No announcement yet.

Length of time to walk through your haunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think I have ever been to a haunt that I thought was too long. Been to some that I thought were too expensive for what it was but never too long. I think as long as you are priced correctly for the quality and length of your show you will be fine.
    Jared Layman

Comment

our haunt will be a total of about 5,000.
      very detailed, blah blah blah, very intense, and actors are being trained to keep them in the rooms and scare them back rather than push them forward as much.
      the haunt is also for charity, so people are willing to give a little more.

do you feel $10 is fair?
      Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeRTaKer313 View Post
        our haunt will be a total of about 5,000.
        very detailed, blah blah blah, very intense, and actors are being trained to keep them in the rooms and scare them back rather than push them forward as much.
        the haunt is also for charity, so people are willing to give a little more.

do you feel $10 is fair?
        You could probably charge $12.00 for that.
        Jared Layman

Comment

length of time to go through haunt

Thanks for the feedback guys!!

Our haunt is for a charity. Seven years ago when I first started they were charging $6, about 2-3 years ago it was raised to $7. The thought was always that being the haunt is for the boys & girls club that it should be cheap enough that parents could bring all there kids and not have to pay a ton. And I have always agreed. My thought now though is that knowing the club is having some hard financial problems now, its harder to get money from the club to build the haunt, some of the proceeds from the pevious years are supposed to stay with the haunt commitee, but havent been, I wonder now about whether we should up the ticket price or not. Dont know if that would be a good thing to do or not. Im sure we wont end up changing it. But it does get us thinking about it.

Thanks again for all the insight. Its good to know what others think as well.

Thanks,

Kelly Anderson
          HauntYourHouse.net
          Kelly Anderson
          Owner- Halloween Undercroft
          http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
          Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Comment

Originally posted by mindtumor View Post
            You could probably charge $12.00 for that.

Yea, I agree with that price point. And maybe if you really thought $10 would be better for the charity you could have a $2 off coupon on your website and in your print ads.

- Ryan

Blood Lake Haunted House & Haunts of Richmond Ghost Tours
            www.bloodlakeva.com www.hauntsofrichmond.com
            Located in Richmond, VA

Comment

Awesome. thanks guys.
              Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

To explain it a little more we have two haunts
                one thats just under 3000 sqft.
                it is very tight corridors, and very detailed and should take quite a while to get through.
                The second haunt is around 2000 sqft and it is a very very confusing and well done black maze. got some pneumatic effects and actors. should make some people loose it.

do you still feel $12 is fair, or does that effect your desicion.

Comment

Originally posted by hauntedghost View Post
                  as for me we have it about around 45 mins to walk though. the owners have them pay about $15 bucks a head. It would come out to be 33 cents a min.

IF it was me this what i would do...

45 mins walk though = $10 bucks a head. If my math is true then it would be about 22 cents a min.

now you see what makes a small differents in money?

now you take say..20 people X $10 bucks person = 200 dollers!!!

and 22 cents a min X 20 people = $4.40

any ways if my math is wrong then tell me it's late for me and can't think well right now.

HG
                  I don't think I see your point. Keep in mind that every dollar you raise or lower your price is pure profit. That holds true for any business.

I'm sure 20 people at $10 each equalling $200 sounds like a lot of money coming in, but it's not when you have to fill a 45-minute haunt. Your proposal would require two or three times as many people to make the same profit. Heck, it might even lose money. You can't say without knowing the owner's expenses.

I think the real measure of a haunt's value is how your patron's feel after walking outside. Do they feel they got their money's worth? It's about the time, money and quality. How many times have you walked out of a really bad movie wishing you could not only get your eight bucks back but the last two hours of your life?

Comment

Movie cost vs. haunt cost... length... etc

Originally posted by shawnc View Post
                    I think the real measure of a haunt's value is how your patron's feel after walking outside. Do they feel they got their money's worth? It's about the time, money and quality. How many times have you walked out of a really bad movie wishing you could not only get your eight bucks back but the last two hours of your life?
                    I haven't been to the movies in quite some time, but I had 2 pairs of movie passes and saw two movies in the last 2 days. First, we went to see Bruno... I had a bad feeling about the movie before I went (I can't stand Sasha Cohen) but my wife wanted to go. Although it had its moments, it has more male nudity and crude humor than I prefer. I walked out pretty disappointed... Yeah... I just paid to waste two hours of my life.

Last night, however, we went to see the hangover. I didn't hear a lot about it, other than it was funny. I had a movie sized drink spilled in my lap (accident) popcorn stains on a nice shirt, and a crowded seat (from the dude on my left)... but I didn't care. I enjoyed the movie from beginning to end. Every person recessing from the theater was laughing down the hall... through the lobby, and out into the parking lot. It was totally worth the drink in lap, crowded seat, popcorn stains (not to mention the 15.50 charge for a soda, popcorn, and m&ms).

Quality over quantity!

(to answer the original question) As far as length of our events... Haunted hayride 30 minutes (1 mile). Haunted maze 20 minutes (1 acre haunted corn maze w/ 2500 s.f. open air haunted house in center). New 1800 s.f. Fun House (est 15 minutes) and an un-haunted 6-acre corn maze (45 minutes w/o cheating) and now the Coffin Ride (est 90 seconds). We also have live music every night, and other special events while people are in line.
                    Patrick Barberry
                    www.legendsofthefog.com
                    sigpic

Comment

I think you should charge on the quality of your show other than the time it takes to walk through. We have 5 haunts which could take any where between 20 to 30 minutes to walk through but there's 5 there. Each one with an exit shooting back to our lobby where you can purchase drinks, clothes, relax and watch our big screens...and we only charge $20. Its perfect for the target market and they still have enough money to spend on refreshments and such!

I agree with the "if its too long it seems to just drag on" quote. You need a break in there some where to keep you more interested in the next scene instead of tired wanting to sit down.
                      Frightworld America's Screampark
                      www.hauntedbuffalo.com
                      Buffalo, New York

Comment

what about 13

i am doing a 16 000 square ft haunt with 1000 sqft left open for egress we were considering charging 12.00 to 13 dollars for admission where the big boys run about 3,000 to 5,000 a night through ,we are lucky to hit 3,000 patrons for the whole time we are open which leaves me to ask is 13 dollars fair for a 15,000 square ft haunted house i usually go by 1.00 per thousand square feet but am will to be nice this year based on the economy today any answers are greatly appreciated oh and by the way the haunt is in and old abandoned meat market and grocery store with full walk in coolers and deli meat packing and plenty of safety features here is a link for the pictures of the building http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=12&iwloc=A thanks all

Comment

so i had a meeting with the haunt crew and we were going to just do 1 3,000 square foot haunt and charge like 7 bucks. i was totally against it, but worked it out to the situation that i described above by adding the black maze, and under doubling the price. for 2 haunts totaling like 6,000 square feet or so for 12 bucks.
                          NOW... people are completely willing to pay $4.50 for a pop at the movies at $5.50 for popcorn. Most will easily spent more than 12 bucks just for stuff to snack on during the movie. so i honestly dont think we need to worry at all about the price.

ALSO - i just talked with the other haunts in town about cross promotion and they sounded very intimidated that our haunt was like half the cost of theres lol, i have a feelling this is gonna completely work to our advantage.

Comment

hey nick

sounds awesome nick ihave been following your progress man every things lookin good bro , so what do you think about my question my haunt is 16,000 square ft http://s843.photobucket.com/albums/z...707091237a.jpg heres a link to see the building

Comment

hey nick lookin awesome

hey nick can you make me a banner man and are you using 2x3 and what thickness of ply wood are you using

Comment

We're raising our price this year

This is our fourth year putting on a haunt. We charged a donation amount. Whatever they wanted to give. The past years all proceeds went to charity. I didn't make a dime, I enjoy doing the haunts. This year I'm raising the price to a set price of $7.00, with $3.00 going to charity. Hopefully we have a great year.

http://www.terrorsofthenight.com

It's hard to determine the price. I took the kids to haunted houses in the area, and I was disappointed at the performances of them. We paid $10.00 a person. Very disappointed with them.

We had a young man come to ours, after he to BIG NAME HAUNT, they didn't scare him after paying $20.00 to get in. We scared the crap out of him and he enjoyed it.

I noticed that hype sells, and no matter the price, they will pay it. Once you pay, there's no refund if you're disappointed.
                                You need to do a great scare and bring them back next year.
                                Good luck with your decisions.
                                Scaring the yell out of them
                                Owner/operator of

http://www.terrorsofthenight.com haunted house

Comment

Working...
                                X