Need some advise from the seasoned veterans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advise from the seasoned veterans

I'm going on my forth year of being in the haunt buisness. The past 3 years I have used 95% of my ad budget on radio. I have had ok results but nothing to write home about. A new Advertising guy I have been talking to suggests I should use half my ad budget this year on Cable TV and billboard, and park benchs. The cable tv sounds interesting the billboard and bus benchs I'm not so sure about. Any advise would be greatly appreicated.

"How did You Find Out About My House?"

"My friend told me."
    "My relative brought me here."
    Unfortunately for those who sell advertising of any kind, THIS IS STILL WHAT "WORKS"!
    Personal testimonials.
    What does this "cost"?
    Bending your back and butt to impress those customers!! Treat every one of them like "Gold", because they ARE!
    Advice from Jim Warfield-Beginning the Ravens Grin Inn's 630th "Season" (If 2 weeks = a season. OPEN every night of the year for 25 years.)
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

From what I have experienced, radio is effective. Other ways that I have found effective are Billboards [if designed well and placed in a great location], posters [never can have too many], web advertisements, local news plugs, but perhaps the greatest advertisement of all...is word of mouth.

Comment

I am not a huge fan of radio or television ads. How many people these days watch or listen to commercials. They can work, just make sure you choose the right times and stations.
        Joshua
        www.hauntedprints.com
        info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

Just This Morning..

As my Wife and I were disscussing the various types of advertising , she said it again:"90% of our first time customers appear at our door because some happy customer told them about Ravens Grin" ...so how much money should we ever spend to just attract that possible 10%?

I am a "Seasoned Veteran" even if soap in my armpit does disguise exactly which seasoning I have been brewing.
          Last edited by Jim Warfield; 07-18-2011, 07:51 PM.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Thanks for all the input. uffortunatley over the last 3years my location has moved every year . I know I know it would by alot better if i was in a perrment location trying to build up to that. So I am forced to spend x dollars on advertising to get them to us. Word off mouth is not a problem 90% of the people exiting the haunt say it was the best one they have seen in my area. So the question still is if you had to chose whitch would be the better ad venue

Comment

Okay, this is by no means scientific, but based on our haphazard exit polling last year people heard about us from...

1) Word of mouth
              2) Internet
              3) Radio
              4) Posters/flyers
              5) News paper

I'm sure it is different for different areas, but that is the polling results we got.
              sigpic
              Louis Brown
              Owner, operator, and dish washer
              at
              DarkWood Manor

Comment

I cant see a bench being a worth while way of advertising. What are they made for anyway? Sitting on! And the old person who needs to sit down is there covering up your add. While the young kid listening to his mp3 player isnt paying attention and gets up and gets on the bus before the old person even gets up.
                Damon
                Frightmasters
                Damon Carson

Comment

Pros and Cons to Radio Ads

Radio is probably not the first thing that comes to mind when you are thinking of ways to advertise your business. Especially in these days of social media and Facebook fan pages, radio might seem old-school. But radio can be an important part of your media strategy. To do it right, you need to know the pros and cons.
                  Pros
                  • You can target your advertising to a specific audience. Different radio stations have different formats, from news/talk to oldies to rock. Decide who you are trying to reach (teenagers, families, urban men, suburban moms), and then choose the radio format that reaches your audience.
                  • A 30-second ad on radio is often less expensive than a 30-second TV ad and easier to produce.
                  • Radio ads can be produced very quickly, unlike television ads. And unlike magazine print ads, you do not have to wait for the next issue to come out.
                  Cons
                  • While a reader can cut out your print ad and save it for later use, a radio ad is very ephemeral, playing over the radio for a minute or less.
                  • Morning and evening commutes are key times when many businesses want their ads to run, and there are only so many spots to go around. This can drive up the cost for those choice time slots.
                  • Radio can often be background noise. You will need to run your ad more than a few times in order for it to make an impact.
                  Joshua
                  www.hauntedprints.com
                  info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

Television Pros and Cons

According to a recent study by Ball State University on the media consumption habits of average Americans, despite the Internet's steady rise in popularity over the last few years, television remains the dominant medium in most U.S. households. On average, the general population spends over four and a half hours a day in front of the tube, making TV watching one of the most common modern leisure activities. Is it any wonder then that television advertising is also the most powerful form of advertising?
                    Advertising on television allows you to show and tell a wide audience*your business, product, or service. It allows you to actually demonstrate the benefits of ownership. You can show how your product or service works and how it's packaged so prospective customers will know what to look for at the point of sale.*In advertising, it often takes multiple touch points to effectively influence consumers' purchasing behavior.
                    Television advertising has been a popular medium for large retailers ever since the*TV first began to appear in living rooms. With the arrival of cable television came lowered production costs and the opportunity to reach smaller, more targeted markets, making it a viable option for small to medium-size businesses as well.
                    To create an effective television ad, it's first necessary to have a good script that highlights a strong offer. Ads must also be effectively produced, and it's for this reason that it's often better to enlist the services of an advertising agency, which can help you create an entire campaign.
                    Some of the advantages to advertising your small business on television include the following:
                    • TV reaches a much larger audience than local newspapers and radio stations, and it does so during a short period of time.
                    • It reaches viewers when they're the most attentive.
                    • It allows you to convey your message with sight, sound, and motion, which can give your business, product, or service instant credibility.
                    • It gives you an opportunity to be creative and attach a personality to your business, which can be particularly effective for small businesses that rely on repeat customers.

Some Disadvantages to TV Advertising
                    For all its advantages, advertising your business on TV does have*some disadvantages. Barring late night spots on your local cable television network, no other advertising medium is as likely to eat up your budget as quickly as TV will. Producing the ad, which can include hiring script writers, actors, film editors, or an advertising agency, is only the first step. You must also pay for air time, and because studies have shown that TV ads are most effective with repetition, you'll almost certainly want to run your piece a number of times. Because of this, most television stations structure their pricing to make it more attractive for you to purchase advertising in chunks.
                    Another disadvantage is how difficult it can be to make changes. Whereas with newspaper advertising, updating sale pricing or a special offer is often as simple as swapping out a coupon, with television advertising it means updating your script and reshooting the entire ad, which costs additional money.
                    It can also be difficult to effectively target your core audience with television advertising, although there are a few best practices that can help. For starters, consider who your audience is before structuring your ad and purchasing airtime. Is a large portion of your clientele Spanish speaking? If so, you'd do well to purchase airtime on a Spanish-language station such as Telemundo. And if you're in the baby stroller business, you're probably better off purchasing time slots during the day when stay-at-home moms are most likely to see your ad.
                    Joshua
                    www.hauntedprints.com
                    info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

Thank joshua for the input

Comment

Working...
                      X