finding actors for a first year haunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding actors for a first year haunt

what are your suggestions on finding/attracting actors/staff to work at your haunt when your're a first year haunt? how many actors would i look to draw in.. let's guesstamate 50-100.

Size

It depends how large your haunt is going to be will determaine how many staff people you will need. A good place to get people is local schools and college's theater/drama club's and or classes. Also any college's that teach cosmetis this is going to be your make-up artists.

Comment

Posters at high schools are a sure bet...
      "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear."
      -H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

Originally posted by Hell American Freak
        I would keep my actors 18+

Comment

^That won't work... Even MAJOR THEME PARK EVENTS have teens as young as 16 working. The only difference is working ability and hours working. Just a little more forms! -Tyler
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

One avenue to explore are LARP groups in your area. People that enjoy Live Action Role Playing games usually love the idea of working in a haunted house. They already have acting experience of sorts, and sometimes can bring their own costumes to the mix.
            sigpic
            Louis Brown
            Owner, operator, and dish washer
            at
            DarkWood Manor

Comment

Great suggestion about LARP and Theatrical groups.
              Also MYSPACE. We picked up about 5 good quality folks through MYSPACE last year...

Comment

Originally posted by Nightgore
                ^That won't work... Even MAJOR THEME PARK EVENTS have teens as young as 16 working. The only difference is working ability and hours working. Just a little more forms! -Tyler
                i will say this about your comment is that the haunt i work at hardly has anyone under 18..if they do it's maybe 2 at the most..so it can be done.

Comment

i FOUND MY YOUNGER ACTORS ARE MORE DEDICATED AND ACCOUNATABLE THEN THE OLDER ONES.
                  Sean De Wane
                  ----------------------------------------------
                  The De Wane Asylum
                  www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

In a perfect world, they would be over 18. However, those that use only +18 are missing a great networking possibility. I mean, these kids go to school with our customers. They talk about all the fun they are having and their friends come out to check what their friends are doing. Yes, you have a lot of headaches dealing with young puppies, but on the other hand, if you get a 16 year old kid that likes what you are doing, you might have them for 2-3 years, maybe more.....
                    www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

I have worked with some great actors as young as 9 years old. A whole haunt full of young teens, however, is unlikely to be strong from an acting standpoint. Our rule is that if you are under 16 and want to act, a parent or sibling over 18 must also be present and be a member of the crew. This can be a great deal, as we have had several families become fixtures in haunts I have been associated with.

Some of the best haunts, strictly from a standpoint of the quality of the acting, were staffed primarily by high school drama departments. That said, there are drawbacks to having younger actors. Not the least of which is the maturity level. It can be difficult to be in position and in character for an entire evening, and harder still for the immature.

I am still in favor of recruiting from the high schools, but know what you will be getting into.

Dave
                      Lords of Chaos, LLC
                      House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Comment

Originally posted by Duke of Darkness
                        I have worked with some great actors as young as 9 years old. A whole haunt full of young teens, however, is unlikely to be strong from an acting standpoint. Our rule is that if you are under 16 and want to act, a parent or sibling over 18 must also be present and be a member of the crew. This can be a great deal, as we have had several families become fixtures in haunts I have been associated with.

Some of the best haunts, strictly from a standpoint of the quality of the acting, were staffed primarily by high school drama departments. That said, there are drawbacks to having younger actors. Not the least of which is the maturity level. It can be difficult to be in position and in character for an entire evening, and harder still for the immature.

I am still in favor of recruiting from the high schools, but know what you will be getting into.

Dave
                        that is a great point!! i have seen the difference from young kids haunting with their other young friends vs kids haunting with their parents. BIG difference! the kids with their friends would just cause trouble/lose quick interest in what they are supposed to do.

Comment

I had a mother and her 8 year old son working in my nursery scene. He was dressed as an evil jester sitting slumpped in a chair. He totally took people by suprise and was one of our best scares. It was a riot watching him and the reactions he got. Patrons thought he was one of the props in the room. At first he was a little nervous but after seeing the reaction he was getting he wanted to work the room alone without his mother. He's now hooked and contantly talks about the upcoming 2007 season.
                          Kevin
                          MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

Originally posted by jason
                            Originally posted by Hell American Freak
                            I would keep my actors 18+
                            Good luck, I hope you plan on paying them per hour. The majority of people 18 years of age and over are out of high school and looking for part-time jobs. Granted, I'm not familiar with the demographic where you are located, but where our attraction is located you're are pretty hard pressed to find anyone 18+ who is willing to volunteer, and be responsible for that matter. More power to ya' if you can gather a good crew that is out of high school, I know I wish we could. It has been my experience that the high school'ers tend to show more of a passion for what they are there to do. What it really comes down to is not seperating them by age but weeding out the ones who are there for the wrong reason.

We have been lucky enough to have gathered a good crew of "regular" actors and production staff that returns year after year, therefore this isn't as big of a problem for us as it may be for a new attraction. This too will come with time as with any other attraction that has a few years under their belt.

-Kurt
                            "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear."
                            -H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

my goal is to have paid actors.

Comment

Working...
                              X