How to Detail Your Haunt and Foam Carving DVD... Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Detail Your Haunt and Foam Carving DVD... Update

Hey Folks... yes I know there are some upset people that we havne't shipped these out yet to people. We would have already but I can't tell you the draining hours we spent trying to open for TW. So very sorry... the good news however is that someone will be mailing ALL OF THEM OUT ON MONDAY!

If you ordered either one of these DVD's and did not pick them up at TW your order is going out on MONDAY! I promise!

I hope for all the people who purchsed them at the show get a chance to watch them soon and let me know what you think. Again VERY SORRY they didnt' go out yet but they are going out MONDAY!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Any feedback from anyone who has watched this video yet?

DA

Comment

A++++

Im barely half way through the Detailing DVD and Im all ready just floored at the ideas giving in the dvd. I purchased the first dvd last year and was absolutely impressed as heck. It didnt phase me once when considering buying Larrys second detailing dvd as well as the foam carving dvd. I havent got to the foam carving dvd but the detailing dvd is great. The crew really takes pride in presenting the techniques. Awesome dvd. I know I'll watch this one many times as I have the first dvd. Look forward to what ever other dvds Larry puts out..............maybe that dvd on shelac.......lol!
      Kelly Anderson
      Owner- Halloween Undercroft
      http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
      Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Comment

So, just finished the detail DVD's part one and two AND the foam carving DVD. These are by far the BEST DVD's that Halloween Productions has ever put out. The amount of detail, techniques, instruction and shellac makes the price of these things well worth it!

Ok, Larry...I know you're reading this! To make this series more complete, how about the very basics...How to BUILD your haunted attraction. I mean from selecting wood, building walls, setting-up and bracing, build techniques...etc. etc. Think about it...cover building and construction, foam carving, detailing, etc. etc...you'll have a real series of how-to's. Also, maybe some stuff on tech for haunts; could all be on one by DVD! Lighting, sound, Efx, etc.

Great series. Just trying to think of something to make it more complete! -Tyler
        Chris Riehl
        Sales@spookyfinder.com
        (586)209-6935
        www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

We r going to make another DVD soon. How to scare in ur haunted house. I know I know our haunt tours haven't been totally scaring they have been focused on giving haunt owners ideas for ur haunt. During the season we focus on scares only. First it's building the haunt and then u turn to the operations. So as we move forward our focus now is hiring and training for making people scream. We will make another video on just screams. We r going to make another video on how to gore. So those will be the next two but keep ur ideas coming they r all good ones. Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President

Comment

i lie typler's idea. can someone give a break down on what the detail tips cover?

Comment

Ummm there is so much I can't even tell you its all a blur ... the dvd is like 2 hours and 20 minutes long I know that. Its more of the same from the first one just different stuff that you didn't see in the first one. We talk about new ways to detail all through out the dvd. We did most of the video in our new elevator room did walls with vac form, a little bit of foam carving, aging, talked about props and more.

Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President

Comment

Well Typlers idea isn't bad but you could watch This Old House or buy a construction book at Home Depot. You should always use correct building principles whether working on your home or your haunted house. Unless, you flat out don't like doing things the right way. Also, a lot of community colleges offer cheap construction classes and quite often your local town will over adult community ed classes on stuff like that.

Now that being said of course there are some things we do that are a little different than most building techniques. Some of us build walls out of 2x2 and double side them. I still like to over build my walls and use 2x4's with top and bottom plates with vertical 2x4s in the center so it can support a load if need be. The walls are heavier and take up more storage room but they hold up well to people running into them.
                Jared Layman

Comment

That is what I was referring too! Plus, building a haunt IS NOT like building a home...or we'd ALL be using studs and drywall with insulation!

I'm just stating, that to make this series more complete, there needs to be a "how to BUILD your haunt" DVD. Do I need it? No. Would I buy it? HELL YES!! There is no correct way to do anything here, but it's always good to learn from others because they may have a better way of doing it than I do! There are always small details that a viewer will pick-up that they might not have known.

We also use 2x4's with one vertical stud in the center, plywood on both sides where needed. Yes, they're heavier and bulkier, but they'll last FOREVER!

You could also hit up some things other than walls...crates, drop windows, ramps, scenic treatments, prop construction, layout and design, etc. etc.

Just a thought.

-Tyler
                  Chris Riehl
                  Sales@spookyfinder.com
                  (586)209-6935
                  www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Larry,

I would LOVE to see a video on scares from you guys... I'd also love to see your haunt when it's set up for hardcore scaring!

DA

Comment

Originally posted by Nightgore View Post
                      That is what I was referring too! Plus, building a haunt IS NOT like building a home...or we'd ALL be using studs and drywall with insulation!

I'm just stating, that to make this series more complete, there needs to be a "how to BUILD your haunt" DVD. Do I need it? No. Would I buy it? HELL YES!! There is no correct way to do anything here, but it's always good to learn from others because they may have a better way of doing it than I do! There are always small details that a viewer will pick-up that they might not have known.

We also use 2x4's with one vertical stud in the center, plywood on both sides where needed. Yes, they're heavier and bulkier, but they'll last FOREVER!

You could also hit up some things other than walls...crates, drop windows, ramps, scenic treatments, prop construction, layout and design, etc. etc.

Just a thought.

-Tyler
                      I hope we all use studs. Plus, drywall and insulation would be more like finishing a house not rough construction. We generally don't plumb our haunts either. Besides I said basic construction principles not basic home building principles. I only mentioned homes as in "whether you are doing A or doing B use a variation of C". I'm surprised you weren't able to differentiate that and jumped to the conclusion I meant build your haunt like your house. Anyway, in my opinion if you are going to build a haunt you should learn basic constuction principles then apply that knowledge to our particular brand of construction. However, you are wrong about saying there is no correct way way to build something. There may be more than one correct way to construct something but believe me there is a difference between proper construction and improper construction. Trust me Typler I am not arguing with you it would be a good video.
                      Last edited by mindtumor; 03-15-2011, 09:37 AM.
                      Jared Layman

Comment

Wow, these were great videos! Bought the first one last year and couldn't wait to get my hands on Part 2. Boy, did not disappoint what-so-ever. I was saying halfway through, "Hope it doesn't end because I'm getting so many new tips." Seriously, was taking notes like mad. Well, sure enough, it did never end (2 1/2 hours!!!) YeeHaw, that was a serious value. Loved you going through your haunt at the end while narrating. It was insightful hearing your point of view and hope you finish the tour in the next video. John, by the way, is talent on steroids! He's just so calm and cool while saying, "Well, gotta paint this hot water heater..." and BAM! 10 minutes later it looks like it was there for 30 years. He's a maestro.

Foam carving video was also terrific. Was just interrogating Hot Wire Foam Factory at Transworld and to see many of the tools in action was really helpful in figuring out what tools I'll be getting. Once again, this video was chock full of amazing page filling notes. Thanks so much for making these videos available. As a home haunter this really helps bring the realism up a bunch of notches in a quick amount of time. With only one night to showcase your work, you want make it worth your time. Larry you and your team are so talented and fun to watch. You're the best.

Comment

Thanks for all the reviews... keep them coming because we'd like to make a couple more before we probably once and for all retire from making videos forever.

We'd really like to know if you like them or don't like them and why.

We plan on doing a scare video, gore videos and maybe we can do a marketing video or something. Let us know what you want us to do.

When you watch the two new videos you can actually see all the work we put into creating the Darkness for the tour... it was more work than we ever imagined.

We have about 50 copies of each left ready to ship... I think we've shipped out every single order we had for both of the two new DVDs.

Go to www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com to get your copy.

Thanks
                          Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President

Comment

Hey Larry, when did the DVDs fianlly ship? I ordered a copy, along with some back issues of Haunt World mag, back in Febuary... the mags arrived shortly after I placed the order but still haven't received the DVD.

Thanks,
                            Jim
                            Jim Shackelford, Co-Owner
                            Haunt 2013, LLC
                            and
                            The House of Boo
                            Dallas, TX
                            www.haunt2013.com
                            www.thehouseofboo.com

Comment

Hi Larry,
                              I would like to start with that I found your "How to detail vol 1" very interesting end gave me lots of tips I never thought of before. Also the Haunt World mag isAwesomee and love the new sections of Howto'ss.

But Now you asked for criticsics and I hope I don't offendend you because I am still going to purchase other videos.

First "Haunt World Videos" errg I love seeing haunts but these videos are redundant and show nothing useful that they hardly are worth the cost. I have seen many of the older videos and very poor quality and they are boring

Secound "How to Create a Haunted House" WOw I can't believe I spent that much on that video, some very few key points but mostly you advertising your haunt, for people looking to make their garage/home haunt into something pro this def isn't the video. Was Looking for tips on setup design, them creating, you know a little rundown of what it takes to get a haunt going. I found Kelly Allen's book a whole lot more useful and and other book called "Shock Therapy: Planaphobic" by G.N Stumberger to be more useful.

Third and Last for me is "How to Detail" There are awsome ideas i never thought of before but lacks professionalism and at points concentration. It seemed you where not sure where you wanted to take the video so you jump from Point A to B to C and D in seconds. A tripod is a great tool to use, a little video editing and have the plot laid out so your not bouncing back and Fourth looking for objects and pausing on what to say.
                              Would like to see some projects from start to finish (Yes it may takes months but with video edit you can take it down to hrs while conveying the whole story.)
                              Things I think would be great to see is different aging techniques, techniques on using cobweb shooters (cant seem to get my gun down pat) foam carving can def go on infinity because its so light yet realistic, Creating and using Pneumatics so they add too not take away from realism, maybe Animatronics, Help people to create in-depth story plots (im so sick of haunts that jump from one thing to another and have no connection)

Alright Well sorry for my rambling and again hope I don't offend you because again I love Haunt World and all that you have done to help the industry I just wanted to give some input (take anything or nothing) but figured more input that the direction can only keep improving.

Comment

Working...
                              X