Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Split a room at Transworld Ren Hotel???.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow

Last year after Transworld I told a few friends at church my wife and I sat in on a church service at a haunters convention. Even mentioned another time about a thread about how many Christians were haunters. But where this thread has gone......I think I'll forget mentioning everything on this thread. Damn!

Comment

This thread got me thinking... I'm assuming most haunts have a gay employee at their haunts or maybe several, but doesn't it seem like the haunt business does not appeal much to gay people? Not as guests mind you, as owners... Thoughts?

DA

Comment

DA, just to clarify, I am straight. But in '09, we had a gay guy work for us. He was a makeup artistfor us on some nights, and was always an actor. He may not have been as aggressive as other actors, but he deffinately put in a good effort.

I have no problem hiring a gay person, but they need to perform up to our standards. No matter who you are, what you believe, or what you prefer... If you can perform as an actor well, then I'll consider hiring you.
        Brad Bowen
        Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
        www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Dark,
          I have several gay friends who work at and own haunts, It may be slightly stereo typical but their flair for drama and artistic eye dont do them any harm in a haunt setting. I have no issues with it at all.
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Pretty sure all my guys are straight. But one female in past could have been bi. I just didn't ask. In ALL seriousness...my original posting wording was chosen VERY carefully. In no way could it be construed that while I do not participate in alternate lifestyle I could not be accused of hate ;and starting a pickett/boycot of my or anyone elses haunt by gay community. Wifes former classmate started a big stink among former classmates on facebook over this very issue and it was ugly. I know those of gay community and we no more talk about it than my craziness of thinking of selling farm to finance my run for U.S. Senate. (I am millionaire on paper...cash poor.) But most business owners on here can probably understand that. I have had large group of lesbians come to my corn maze on sweetest day before. Their money looked exactly like everyone elses. In fact when I did that nights count....i couldn't tell who paid with what?

Comment

Brad and Allen I'm sure what you guys do and said is common but they still seem to be on an actors, make up and costume level. How about gay haunt owners? Just seems to not be a venture they appeal to???

DA

Comment

Good news I have a room and am going to enjoy being alone at the Ren in my king sized alone

Joke - hope everyone can figure out a good financial and social situation ...

Comment

Fyi

I am looking for 2 lesbians to get their freak on with me! I will wear pink lace panties! Shane and it's look me up! Shane
                  sigpic

Comment

Dark, I know there are gay haunt owners in the industry. I know them personally.
                    They are great well respected men with an awesome haunted house. It may seem odd to you but they are out there.
                    How is this any different than any other industry. Just curious?
                    Creativity is necessary for any attraction and as Allen said their "stereotypical flair" could be a bonus for their haunt.
                    Just my 2 cents.

Greg
                    Fearfest
                    Greg Allen
                    scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                    www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Allen I always took you to be a bit homophobic with all the topics that are brought up in the chat room?!
                      Damon
                      Damon Carson

Comment

Greg, you're reading into the thread wrong I'm not saying it's weird or otherwise all I was saying is it dies not, on the surface, seem to be any haunt owners who happen to be gay. I guess you proved there are some. I guess you never know who might be unless they are open about it and I've not read anything like that before on here.

Comment

No problem Dark. I understand. It is amazing the differences all haunters have aiming for one goal.
                          Greg Allen
                          scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                          www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Just sayin!!!!!!

Well I will let Rick say it! Shane and it's I am a kinkie guy! Shane

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                              Greg, you're reading into the thread wrong I'm not saying it's weird or otherwise all I was saying is it dies not, on the surface, seem to be any haunt owners who happen to be gay. I guess you proved there are some. I guess you never know who might be unless they are open about it and I've not read anything like that before on here.
                              Just to add to what Gregg was saying, there is a haunt owner in the DFW area that is about as openly gay as I think I've ever seen anyone. He is really respected in the community and used to work for another major haunt before venturing off on his own.

And I do know of many major haunts in various markets that don't participate in any way on these forums.

So yes, there could be many owners out there that are gay.
                              Brad Bowen
                              Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                              www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

This thread has been very, um, interesting to say the least....

Yes, as has been pointed out, there are lots of gay haunt owner/operators. Several of them you guys already know and several of them would probably surprise you. Not everyone is stereo-typical, as within all cultures and classes of people. To make the assertion that they are all 'theatrical' is going out on a limb. The guys I know, all drink beer; love blood, guts, and gore; and are usually mistaken for being "straight". Also, assuming that they would be better suited to work in costuming, acting, or makeup is a pretty bold, dangerous, and inflammatory statement.

I think the biggest issue is this (and I'm sure many will disagree with me) is that for the most part, this industry is predominately male driven. Sure, there are women that own haunts, but the majority are straight males. Unfortunately, our industry also comes with a large amount of sexism and homophobia, as a result.

For an example, a small local haunt (here in GA) has pictures up on their FB account. It is directly linked to their profile, here on HW. In one of the pictures is two of their workers in costumes scaring folks. Nothing racy or weird about the picture. However, the picture has been labled "F@GS" by whoever set it up. I know for me, that's an instant turn off and totally uncalled for. I figure if thats the maturity level of this haunt, I'll keep my money and go see some other show.

Like it or not, many of the comments in this thread (intentional or not) can be viewed as homophobic. I'm sure Wickedfarmer and all, meant no harm but it still reads poorly on the maturity level of our group. This is why many of the gay haunt owners, I know, choose not to 'come out' as it were to the haunt community. The snide comments and off-color jokes create a sense of uneasiness and hostility, intended or not. God knows, Hauntworld is usually rife with drama. These owners feel no need to add more. If we are to change the perception of our industry to be more professional to the public, these areas (both sexism and homophobia) need to be addressed and worked on. People are watching us. Bottom line: we need to treat all folks the same.
                                Lee D. Sanders

Comment

Working...
                                X