Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought I'd post a few pics I took.

100_3376.JPG100_3377.JPG100_3378.JPG100_3379.JPG100_3380.JPG

Not a lot of progress comparatively to you pro's out there, but we got a bit done the other day. We've cut budget so I've had to cut costs. We went down to the half inch foam by itself for the facade and completely cutting out the 2+" foam all together.
    My sister in law works at a hospital. She's been bringing home about 3 or 4 large foam coolers a week. These things are about 1.5 foot by 2 foot in size and over 2 inches thick! I get the lid, bottom and all 4 sides. These will be able to give me some larger boulders inside the first 2 rooms to simulate the rock style caverns.

I have a TON of more work per block, I know. :P

Dewayne

Comment

Metal Buildings

There are a number of companies that build these things out here in the south. I had one built for my camper, which has a desk around it (camper is on blocks). They covered the camper and the deck for about $4000. Its a big building, at least 45ft long by 30-40ft wide. I just had a 10x20 metal shop delivered a few months ago and that ran around $4000. Check out Leonard buildings. They can make them any design you want. Not very portable though. I mean you can take these things down and store them but these are solid buildings so it is going to take some work to dismantle them.
      Travis "Big T" Russell
      President
      Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Originally posted by Frightener View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]13246[/ATTACH]
        Good looking wall panel jig!

C.

Comment

Thanks. Not bad I guess for a first timer :P

Comment

Originally posted by Frightener View Post
            Thanks. Not bad I guess for a first timer :P
            Indeed, and we are going to start building some wall panels, and I'll be using that jig as a reference and general guide for what we are doing.

C.

Comment

Those carports look nice. I got online and saw how cheap they can go. Start adding sidewalls and garage doors then the prices go up quite a bit. I would be freakin out at this point in the season if I was where you are at now. I don't have any help as far as construction and fabrication either.

Comment

I agree Skeered. Yes, I am nervous. But really, All I have to do is build a wall of 4 panels, then one of 3 panels for the house part. Then hang a chandelier, move the piano and detail with paint and props.

Then I have building 2, which is a detailed building as well. However, most of it's detail is the facade and 2 rooms with a fountain, all with faux brick / rock.
                Also for this building, I have to build 2 sarcophagus, one for the crypt keeper and one for the actor. My niece is going to be an undead, vampress I guess. She'll jump out as they're looking at the crypt keeper.

Then I have Dr. Trauma, I had to build the halo and brain cap myself (or bobby helped with it), his room will be detailed as a mad surgical MoFo. Inspired by another of Larry's rooms. it was the one with the actress on the bed with fake top with guts etc and the guy commences to cut her up? That room. I liked it a lot. Loved the acting. Anyways, I'm putting Dr. Trauma in that room. Other than that, it'll be dark with spark fences, light up statics with noise and actors.

Building 3 will be an exotic "hell" scene with either the Angel Of Death, or our Zombie King. We're going to have 2 entrances to the dark maze. One normal, one "Extreme". The extreme they will have to crawl and that'll be a chore to build, but other than that, more faux rock and cavern made with Monster Mud and burlap for the stalactites / mites (sp).

As far as an update, well I got some more foam laid up and the facade carving / heating done. Been out there for a few hours and though it's not 105, it is still hot. Got too hot and came in, realized it's supper time.

I'll get more pics up in a few days.

By the way, we're at the point of no days off. meaning, we're doing SOMETHING every day. We went to the movies this morning. When we got back I started in. THIS is my day off, so to speak lol. So hopefully it'll all come together.

Skeered, we feel we have plenty of time to get construction done, and I'm squeezing in detail in between. So we should be alright.

Dewayne

Comment

Hahaha I love those brain caps! I am having a couple of my actors use them! I am surprised it came out so well, I hope it does you some good!

Comment

** Update**

Unfortunately, I have to report we were broken into last night and robbed. They got all the equipment like saws and drills, nails and screws, brackets and work lights. I'll have to see about getting more tools and such to continue, but as it sits right now.... well we'll just have to see. All the budget I have left is suppose to be for construction of wall panels... and that's it! For the time being I'm working on getting better security. Unfortunately the only camera I had up failed on me. It hasn't recorded an image in a week and a half so something went wrong there. HAD IT BEEN WORKING... I'd have gotten footage of it.

So we'll see about getting another update in a little while.

Thanks,

Dewayne

Comment

That's AWFUL news DeWayne! If I had a couple spare drills laying around I'd gladly send them your way!

As for cameras, a zmodo system can't be beat for the price!

And security? Screw the hippies and get a gun! It's a castle doctrine motha-trucka!

Comment

Man, so sorry to hear that Dewayne. Damn SOBs. Somebody who is doing all this hard work and going through so much red tape to do things the right way... absolute bs.

I had a friend that was burglarized and checked craigslist for two weeks straight, FOUND IT. The kids got busted when they showed up. Its a long shot but if you had them registered or save receipts you might get lucky.

Sorry man.

Comment

Thanks Scotty. The thing is, I have receipts to all but the miter saw. It was worked out in a deal, if I remember correctly, I still had it given to me by my father. He had bought a new one and yada yada later, He brought it over. So I MAY not have any equity in it (money or work for it) but I'm not sure. But it was like ... a $400 saw, used probably about $250. Was a nice saw.

Yeah, I'll keep my eyes out and such. I went and bought a Kobalt miter, it's a 7 1/4 blade, but its that small one they made to be very portable. It's a slider as well, with laser, double angle cutter, very nice, for $109 at lowe's.

I also got a roll around cart (plastic) to put all the small tools in at the end of the day and roll it inside. We're going to build the end wall Sunday I hope, then we can put doors on it and lock it up.

Till then... I'll try to get a few pics up of what I got done the last few days.

Thanks,

Dewayne

Comment

Throw a building party?

See if you can invite over a friend or two, have them bring their own tools, and just work on building all the actual structures you need to build and assemble them. Shouldn't take more than 6 hours or so (judging by what you have done and have yet to do) once you get a rhythm going. Then hopefully you won't need any more power tools for a while

It's definitely worth a shot!
                            If you have any volunteer actors, see of they can lend a hand and their tools?

Comment

Yeah. I thought about that. The ad for actors has been sent in. I figured with such a small haunt, we didn't have to be too quick about it. Between friends of the family's and my niece, we should get about 10 or 15 easily, which I think is more than what we need.

I'm trying to upload some pics, but everyone's on the internet tonight so it's slow, but Ima try anyways.

100_3382.JPG100_3383.JPG100_3384.JPG100_3385.JPG

The foam in the pics looks funny, but up close you can tell they ought to come out nice once coated and painted. I think so anyways, well it better because I AIN'T DOING IT AGAIN! lol. ... I can't afford to now

The box is the sarcophagus I'm building for the creeper dude above that I built. He's only got one layer of cloth so far, he'll have 2 more and a paint job. Some of that is bare latex coated sheeting so far. $45 mask and the hands were off the mask and hand set I got off Feebay that was actor worn for a skit on comedy central. The chest is off a $50 zombie costume.

I'll get some more pics up in a few days. I just got all the stuff locked up and I've been TRYING to shoot face in Battlefield 3 to calm down a bit, but internet's too laggy. Maybe later. I should be able to feel good in the morning and get a lot more done. I should be able to... wait, the thieves also took my hot knife, I gotta go to Jonesboro to get more tools. FRKIN THIEVES!

Anywho, ima log and play with the dog or something...

Dewayne

Comment

Things are looking good man. At first glance those walls look textured!

As far as lag, that's why I play mw3 :P

Comment

Working...
                                X