Vendor Communication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendor Communication

This will be my first year running my own haunt, so I'm just learning when it comes to dealing with haunt vendors. Hopefully some of the veterans on here can answer my questions and I don't end up being a pest and damaging relationships before they even start. I'm having some trouble placing orders and getting replies when it comes to certain vendors. While I refuse to give names, I do think it's fair to ask some general questions so I know when to move on and not fall behind schedule. So here goes!

1) How long after you send an e-mail or place a phone call to a vendor do you wait before calling or writing again if you get no reply? -- I'm asking this because I'm assuming that some of these vendors don't do this full time and may only respond on weekends or other days.

2) At what point do you assume the vendor does not want your business and move on? -- I know this sounds harsh, but I've got a schedule to keep!

3) Do most vendors respond better to e-mail or phone calls?

Here's an example of what I'm dealing with. Maybe you all can tell me if I'm being fussy and I just need to be patient or if I've got some valid frustration. I'm used to placing an order either via website or by phone and then getting it shipped whenever the product is ready, whether it be 2 days or 6 weeks as long as I know when it's coming.

At Transworld, we found items that we wanted to use to create our main character at our haunt. 2 1/2 weeks ago, I went to the vendor's website and attempted to place an order online, but the online store wasn't working. No problem. I sent an e-mail expressing what products I wanted. This was just before the Mid-West Haunter's Convention, so I honestly didn't expect a reply until after that. Sure enough, I got an e-mail a few days after asking for my contact info so the order could be placed and then payment could be arranged. That was sent over a week and a half ago and I haven't heard anything since. I've called a couple of times and left messages, but nothing. We really need these products to start shooting some footage for our haunt next month.

Am I being impatient? Or is this typical of the vendors? I'm not trying to be hateful or anything, I just need to know so I can plan for these kind of delays if this is the norm.

I've never had so much trouble trying to give people money!

Love some advice here.
    http://www.hauntedozarks.com

u can only wait for so long....u have deadlines and things to get... there s enough haunted vendors that do amazing work.....if i get a shitty hambuger from mc ds i might have to go to burger king...

Comment

Give them some time

Don't forget, we're getting closer to our favorite time of the year, which means they (the vendors) probably have MANY orders they have to fill besides yours. I can tell you that I just placed an order recently myself from the guys at Lights-Alive for a FireFly 501 (lightning simulator) & they emailed me thanking me for my order saying they can have it shipped out either today or tomorrow. I've never met these guys before BUT I have talked to them by phone a time or two, they've been great with returning my calls, & most recently our communication has been through email. Hopefully at next years TW I can go again & meet these guys in person. They seem to REALLY know their stuff. Just try to have a little more patience with the vendors, more than likely they'll come through for you.
      Last edited by newhorror2010; 06-17-2010, 09:56 AM.
      John Elks - Staff

www.deathrowhauntedhouse.net

Comment

Haunted...

Email me who your trying to contact and I will help you reach these guys. I am known for my communication skills with Vendors in this Industry. Lots of times these vendors are just covered up. Shane and its my email is shanedabbs@aol.com Shane this time!!
        sigpic

Comment

Being a vendor myself who also has a day job, there is no reason to not return a call or email within about 2 days. I get my email on my phone even when I am working my day job I still try to normally at least answer questions with in a couple hours. It may take weeks to get orders done, but I tell potential customers that up front.
          Brian Warner
          Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
          Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
          Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Working...
          X