Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zombies=done?

O.K.

So, I'm hearing that the zombie theme has run its course.

Yet, I'm sitting here watching the latest episode of "The Walking Dead" and loving it, along with a bigger audience than has ever been seen before, zombie paintball is raking in the bucks, and my AtmoshpherFX Zombie Invasion DVD garnered the most comments of any attraction at my amateur haunt this year.

Is the zombie phenomenon over? If not, why not? If so, what's next?
    Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
    http://frightinfalcon.com

Very dead. Walking Dead will live on for now but the public craze has certainly waned. Best to be ahead if the curve instead of doing something that's fading.

DA

Comment

I think even Walking Dead craze is ending... when you look around at movies its the supernatural movies that make all the money not zombies.

In fact they don't even seem to make zombie movies just supernatural.

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Zombies

Zombies as a theme... It may be done but zombies aren't popular?
        Meh... I disagree.
        Basing your haunt off of zombies may be selling yourself short though... There are SO MANY ideas out there why not create a haunt based from a mixture of items?
        As I sit and think of years gone by I can't remember haunted houses ever basing their haunts upon popular tv show or movie fads... Back when I was a kid 70's 80's it was about scaring... I honestly can't remember a haunted house based from tv or movies...
        But a T.J. Hooker Haunt Or a Fantasy Island Haunt ?

THAT'S SCARY...

Lol
        "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
        www.maliciousstudios.com
        "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
        http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

Comment

I've been done with zombies for quite awhile now, just wish that everyone else would be too!!!

Comment

When I was a kid, it was ...Frankenstein, Dracula, Uncle Fester and so on.....

Funny how some people to this day, still think those characters are still scary.....

Stew

Comment

Newest fad

I think it's to early to say what the latest hit will be but ( in my opinion ) I think the latest fad will be focused on black light responsive props, masks, and animatronics... I think animatronics have been covered for quite some time so I think allot if focus on masks, props, and complete costumes will be an interest to allot of clients.

I'd like to see the industry focus on more old school effects, I think technology ( although VERY cool ) has run its course.
              I mean most haunts have their need filled with all if the animatronics offered today...

Just my opinion ( for what it's worth )

I also think about the animatronics out today and think there needs to be actor / animatronic combo interaction props... Both quelline ( air / battery / or spring powered ) and animatronics inside the haunts that allow a interaction between the actor AND the animatronic...
              What's better than the Butcher hacking away at a dead corpse? Well... I'd say the Butcher animatronic hacking away at a LIVE HUMAN VICTIM... Or an actor hacking away at a animated prop...

Wow I say... Add water mist / sprayer and you've got yourself one cool scene !
              "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
              www.maliciousstudios.com

Comment

What I think is "done" is themes. Pirates, zombies, aliens, clowns, toxic avengers, whatever. It's all the same to me. The way to crack into the imagination of your audience is with stories. Not "there was a secret experiment and then something went wrong" faux story. A real one. One that would capture the attention should it be told over a campfire.

If the story has life then the antagonist's form won't matter.

Comment

Well I think with the news that these zombie runs are starting to lose money, going out of business, its like this when everyone and I mean everyone out of the industry, in the industry, tv commercials to tv shows to zombie runs, to haunted houses, you name jumps on at the same time its ruins it quick...

thanks to HBO shows we've had a vampire craze because of true blood, then a zombie craze because of walking dead... and i mean to tell you I'm getting SICK of Walking Dead. Its got same old same old fast... they have the talking dead, the walking dead, you name it they have it... yeah yeah but its still people trying to survive among zombies, scavenging food and supplies, at this point that is getting long in the tooth.

I think what people will fall back to is supernatural because of all the ghost hunting shows, and the movies that did very well.

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President
                  www.HalloweenProductions.com
                  www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                  www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                  www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

This is not very scientific but Google Trends does show "supernatural" gaining on "zombies":

zombies vs supernatural.jpg

Comment

This is really funny!

You guys are cracking me up.
                      I think I need some clarification here.
                      So when I go and visit a haunted house (Big or small) (Whatever the theme is) and there are dead people inside moving...
                      Are they not zombies?
                      Am I missing something here?
                      Every Haunt has a zombie in it weather its a Clown theme, Toxic , Haunted Mansion, Corn field, Hayride, Forest, Asylum etc.
                      sigpic
                      PEACE, ADAM
                      www.poisonprops.com

Comment

Supernatural is scary in 2014?

I dunno...
                        I fail to view "the supernatural" as scary...lol, whether its ghosts, vampires, or etc. vampires and ghosts just leave me a bit limp...

Maybe the zombie fad has run its course for now... ( The cup has been filled ) but the horror genre LOVES zombies every big screen zombie flick has = BIG MONEY
                        ( Just Sayin )

B.

Malicious Studios
                        www.maliciousstudios.com

Comment

Never count out something that isnt dead..

Hi All

One thing i learned after 6 years as an adverting rep you will get sick of your message before the public does.. Insert zombies..

The walking dead is not going anywhere anytime soon..People of all walks of life like the show...Zombies i love zombies but not running from them..if
                          not real..lol..not interested in zombie runs or zombie walks..zombie crawls etc..

supernatural is a great show but for the last 3 season its all about demons vs angels...Heaven and Hell..what haunt is gonna touch on that..

Last season at transworld i was like this is the last year for zombies but guess what..we sold more zombies last year then another prop...
                          so if there dead my sales sure don't show it..

Do i think zombies are done...My Answer is no...However...i would not base my entire show/haunt on just on thing either...

my zombie theme section would be Zombies..Victims...and Crazed survivors a mix...

We plan this upcoming year to have many distinctions in our zombies and how you view them..its not just all walking dead style anymore
                          Its changed alot.. new looks new ideas some old ideas brought back,..you will see..

and Virus zombies are way cool =)~..Double the fear..lol

In short
                          a well laid out buffet of best food at the best price will always appeal...to the masses..

Comment

Heaven V.S. Hell

HELL YEAH... I'm game... I'd have fun with THIS idea !

Malicious Studios
                            www.maliciousstudios.com

Comment

If we're talking fast or "infected" style zombies, then I do hope they're done. So sick of those movies, time to bring back the slow, grave-rising and skeletal variety again.

Comment

Working...
                              X