No announcement yet.

Here we go again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have the below you can sign up as a wholesale buyer at http://www.formstack.com/forms/?1504161-8RcBqSksJK-v3

or email to registration[MENTION=272]Halloween[/...]partyexpo.com.

BUYER DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS: PART 1

You must provide one of the following:*

A copy of your business license
    A copy of your resale tax certificate
    A verification of your tax exempt status
    Company Registration Certificate (Intl. Only)*
    VAT Registration Certificate (Intl. Only)*

BUYER DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS: PART 2

AND one of the following documents:

A copy of a Yellow Pages listing for your business
    An ad featuring your business from a trade publication
    A copy of the lease agreement for your retail business
    An imprinted business check or credit card
    Invoices totaling more than $200 from your suppliers
    A company catalog
    A flyer or other promotional piece for your business
    An invitation letter from a current exhibitor

Please have your documents ready to upload to the online registration form, or submit your form today and follow up with an email or fax of your documentation to verify registration.

Comment

Leonard thats just a joke.....

I guarantee, if I walk up to ANY booth with an order, they will take it...

Bet me....

Stew

Comment

Exactly Stew.

It is a joke, and we look like fools going back to them as second class citizens.

Jake

Originally posted by Darksidestew View Post
        Leonard thats just a joke.....

I guarantee, if I walk up to ANY booth with an order, they will take it...

Bet me....

Stew

Comment

The reality is this new statement is somewhat confusing... when you think about the things needed its pretty simple. You need a business license and a copy check or something along those lines... that isn't bad at all. Anyone can get that done if they own a business. So I think that problem is solved.

The guy I talked to apologized up and down and said he totally understands WHY we all feel like we aren't welcome. So as I told him he should have explained what is needed for a buyer badge than the former quote... so this seems to be resolved.

I spent an hour talking to the guy he's really nice and really wants haunters there... so I'm glad I could step in here and get to the bottom of it.

In the end they are moving to New Orleans next year home to some pretty cool haunts so we'll see what happens.

A lot of haunts are opening retail stores now so I'm glad they will now be able to go and get a buyers badge.

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Larry where did you see the new wording at
            Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

I have got to chime in on this one.. If you made reservations throught he halloween and aprty show and you cant make it. They will keep your deposit of $192 (One night stay)
              I was going because i have a store at our haunt but had to cancel back in december. The are keeping my $192 deposit. I understand they make rules but Damn what a way to fuck someone out of money..Sounds like someone needs to investigate their policies..

Comment

Thats why you pay by credit card. You can deny the charge...

Stew

Comment

Catalog whores

Way back in the day when I got into this stuff, before the tax numbers and any established work, I discovered Morris Costumes and wanted information on what was available. I had no problem paying $10 for their catalog being sent to me as just a prospective client. It is SO simple. Charge for the catalogs and fliers to those that are just shopping as potential future business start ups instead of just being pretentious assholes. A catalog or even a flier published is information, no different than buying a how to video or 8 track tape that tells you how to train your actors.

If you want professionalism in business, promote professional business. Don't prequalify people as useless groupies that eat up booth time.

On the opposite side you can't just cruise through any tradeshow floor without being hustled by a desperate exhibitor, so it kind of goes both ways as far as being professional. An attendee spent lots of money to be there too and their time is maybe not as vested but still. The entire list of things that you think you need to qualify as a whole sale buyer does not require a business liscense or proof of checks you have actually written to someone. It requires a tax number and money. End of story. So there is some number of people in the middle of communicating these things that have never run their own business, they are employees coming up with their perspective of what the rules could be. If you don't yet have a tax nmber and funding, you need $2 or $5 or even $20 to buy a catalog which could be refundable if you make a purchase in the future. Opportunities, not oppressive bullshit.
                  sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Business possibilities

In todays real numbers you might sell 10,000 catalogs and only end up with 30 true customers and of those only 5 will be longer term customers. There is no way they can feed everyone a free catalog. Real business people have no problem whipping out money for information. They need to recognize that if successful it may be 5 or 10 years down the line but most will add some retail aspect to their shows or create independent stores or open costume shops once their business is successful.

Instead of being accomodating ever, or business like, what they have done is generated all the independent product makers by making crap from china somehow pretentious and exclusive. The exact people they disrespected years ago are now sourcing the haunt industry and they aren't. So having not learned from this, how do you want to treat the newest future business guy that attends a trade show for the first time?
                    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

The real story

A business liscense is relative to having a location. So in the catch 22 of their list of rules, a brand new guy can't accumulate an inventory until he has a location and has written a check to some competing company? So a real business guy just finds a chinese guy and they can play pretend business all they want. Or they can become people's future supplier and pay them as a middle man or not. They are postured to not promote halloween business and start ups. Now or in the future.
                      sigpic

Comment

Or what really happens.

People become successful with haunts and then their next businesses become other things that are not as seasonal or falsely exclusive because they went directly to the Chinese guy. So instead of servicing one huge market, it has become the haunt business and then the other businesses people create from having learned how to do things. It's as simple as selling catalogs instead of giving away 5,000 copies of something. Keeping the money in the same market instead of being un accomodating. It is possible to make larger single markets instead of scattering the money.

You can take anyone and their real desire in the beginning is to make an income. There has to be opportunity, not people who no longer like the customers. So when they make money do they expand into similar things and increase the size of the recognizable market share or create other businesses and investments because the first one kind of sucks. So, there needs to be a focus on why does it suck. How do you really develop those people that see there must be an opportunity.

I personally don't care, I make actually more money servicing customers that have expanded beyond haunted house things in business. But that is what it has become. Rather than the original market being where people could expand without hassle and truely be serviced. Actually having a robust seasonal set of businesses, the more successful head out into the real world instead of reinvest in more problems. There may be a market restriction where there are only so many rubber heads available but most of the crap and people fighing and replacing each other and reinventing the same wheels have been from bad unproffesional first impressions.
                        sigpic

Comment

HPE-HAuNTcon14-RegPolicy.pdf

Here is their new policy for haunts in a PDF. Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President

Comment

Apology

Thank you, Larry, for posting our new policy. I want to apologize to everyone for the terrible wording of our policy when we first circulated it. I understand why you were upset. It certainly was not our intention to make you feel unwelcome, and we are sorry that we did. We would love to have you at the Halloween & Party Expo, and hope that you will come check it out this year and when we move to New Orleans in 2015. As you can see from the policy that Larry posted, it is not hard for someone with a haunt, Halloween attraction, or related business to get a full access pass to the show (you don't need to have an existing retail store). Happy New year.
                            Jonathan
                            H&P Expo

Comment

I think our vendors should start making retail products so they can come to US instead of Us going to them...

Theres no doubt that our vendors can make better stuff then the garbage they make....

Stew

Comment

Jonathan,

Let me just say apology accepted. You have to understand there are still hard feelings from the old days... I think you addressed perfect. Hey I want to see the retail show, just being honest its not really the first thing on my agenda because I'm first and foremost an attraction. I'd rather go to Transworld's show, or IAAPA or even Hauntcon but many haunters out there are creating retail stores as part of their business just like adding a food stand or something.

Clearly the main place to find the retail is at the Halloween Party Expo so if that is in your future plans you should go ... having the addition of Hauntcon and all their education and haunt tours seems like icing on the cake!

I give you guys props for coming forward and correcting this!!! I think your policy to get into your show as a main buyer is not unrealistic and very easy to achieve.

Larry
                                Larry Kirchner
                                President

Comment

Working...
                                X