would rather discuss the business and the fun of haunting all weekend with others that live and breathe this stuff than go see some $130 song and dance, but I bet I will end up at shows and exploring anyway...how can you resist?

It is almost like being stuck in some cabin in the snow...but it doesnt matter where it is, it matters who is there. Frankly everyone will scatter to the winds in Vegas, a massive brain drain, and I also just don't see all the big animation manufacturing guys hauling as much stuff there.

We shall see what happens, the overall show may do great but it just might bust up the haunting culture as we know it, and vanish many of the low volume vendors from the floor.

Only time will tell.

Thanks!

Ben Armstrong
    NETHERWORLD
    Ben Armstrong
    NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
    www.Fearworld.com
    www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

I could agree that the small time vendors would dissapear from the show. Kind of sucks when your trying to make a living at this! -Tyler
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

What a sad thing this is. Well, not just for me, but Haunters in general. I’ve been going to the show for more than 6 years now and I guess that’s all going to come to an end. The nice haunt-feel of the show will be sacrificed for a cold, sterile business atmosphere, which I think is a shame.

From what Larry said, it’s the end of Transworld in Chicago. Transworld being hosted in Chicago was definitely very convenient for myself and Haunters in Chicagoland and the general vicinity.

It’s a mixed bag, for sure. Who will it benefit? Who will it hurt? I think we all know the answer to that question. As Larry said, this change of venue will result in more “qualified buyers” attending the show. That will most definitely benefit the wholesale vendors, who are only interested in dealing with high-volume sales anyway. I suppose with the show in Vegas, the wholesale folks won’t have to worry about “gawkers” swiping their valuable catalogs anymore. But I think that is the only group of vendors the change of location will benefit.

The sad part is that the wholesaler’s gain will be the Haunt vendors’ loss. Due to the distance involved, I’m sure that a number of Haunt vendors won’t attend in Vegas, or at least those who do will downscale their presence, due to the cost alone. The additional cost of travel will result in a lot of low-budget to mid-budget Haunt owners not attending, also. Even with me being as big of a Haunt nut as I am, I’m not sure I’ll be able to attend the Vegas show, due to additional travel costs. Many people traveling from the East will have to pay an additional $200-300 for plane fair, plus the cost of a rental car and other additional expenses. That, in addition to the cost of a hotel, will be just too much for some to pay. Of course that will be a drop in the bucket to those high-end amusement park-type haunts, but how many of them are there, compared to the regular haunters who had attended Transworld before?

The main concentration of Haunts, as I understand it, is in the eastern half of the US. Now the “powers that be” have decided that the Transworld show should be on the opposite end of the country? How much sense does that make? This will make going to the NEW Transworld show more costly and difficult for most Haunters and even Haunt vendors. Perhaps Transworld just doesn’t want to deal with low-budget Haunters and “unqualified” buyers and this is their solution to get rid of them?

Another consideration is that we won’t have Dream Reapers, the Raven’s Grin or Frozen Tundra Tour to attend. Dream Reapers and the Raven’s Grin have definitely become a tradition of Transworld weekend for many people (myself included). I realize there may be haunts that will open in the Las Vegas area, but it won’t be the same. You can call me a sentimental fool, I guess. I suppose for me that the warm & fuzzy feeling of Transworld has dwindled, as a result of me hearing this news.

While Vegas has an abundance of activities to offer, won’t that detract from the show? Yes the location may draw people to attend, but with all the gambling and other stuff to do, could it be possible that show attendees will spend less time at the show and other Haunt-related activities as a result?? And as Larry pointed out, it won’t be as much of a social event, as it will be a business gathering for wholesale vendors/buyers. I don’t know about you, but a great deal of my enjoyment of the show was due to the social atmosphere of Transworld. With that aspect of the show diminishing, Transworld has become a bit less attractive, at least to me.

As for Vegas having better weather, that may be so, but the bone-chilling cold of Chicago was more beneficial to Haunt vendors than people realize. With less things for people to do and bad weather that everyone wanted to stay away from, more people stay inside on the show floor longer, thus benefiting the vendors at the show.

Perhaps people are trying to make this show out to be strictly a high-end haunter or amusement park haunt owner show and that’s fine, but I think this decision is doing the Haunt Industry a disservice. Undoubtedly, this Transworld migration will benefit local shows like MHC in the near future.

Just my two cents!
        Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
        Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

See again I don't agree... I love Ben and agree with him 99% of the time, however I don't agree that vendors will bring less. I don't agree at all!

In fact I think they'll bring more, because moving the show to Vegas will draw MORE buyers from amusement parks, entertainment centers and the like. As I stated before New Orleans has outdrawn most other cities due to its adult themed entertainment.

Vegas is everything any adult could want, everyone wants to see the lights and sounds of Vegas. I do agree with Ben that the haunted culture that has been developed at TW will probably be dimished greatly. Is it fun hanging and talking all night? C'mon its great!

Will you lose alot of that horror fan mentality that seems to overtake Chicago yes you will. Why?

When the Halloween show invades Rosemont it takes over the town...you can't go anywhere and not be amoung others in your industry. However in Vegas no one will even know you are there. We'll just mix right in.

I think a good suggestion to TRANSWORLD would be to work with a hotel to book all of us haunters in...this way you can continue the traditions.

I'm sure this will happen, we're a year away! We have plenty of time to find another hotel to hang out at...just as in Chicago I'm sure we can find a hotel home base!

But in the long run I think MORE buyers show up for Vegas than ever before in Chicago and vendors will reap the rewards.

Does this hurt the small haunter, maybe but not really. People can plan vacations around this show, heck LA is only FOUR hours away! You can do the show, see the sights of vegas, see the shows, then drive up to LA and do Disney if you want.

Vegas can be a vacation in March.

Lastly, c'mon now EVERY airline flies to Vegas direct practically. Its an easy airport to find flights and cheap as well! Hotels are cheaper on top of it!!!! What you lose in whatever you'll gain back in cheaper hotels and for that matter nicer hotels.

larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Adam,

What's really funny is to hear people cry about how far away it is...

If you live in Texas, say Houston one of the biggest cities in America how much further is Houston from Chicago to House to Vegas? Less than 400 more of a drive...not that big of a deal.

So for haunts in major states like Texas its not that big of a deal, heck Vegas is closer to LA than Chicago is the Frozen Tundra Tour, or closer to Salt Lake City than Chicago is to the Frozen Tundra tour.

What is really crazy is we act like we're back in the horse and buggy days, or when train was the only way to cross the country. You can fly RIGHT NOW on Southwest for as little as $129.00 each way from Chicago to Las Vegas!

So what is the big deal?

You can get hotels for ONE FORTH the price in Vegas as Rosemont. Again I'm not seeing how this is a backbreaker for ANYONE including the horror fan.

Face it Vegas is better, warmer, more fun, more things to do, better hotels, bigger convention center, and the tradeshow capital of the WORLD!

Anyone can go to Vegas!

Anyone!

I've gone to the Chiller Show and people come from ALL OVER! Heck Ben, who chimed in already has gone to HAUNT X and thats even further from his home than Vegas. Today with the web, cell phones, webcams, blah, blah its almost like everyone is a next door neighbor.

Back in the 80's when i Moved back to St. Louis from Houston I lelft all my friends...it felt like they were a MILLION miles away. When I called them I had to get permission because of long distance. One 20 minute phone call cost like 30 bucks.

All those days are over...this world has shrunk by 90%! Nothing is that far away or atleast it seems that way anymore. Distance isn't the issue.

The issue might be that you might lose that 'we're taking over the town' 'or all the gatherings at one hotel' but I think you can still have that in Vegas as well.

Dont' get me wrong people...I'm a FOUR hour drive from Chicago I love it. But just because IAAPA goes to Orlando a 19 hour drive from my home, doesn't mean I'm not going!

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

WOW! I go out to the storage yard to get some work done on my Haunt (weather is sunny in the mid 50’s!) and all Hell breaks loose!!! Move the show and some people think the world has ended!!! Listen I’m IN Vegas so you would naturally think I’m thrilled about having TW in my backyard….not really. For personal reasons I liked having it in Chicago. I’m from ChiTown (GO BEARS!!!!) and it’s the only time I get to visit family. But if you look at the reality of, moving makes good sense for the show…period.

Remember TW is based in Chicago area. It is definitely easier for them to keep the show there, their staff lives there, they have more contacts there, the Rosemont center and area hotel bend over backwards to please them. So why on earth would they consider moving???? Again, because it’s the best thing for the show.

Like it or not Vegas, like Orlando is a convention town. It’s designed to accommodate the business. There are more hotels here than anywhere on the planet. In Rosemont a huge hotel is 300 rooms, in Vegas a SMALL hotel is 3,000 rooms! TW is having problems with rooms this year, not a problem in Vegas.

Cab fare is cab fare period. Vegas has shuttles, bus service and you can walk to a lot of the different attractions. Where can you walk to from the Rosemont area hotels????

You drive to Rosemont, you pay out the nose to park your car everyday, even at your own hotel!
              Parking at your hotel is FREE in Vegas. If you really want to pay to park in Vegas it’s called VALET and you tip the guy $2.00!! maybe a five if you’re a big spender! Valet at Rosemont, it’s a mandatory $15-25 PLUS a tip!

How many places to eat in Rosemont??? How many places after 10pm??????? Ever get back to room after a long load in and then wonder how you’re going to eat? Try NOT to find somewhere to eat ANYTIME of day in Vegas. And do I even have to mention “Last call”??? No such animal in Vegas!

The purpose of a trade show is to put buyers in front of a vendor; you have to service these buyers and vendors. That’s what a place like Vegas is designed to do. Is it the purpose of a trade show to provide a “…warm and fuzzy feeling”??? Maybe at a Dr. Phil convention, but not a business trade show.

Yes I agree, you will not have a Midwest haunt taking a bus load of their actors to the trade show, but in the reality of it is, how many of those actors make buying decisions???? Here’s a little convention lesson, there is no free lunch. SOMEONE has to pay the bills. At TW and most shows it’s the Vendors who foot the bill. They pay the big prices for booths to be put in front of prospective buyers. That allows all the non-buying attendees to gain admission. No sales means, no Vendors. No Vendors means no one to pay the bills. That means you have to charge admission to run a show, no free lunch. Why do you think Hauntcon has to charge? Not enough Vendors to foot the bill.

As some have stated it may make MHC a bigger show, but again it won’t be Vendor sponsored because you won’t have a big enough buyer base. How will they afford to put on the show?? Charge the attendees of course! Some have made comments about not being able to afford TW. How do you expect to afford bringing a busload if everyone has to pay for admission????

As Larry stated several times, true Haunters will show up if they moved the show to Broken Arrow Oklahoma!! Things will just shift alittle. I go to Chicago alone, I have EVERY year. I don’t bring my Actor Co-ordinators or any other staff. They don’t make the business decisions, I do. Move the show to Vegas, and I may finally have MY people come see the show!!! Things shift. Now the guy from Michigan who used to bring HIS entire crew has to go to Vegas alone because HE makes the business decisions. Maybe having a west coast show will improve and grow the west coast Haunt market????

The argument that Chicago is better because buyers have no where else to go to is total bull! The show floor closes at 5pm period whether you are in Chicago or Vegas, so Vendors still have the same amount of time. Changing to Vegas means the opportunities AFTER 5pm just increased about 20 fold! Bottom line is that it will be much easier to do business in Vegas for a trade show. THAT’s why they’re moving the show.

People are complaining that we’ll lose all the “camaraderie” we have in Chicago. You will only lose that if you WANT to lose it! They had a poor excuse for a trade show in Vegas before. There were hardly ANY Haunters in attendance, yet we all seemed to get together anyway. We can schedule get-togethers officially or impromptu if Haunters want to meet. I’m sure Hauntworld would want to sponsor something! We just have more choices of locations and we don’t have to worry about “last call”!!! Some would call that a big plus!!

Someone else commented about Haunt tours. There are NO permanent haunts in Vegas, too costly. I will try and make arrangements to have one of my shows open, but that should NOT be a determining factor to go to TW. Remember the haunt tours were only added recently. The haunts in year round buildings figured they could make a couple extra bucks opening during the show. Let’s be really honest…. The haunt tours only prospered because there was nothing else to do!! Do you go to the haunts to get new ideas or do you go to the show???? ANY Haunt only has “last year’s ideas”. You have to see the show to get “next year’s ideas”!!! Face it, we go to the haunts to hang out and visit. We’ll hang out and visit in Vegas, it’s just that the background changes and now wears fewer clothes!!!

So to sum up a LONG rant… am I happy about the move to Vegas?? Not for personal reasons, but for the benefit of the show itself, it is absolutely a smart move.

OK Larry, I responded! What happens in Vegas!!!!!!
              R&J Productions
              Las Vegas, NV
              www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

I may be very wrong, but I always guessed that the reason the Vegas Transworld wasn't much in the past was because it was so much closer to the west coast where so many artists and technitions that do incredible work live and that alot of the products shown might not have been that impressive to west coasters??
                The movie and tv production business provides more full-time entertainment/creative opportunitys, which also mean more people thinking toward these ends, thereby coming up with more and newer ideas .
                Once again, I could be wrong about this, I only see out over the cornfield when the snow is holding down the corn and even in the summer my corn-periscope can get wevils on the lense.
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Sounds like an opportunity for the Midwest Haunters Convention to expand!

Comment

John, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Have MHC move over to the Chicago in March slot and see what happens. Might be a great move!

As for us, eh, whatever. More money I can take off the taxes at the end of the year I guess. The nice thing about Chicago was it is more or less smack dab in the middle of the country. Not a bad haul for east or west coasters, or from the folks in the south. It's extremely easy for us Midwesterners to get there.

My question is - where did you get the info, Larry? I can't seem to confirm it anywhere? Is it really confirmed, or is it still rumor stage?

Seems kinda funny that a big show would just up and move, especially when the company is based in the same town (Rosemont)... especially without testing the waters with surveys of buyers/sellers and (most importantly) exhibitors.

I guess time will tell. Larry, if you have a link to a press release, I'd love to see it.

-- I
                    -------------------------------
                    http://www.fx13studios.com

Comment

Hmm

Whatever.....If we go we go.
                      It will be a better show for wholesale.

Haunters will be nonexistant or very small part of the show.

Hell I should be able to pick up some business shipping everyones stuff to the convention next year.

It is hard LARRY for people who run a haunt and have day jobs to make it to conventions.

Hauntcon...MHC....Ironstock will all become the things for Haunters to do

TW will be back to the show it once was 15 years ago...people in suits buying things....maybe it isn't going to be so bad...depends on what you are selling.
                      Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

Lets not forget that the Hauntworld.com gatherings will probably grow...

I now that I am going to try HARD to go to the Vegas show next year! In fact, I just opened a savings account TODAY for it...LOL! I was looking around the internet and found this...

Hotels.com (if purchased early enough in advance)..
                        Sorry for the BIG link!

http://www.hotels.com/processSearch....child%5B0%5D=0

Not that bad! I believe that hotels like this and more are probably MORE affodable than in Chicago. The only thing I see rising is airfare, so book in advance (several months). The earlier you book, the cheaper it is.

And you add the money you save on hotels in Vegas to your airfare.... it should be about even, shouldn't it! -Tyler
                        Chris Riehl
                        Sales@spookyfinder.com
                        (586)209-6935
                        www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I would be willing to bet the southerners will pick up somthing in Atlanta.
                          Ben?? Think you could make a snowball?
                          http://www.myspace.com/joedog158
                          Personal MySpace

My Mottos:
                          When in doubt, get the hell out - Jason Hawes

Of all the things I have taught you, remember this:
                          If you see me running, KEEP UP! - Joe Dog

Comment

I don't disagree with you Rich or Larry, I just like what is going on now from a culture stand point in Chicago. As far as hotels, food and cold it is not so good!

And for us to guess what Scarefactory, Unit 70, Scareparts and the like will do is pointless anyway. We will find out in due time. I am sure Transworld is making a very reasoned choice, I am sure they know what is best for their business.

And what we are doing here won't change anything. They are moving to Vegas, and if you own a haunted house you will be there as well I am sure.

So enjoy those last few freezing trips across the road dodging flairs and slush, we will see you in Chicago one last time.

Thanks

Ben Armstrong
                            NETHERWORLD
                            Ben Armstrong
                            NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
                            www.Fearworld.com
                            www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

This is wonderful for us. The Chicago show has always been cost prohibited for our whole crew to attend. In Vegas it would be a 3 hour drive and the hotels can be relatively cheap.

From a business standpoint… having the show in Vegas will do exactly what Larry said. The show is a great excuse for buyers to sneak off to Vegas for some fun. This will bring new blood, and more importantly a new money, to the show.
                              "Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it"
                              - Henry David Thoreau

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."
                              - Mel Brooks

Comment

As long as the show is similar to the show in Chicago I will find a way to get to Vegas. It isn't that hard to travel, especially with things like priceline.
                                Jared Layman

Comment

Working...
                                X