How do you get your storyline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get your storyline?

What does everyone do that assists them in creating a storyline for their event?

Ideas should be the easy part, do some brainstorming on monsters you want to see in the haunt- characters you want- what makes sense for your location- all those factors and a story should emerge. A theme should have Characters-Setting- and a Situation. Often what you are good at can help you determin a back story- if you are good at making zombie costumes then you might want to head towards that theme.
    my design DVD can help you with this stage by the way- thats why I made it. I dont pimp myself a lot, but it does sound like you need a bit of guidance, it might help you out.
    Allen H
    http://stiltbeaststudios.com/Haunt_Design.php
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Listen to Allen

Allen nailed it (as usual). Start with some fashion of a theme, and start building around it. We started with the theme that worked for what we had, and then started building the sets around the theme. Then we started developing characters for the theme, and out of that came a story line for each of the characters. This year we started running posts on FB with the storyline. A little bit of the story each week, and Twitter as well. Two of our characters are posting their logs and it is building our following nicely.
      Travis "Big T" Russell
      President
      Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Thanks I figured that I was just curious if there were other ideas, ways to do it. Thanks I think we have some good ideas by scouring the web.

Comment

A Novel Idea

I also use an app on my iPad called "A Novel Idea" that I found on the iTunes site. Its pretty useful for keeping track of your theme, what scenes you will be using, and applying characters to those scenes. Great little program that I think is free. I started using it to plot out all my scenes, the props to be used in those scenes, the characters I create, and the story line behind all the characters.
          Travis "Big T" Russell
          President
          Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Great suggestion!
            www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

You Might Not Believe This.

My storyline began when the first old geezer in this small town told me I should not buy this house, because it was Haunted!"
              Then about three more people pushing 90 years of living told me the same story over and over, almost verbatum!
              I did not want to tell any of my patrons this story because I needed all the possible income here I could find, I was not going to take the chance of scaring some of them away!
              Then as time passed more and more of my customers kept asking me how I did that amazing "special effect" they were seeing in the one corner of the wine cellar?
              I became concerned that what if some highly nervous customer saw this old ghost from 1925, thought it was their own personal "Demon", flipped out, had to be medicated for a few months in a "Home", how would I feel about the part that I had unwittingly played , by my silence?
              I could talk for several hours concerning the haunted history of this house and none of it is fiction.
              95% of the time when I am talking about these things I add some attempted humor with the actual, factual haunting informational points so I am giving someone sitting there in the dark a choice to maybe think I am just making this stuff up or I'm just trying to be funny ("attempted Humor") and not become scared or whigged out.
              A very busy Supernatural year happened here 12 years ago involving my Wife of seven of those years leaving because of the things that were happening to her of such unexplainable circumstances.
              I had had some October helpers leave this house to never work here again after some very unexplainable things happened to them.
              I have a large "Laundry List" of such things, so the "Story" or "Theme" of this haunted haunted house creates itself, all I do is repeat events and try to put them in their correct order and sometimes this does seem to make alittle more sense of those events. Almost like a storyline.
              I am just "Along for The Ride".
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

This is also why..

You can't find any common haunt-themed displays or rooms here. It would become a parody of itself. Quite a waste of a haunted haunt then.
                Yesterday when talking to an older woman in this town, she said maybe four times"Your Mother always said,"Where does Jim (ME) get all of those ideas he has?"
                I just open my eyes, open my ears, and they surround me, no real work involved.
                There is a Huge difference between my creative ideas and the incidents that have happened here.
                I could never come up with most of the incidents here no matter how I tried.
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I honestly read a LOT so I have a bunch of ideas and info to draw on for inspiration..combine that with a little imagination and it's not to to hard to create something interesting.

Comment

I Find Ideas

As I walk through my house, sometimes during a tour with the customers right there. Being OPEN every night of the year has some advantages in many ways.
                    Here's an idea I had today: Have a human head with either a motion switch or a light sensitive switch and when activated the head moves it's mouth, maybe just groans a little ,the back of the head features a heavy duty steel ring securely fastened to the internals what is this for? To attach a thick steel cable so somebody can't steal it!
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                    X