Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My school taught me zombies DO exist - what did yours teach you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My school taught me zombies DO exist - what did yours teach you?

4 years of college, 2 weeks to go - and it comes down to 20 minutes in a class not associated with my major. All this studying and I have finally discovered the most applicable piece of information.

ZOMBIES DO EXIST!

I'm sure many of you on here already know this, but apparently in Haiti, there is such a thing as a zombie. They use a toxin called tetrodotoxin which is found in blow fish and other similar animals. When this substance gets into your blood stream - just by being on your skin - it restricts your oxygen intake, turning your lips blue and it slows your metabolism down so much that it is indistinguishable from death. Other unpleasant symptoms also arise. Your are completely paralyzed, yet 100% conscious. In Haiti, they administer this toxin to you if you are a criminal. Once you are pronounced dead by doctors, you are actually buried but then after a few hours, some of the Haitians will come dig you up. You will be disoriented and without will, so they will then give you Datura which emphasizes this state of "consciousness" so that they can enslave you. You are conscious the whole time but can't do anything about it. Sometimes, they overdose the victims by accident which does in fact kill them. In Japan, people do eat the blow fish as a delicacy and if the poison is monitored correctly, they can experience some of the fun hallucinogenic effects, but recover. Although, a couple dozen do die each year from accidental overdose. The reason it produces zombies in Haiti is because the Haitians use enough to make the person pretty much "dead" so that they can physically bury them and then bring them back. Freaky!

Here is an article on it:
    http://social-anthropology.suite101....i_to_halloween
    sigpic

That's pretty wild. With all of the crazy stuff out there, biological testing, and new more insane diseases popping up every year...its not if the zombie(like) epidemic will happen, it is when....lol.

Mike "Pogo" Hach
    -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

This idea is explored in Wes Craven's 1988 film "The Serpent and the Rainbow."

From IMDb...

"Dennis Allan is an scientist who visits Haiti on the strength of a rumour of a drug which renders the recipient totally paralyzed but conscious. The drug's effects often fool doctors, who declare the victims dead. Could this be the origin of the "zombie" legend? Alan embarks on a surprising and often surreal investigation of the turbulent social chaos that is Haiti during the revolution which ousted hated dictator "Baby Doc" Duvalier. Often a pawn in a greater game, Alan must decide what is science, what is superstition, and what is the unknown in a anarchistic society where police corruption and witch-doctory are commonplace."
      Kevin
      MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

I remember seeing something like this on the History Channel years ago. Zombies are abig part of Voodoo I guess...

Interesting story!

DA

Comment

Yeah Kevin the name "The Serpent and the Rainbow" is actually the name of the book that Wade Davis wrote. Davis is the ethnobotanist and anthropologist that was assigned to go to Haiti to figure it out in the 70s. He published the book in 1985 and he actually hates the movie that was made. Although I wouldn't mind watching it...
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah they do the same thing to Wal-Mart employee's. Espessically the door greaters. "Welcome to Wal-Mart." Ewwwhh it sends chills down my spine!
            Damon
            Damon Carson

Comment

Working...
            X