No announcement yet.

2011 Haunted Overload progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incredible Eric!! I'm looking forward to helping you out one day this summer when we head up to our house in New Hampshire! You create some really amazing things! Keep sharing the pics!

Comment

Eric as usual WOW! Nice stuff. Really amazing what you guys do.
      Damon
      Frightmasters
      www.houseofffright.com
      Damon Carson

Comment

Thanks guys, it's time consuming but worth it in the end when the scene is finished. Also everyone has a lot of fun building these one of a kind props.

Eric
        www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Pumpkin Heads

Well, Eric we did use our pumpkin heads last year on top of the poles this year we will work on getting the bodies in place. What did you make the torso from to puff it out? I will attach pics when complete.:mrgreen:

Comment

I have used a wooden frame with corn stalks tied tightly together in the past for the giant 34 foot figures. You can also use a chicken wire frame, branches, burlap, cloth or anything you think will work and be sturdy enough for the weather. These smaller figures will have 2x4 frames with wire mesh to fill them out.

Here are some photos that may help show the frame and structure of the bigger figures.

Be careful if you attempt this!

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Super work!!!!! Love the pumpkins! I see they are made of foam and are somewhat hollow. Can you give a few tips on how exactly to make one? I have a pumpkin patch and would love to make a few of your pumpkins. Also why do you coat it in roof tar? Thanks for any help with this!

Sue
              http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

Thanks Sue!

A lot of what I do is trial and error. These particular pumpkins because of their size were made by having a foam insulation company spray a ball of open cell soft foam first. Then I carved it smooth with a wood rasp. A top coat of closed cell harder foam was sprayed on top and carved the same way. It acted like a real pumpkin because I could carve the face and pull out the soft foam in the middle. The roof tar was an experiment and I doubt I will use it again. I like Liquid Nails for the protective coating then house paint and spray paint for the finish coat. The Liquid Nails fills in some of the holes and gaps. I like to leave a lot of the imperfections because it looks more like a real pumpkin that way.

Here is a video Kyle Aruda made for his senior project that goes step by step how to make a pumpkin with Great Stuff and a balloon. I like this method. These are not that cheap to make but each one is an original. Return paint from Home Depot $5.00 a gallon is used in this video for the first coat, that's why the strange color.

Have fun!

Eric

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

These are a ton of fun to make. Eric helped a ton with this project.
                  I used a bigger balloon that I had to buy at a party store for the size of the pumpkin. Shaping it after the foam dries will kill your hands! It's tedious, and you'll always find an imperfection- but if you look at real pumpkins, there are not any that are perfect.
                  The first coat of latex paint helps strengthen and seal the pumpkin. The black just gives the final color a nice pop. I used a lighter yellowish-orange inside and a darker orange on the outside.

I'm thinking about making another one this summer! I'll make a more detailed video if I do.

-Kyle Arruda
                  www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

AWESOME!!!!! Thank you for the quick reply. I am going to give this a try. You are all so very talented!!! Thanks again! And a huge yes! to another video. Love your work!

Sue
                    http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

Looks Great!

Eric everything is working great!!!!!!!!!! Shane and it's I wished I had your talent! Shane
                      sigpic

Comment

Bigger is better

I have Eric to than for this beauty. My first home-made prop.

Haunted Overload is so inspiring.

Ed Z
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looking good Ed! You must have used a ton of Great Stuff. How was the pumpkin received? Did your neighbors like it?

Here are a few more shots of the detailing of the new hands. Many steps to go, the veins will really pop with the final paint job. This will all be painted black first then I will bring out the highlights with a dry brush effect.

Creepy dolls in progress. Also sharp fingernails for the pumpkin hands on the table in front of the dolls.

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Staged Pics

Hi Eric,

Everybody loved the pumpkin. I did use it in my yard as well as my first Haunted Attraction - Haunted Lehman Park (Town Haunt).

My icon pic is from my front yard.

Here are some staged pics for anyone wanting to make a big pumpkin.

Only 70 cans of great stuff!
                            Attached Files

Comment

70 cans?!?

Comment

That's awesome Ed! Did you take the TW seminar? The price of 70 cans is not that bad when you consider it is a one of a kind custom prop that can be used for years. Also the satisfaction of making it yourself is priceless. Not to mention the lessons you learn along the way.

Thanks for posting those.

Eric
                                www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Working...
                                X