No announcement yet.

Hauntcon Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting back on the subject of HauntCon 09 reports...

Myself and our house designer Ethan did the 2 day pre-show as well as the Thursday and Friday night tours.

The haunts on the tours were fantastic. We espeically liked the two JayCee haunts. Knowing the budget they work with, they both put on a fantastic show. Noah's Ark was pretty cool, some of us got soaked, some didn't.

I'm on the fence for a "favorite" haunt. Realm of Terror on Thursday night was really good overall. They were pretty edgy, had some intense actors (the chick in the first room was awesome) and had a few original prop / scene ideas that I've never seen done before. My only complaint with them was the line... Running FIVE minute intervals between groups was ridiculous. I appreciate that they wanted to keep the groups spaced so there aren't any backups, but seriously, it was a long f'ing line.

The other was Terror on the Fox. Everyone knows of them, many have seen them, it was my first time. OH MY GOD. The cue line entertainment is unbelievable. The intensity that the Bad Boys bring to the "stage" of the haunt was incredible. Combined with the light show, projection and front-row-concert-loud metal, if you weren't absolutely tweaked to get into the haunt, you have issues. Inside, the scenes were detailed as only the Bad Boys can. Most of their actors were fantastic with great energy. Terror on the Fox was everything that I've heard and way more. The Bad Boys were extremely accommodating the next morning answering any question that was thrown out during the day-light lights on tour. The party across from the hotel was awesome too.

I will say that the overall organization of the tour could have been better. There wasn't any direction to go pickup your "welcome packet" anywhere, nor was there an itinerary. The lack of itinerary was an accident, but it still would have been nice to have at least a rough idea of where we were going. Hearing "now we're on our way to Green Bay, we'll be there in 2.5 hours" after the bus is already underway really sucks when you don't have a snack or any kind of drink.

The show itself was ok. I don't have any complaints, I hope the vendors did well. Certainly it's a smaller show and can't be compared to that of TransWorld, etc. I definitely got to talk more in depth with the vendors at this show since they weren't constantly swamped. Huge bonus. I didn't get a chance to attend any of the seminars, most of the ones I wanted to take were in the morning and... mornings weren't happening... It seemed like nearly everyone in the hotel was having a blast, especially after the costume ball. I think there were more people drinking in the lobby than at the bar.

So that's my take on it.
    -Brandon Kelm
    Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

Yes, my daughter went on Sunday since she was visiting friends in Racine over the weekend. As everyone stated it is much smaller, but that is to be expected. Some of the vendors who expected more were disappointed, those that had more realistic expectations do OK! As people, myself included keep saying, find a niche and play to it! How do you measure success? If you realistically claim you'll have 200-300 people and you do you are successful! Claim you'll have 1,000 and 300 makes you a failure!!

I did finally read the article. I'll just by-pass alot of the obvious hype. But one thing did send up the red flag and Gregg just mentioned it also. Quoting Leonard talking about the money Haunts generate the author says,"With so many people out of work now, he (Pickel) expects some of them to try to make money by setting up haunted houses." WHOA there big fella!!!!

I sure hope this is a misquote!! This si NOT the attitude this industry needs to start portraying....BROKE?...OUT OF WORK?...HOME BEING REPOSSESSED?....Why not OPEN A HAUNTED HOUSE??????

What next Billy Mays selling Haunt plans for $19.99!!! (Act fast and we'll include the Pickel Theory handouts as a BONUS...seperate shipping and handling!)

Everyone that spends money to create a great attraction, goes to the shows to continue to learn and upgrade their shows should take great offense at ANYONE who touts you can get in the business on a "wing and a prayer"!!! All the one season wonders entered the business thinking they could invest a couple hundred bucks and make a TON of money the first year!!

I own both attractions outright and it takes $30,000 each year just to roll onto the properties!! Then I see people saying you can build from scratch for under $10,000???? Now we have someone professing to head the "national" convention saying broke, out of work people can open Haunts?????? Isn't this the same man who tells people they have to spend $2.00 for each person they want toget throught their doors? How do you do that if you are out of work and broke????

I apologise for the semi-rant, but we as an industry need to have a more united front. We are legitimate businesses. You must invest a sizable amount of time and money to become sucessful. And like any other business, it may take 3 years to even recoup your investment...just like any other business. This isn't a get rich quick scheme, and certainly NOT an out of work alternative!!!
      R&J Productions
      Las Vegas, NV
      www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Originally posted by RJ Productions View Post
        With TW in St. Louis again next year it will three years since a Haunt show was in the Chicago area. MIlwaukee wasn't a good choice from what I am told. I would have thought they would have jumped on that and moved HC to Chicago in 2010??? They wouldn't have to go to Rosemont. There are other small venues in the surounding area, or maybe even closer to Chicago!!
        Milwaukee is Chicago area as far as I'm concerned. Whenever I fly to Chicago for business, Milwaukee is my third airport choice for cheaper tickets. The difference of moving from Milwaukee over the border to Chicago is that everything gets way more expensive.

I really like the idea of Hauntcon moving out of the Northeast and Midwest, to get away from the two regional shows. Orlando wouldn't have been my choice, but I do think either the south or out west more is the way to go.
        sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

Hauntcon should check the shows registration records and do the show closest to the state housing the majority of their attendees. How about the broke outta work people who already have haunts. Where do you go from there? (welcome to Wendys may I take your order?)
          I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

More Hauntcon reports... Hauntworld had a booth there and didn't do bad. It wasn't Transworld but it was almost half of Transworld but we're selling small things like magazine subscriptions and stuff. I don't know how it went for others but for Hauntworld it wasn't half bad! I know Patti and Erin had a blast and loved the tours, the party and everything else.

I think someone hit the nail on the head... its not that busy but you can really talk to people. At Transworld you couldn't do that what so ever it was just overwhelming so many people, rush rush rush...

I question the move to Orlando and the dates being the same as another event but Hauntcon certainly has a place for the haunt industry. I'm happy we went and would attend again!

Here are some photos!

Larry
            Attached Files
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

See even Larry liked Hauntcon!!! This is my point. There is a need for shows like Hauntcon, MHC & NHC. TW you go to do business...it's a trade show. HC, MHC & NHC you go to have FUN, get motivated to hopefully make it through the season!! My point is asking...why would you (HC)shoot yourself in the foot??? Force Haunters to make an unnecessary choice, take them away from your audience base??? Doesn't make sense!

Like Mad Max just stated, why not check your data base of past attendees. Then you find a location that has some new Haunts to tour and you have the basis for a successful show!! HC has an advantage over MHC & NHC in that they are basically stationary and HC can travel.

I am sure Leonard will only read what he wants and assumes I want HC to fail. Far from it!! If
              HC fails it is bad for the industry. If HC, MHC and NHC are successful it helps bolster our industry and provides additional exposure outside our season. I'd like them all to be successful and more importantly I'd like to free up enough time that I could attend them!!!
              R&J Productions
              Las Vegas, NV
              www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Here are photos!

We haven't really been to these types of events so its really hard to say if this Hauntcon was a success, up or down from previous years. We have no clue... maybe someone who has been in the past can answer those questions. From what I'm being told it looked like the show drew in about 300 guests, maybe more but less than 500. Is that good for Hauntcon I don't know. As for the exhibitors I know you get a lot more time to talk to the buyers and that is a good thing but it boils down to make sales and I don't know how anyone did on that end. I know that we did a lot better than we expected. We are happy!

I might attend the next one and bring my kids, I personally love Orlando but for a haunt show ummm... I don't know if that will draw in haunt owners or not. We'll see...

Larry
                Attached Files
                Larry Kirchner
                President

Comment

More photos...sorry so many are blurry I guess Patti isn't the best photographer! LOL Anyone have some photos? Want to run a full report in the next magazine.

Larry
                  Attached Files
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President

Comment

Selling...

Fortunes are made by big buck ads and ad campaigns.. but a whole lot of us still see ourselves and others as indivual people with names, faces and successfully selling often (and hopefully will always) rely upon such a human to human contact and time invested therein.
                    "Hurrah!"
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

It looks like a lot of the Vendors downsized their booths. Night screams Studios didn't bring the car this time right?
                      sigpic
                      PEACE, ADAM
                      www.poisonprops.com

Comment

Besides any of the talk of HC moving to Orlando or where to have a show...

Here was my HC experience vending for RFR and Costumes For Kids.

We did very good. We sold out of all but 3 items we brought and we were intown and brought more than org. planned.

Also made fantastic sales via non-cash and carry items. Costumes for Kids was welcomed with open arms. The Haunt Industry Coloring Books Sold out by Sat. morn at 11am (and yes, more are coming to MHC and any vendor, haunt publication or whatever that still wants in before the re-run can, just email me)

The Raffle went well, we sold 327 tickets for the Charity. Overall good show personally for me. I have talked to other vendors etc. It all depends on market. I know the Milwaukee market. So it really is give or take depending on product and of coarse, a good sales person.

Anyways, RFR had a blast, the RFR Crew got days of Audio, interviews and coverage. We have video, photos and alot of good things coming and THank you Mrs. K for doing an interview with RFR's Badger for Hauntworld Mag for the show. I don't think I evr really made my rounds to you, but I know the RFR team loved you. So thanks.

All vendors that did interviews with RFR they will begin airing on this Fridays HAuNTcon wrap up show. And it was a pleasure once again to see you all, have fun and hang out with fellow friends.

Until a month from now I will see you then. Come on MHC.

"The Original Haunt Industry, Halloween and Horror Podcast"
                        http://rfrpodcast.com

COSTUMES FOR KIDS
                        "Bringing Halloween to Disabled and Less Fortunate Children"
                        http://www.costumesforkids.net

Comment

Depending on what time these pics were taken? The aisles look as bare as Houston or Vegas!
                          All the booths were considerably downsized thats for sure. But this isnt in a huge convention building like Americas Center. I would go to Hauntcon but its always 3 to 5 states away and Orlando next year I will pass.
                          Damon
                          Last edited by damon carson; 05-04-2009, 10:09 AM.
                          Damon Carson

Comment

Photos had to have been taken at the start of a day

Larry and Rich,

Again you missed the opportunity to write from experience rather than second hand.

The pictures had to have been taken at the start of a day as it was busy every time I was on the floor, Friday, Sat, and Sunday. Patty and Erin were busy every time I walked by the Hauntworld booth so I don't think they had time to snap pics during the show hours. Nice to meet Erin and see Patty again. Hope Patty signed the ones I chimed in on about the great value of banner ads.

It would be good to read Patty and Erin's reports on this thread.

The show floor was busiest I think on Saturday, but I think the media did help bring some locals out for Sunday. If those pics were taken during show hours they would have shown lots of people. My other Hauntcon was Detroit and it seemed smaller than that. Not sure what the numbers were or how they compare.

As for the seminars, they were well attended. My belief is to share with others and I would hope they have alredy made the decision to start their business. Safety and knowledge will keep our haunts from disaster. Whether it is to upgrade from a home haunt, a trailer haunt, charity, or "pro", training, networking, and safety are very important.

I credited you, Rich, in my presentation with the great coupon distribution idea you gave me. I have only been in this business 23 years, so if I learn even one great, or two-three good ideas, it was worth the whole trip. I am still learning.

As for the HC 2010 Orlando location, I would probably not have picked it for many of the reasons already on this thread, but it is not mine to decide nor criticize.
                            Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                            Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

The photos where taken on Sunday. Patti forgot until then, some might have been taken on Saturday. I'm not tryingto show off anything but the vendor booths. Who cares about seeing people walking around. If you look at all of m or most of my Transworld photos I show the same thing pictures of the vendors. I wish she would have taken photos of the folks at the haunt tours but she didn't think about it. If someone has photos upload baby!!!

Here is the problem with 90% of Patti's photos... all blurry that is why I was hoping someone had better ones. Anyone? Seriously we want to run a story in the next magazine along with stories about MHC and Transworld but we need better photos. Does anyone have pictures of the haunt tours, seminars, whatever let me know.

Here are some examples.

Larry
                              Attached Files
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President

Comment

Working...
                              X