Trying to settle a disagreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to settle a disagreement

Can or should perma blood be used on your skin as a makeup alternative?
    And to remove it should you use or would it be harmful to use acetone or brake fluid on your skin to remove it?
    I know this might sound a bit out there but a big haunted house has actors using perma blood on there faces and bodies and they say these are things that they use to remove it. In my way of thinking it sounds ridiculous and outlandish! I wondered what everyone else thought on this. Please help settle this debate.
    Thanks,
    Damon
    Last edited by damon carson; 07-26-2011, 02:07 AM.
    Damon Carson

I vote this is one of the stupidest things ive heard in a long time! In my opinion perma blood looks good on clothing and props but it doesnt look realistic on skin. And to use such hard cleaners on your face would be damaging to your skin and complection. I wouldnt never think of using such hard chemicals on myself.
    Damon
    Last edited by damon carson; 07-26-2011, 02:17 AM.
    Damon Carson

Comment

Damon-

A couple of years ago, I accidentally left a used bottle of Perma Blood in our actors costume room. One of the actors put it on her face thinking it was blood makeup. I nearly freaked out thinking it would be super hard to come off skin. The next day, she came in and she said she had no problems taking it off with soap and water. We only use Perma Blood on our props and set dressing. I would not use it on any of our actors as a blood makeup. I was always under the impression that this is not supposed to be used on skin. Maybe Kip could chime in :-)
      Last edited by Spookyant; 07-26-2011, 02:45 AM.
      www.nightmareslive.com

Comment

Im sure Kip would enjoy the extra business if he did market it as a makeup alternative. Although I dont think he would benefit in the long run if someone was to use it, or use it for a long period of time and suffer from some type of rash or skin damage either from it or whatever they claim to use to remove it. If its not marketed as a makeup why would somebody use it as that?! That just doesnt register with me. I dont think anyone would want to get sued over something like this. Perhaps a warning label would prevent some of this?
        Damon
        Damon Carson

Comment

Yikes....

My vote is with Damon Carson... NO!!!! LOL
          The chances of harmful chemicals seeping into your body and having allergic reactions, I would think would be hightened beyond my comfort level.
          As a makeup artist, or owner, your job would be to do everything you can to make a great show, as well as create a safe environment for your actors. This seems kinda blatantly not safe.
          I witnessed a "Corporate run" haunt last year, that was giving the actors furniture polish remover to remove their pro-aid. They also had people applying the adhesive that were causing loss of eyelashes and didn't care if it "burned", just use it.
          May I say, I was horrified when I saw that! LOL
          I am very cautious when it comes to others skins
          Good luck with this guy
          Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

Personally I think this thread is important if your a haunt owner. Actors do alot of stupid stuff and you might not even know its going on under your own roof. We are always worried about the safety of our customers. I think you need to worry about the safety of your actors as well. They move props and lights ect. Many actors have done stupid stuff and even hung themselves. In this sue happy world anything can happen. And dont think for one minute if some young person comes to your haunt and the other actors throw all this crap on them lord know what it might be. Not necessarily perma blood but like furniture polish ect. Dont think some parents is gonna be like what the hell and try to sue the hell out of you for putting there child in danger or harms way. This would be the worst or most extreme scenario. All I got to say to others if you dont like it dont read it! Somethings need to be brought up or addressed so others dont get hurt or suffer from it in the long run!
            Damon
            Frightmasters
            Damon Carson

Comment

I wouldn't use it for skin unless the bottle said so.

My hubby has skin sensitivity issues and simply brushing up against his skin with something wonky causes hives or a weird rash. No telling what would happen to a sensitive skinned person when you dump a bunch of stuff on them like permablood that you have no idea what the ingredients are.

It might be totally safe to use and just not labelled safe for skin as to not have to disclose the recipe, but I wouldn't chance it. Theatrical blood is cheap and easy to find and works great, washes off skin easily, and is hypoallergenic. If even for legality issues, I'd stick with theatrical blood. Just my humble opinion.
              Kimmy

http://hauntedkimmycreations.weebly.com/

Comment

As far as using it on your skin I would not recommend it, as I do not believe it is meant for that. The ingredients are not listed so again you really don't know what you are putting on your skin if you did so. Whenever I am working with it and get bits on my hands I always get the "you're bleeding" comment later if I dont get it off. It is not the easiest thing in the world to get off. It does look amazingly realistic and wish other actual makeup bloods did look and dry like it, but the closest I have seen is Cinema Secrets FX or Hollywood Blood. I do remember a thread about permablood a year ago and if I am not mistaken Kip did not recommend using on skin and using gloves as it could stain your skin.

As far as the removerss.....Brake cleaner I would absolutely put nowhere near my skin without gloves let alone on my face! Acetone will work but is meant more for removing nail polish. Its pretty harsh stuff if you don't use it sparingly and/or have sensitive skin. Ive only used it if I had no other choice and really needed to get off adhesive that I didnt have or lost remover for. I prefer always using the remover designed for the makeup product, or Isopropyl Mysristate.

Like Katie said, especially if you do not know what is in it, or the medical history of who it is being applied on you have to be very careful with anything being applied to an actor's skin, especially the face. There are a whole myriad of reactions that can occur in different people, as well as most red dyes already naturally being an irritant, especially in the eyes (it has been known to sometimes cause infections). There was a local makeup shop near me that was doing a full head latex demo on a young lady that had never worn makeup. He did not test her skin first, and she was unaware she had a severe latex allergy. While applying the makeup he did not realize when he thought she had fallen asleep in the chair, she had actually passed out due to her air passageway closing from swelling (again something he really should have noticed regardless). It was removed and she was rushed to the hospital and ended up being ok, but definitely a lesson to be learned to always test your actors skin with products they have never used before, reactions can be from nonexistent to severe.

Be carefula and be smart about what you use.

Never, ever, EVER use superglue as a replacement for an adhesive either! (have heard too many horror stories about this...you will end up in the ER and/or disfigured).

Mike "Pogo" Hach
                -Mike "Pogo" Hach

Comment

This really is a dumb question it's clearly marketed as a permanent paint to be used on props, scenery or even costumes. Might as well splash some Rustoleum on yourself and use paint thinner to remove it them go see a dermatologist lol!

DA

Comment

Nah I saw go ahead and use it...then use a belt sander and a razor blade to remove it and sue the dumbass haunt owner that told you to go ahead and use it on skin...Do these people think about what they are doing to there actors and their faces...or do they say...Hey this seems like a great idea.

Comment

Dark it is stupid! Thankyou Captain Obvious! But the thing is people are doing it. And these people that told me they do it argued that it couldnt hurt you to use it on your face or body and they use these other materials to remove them. Spook Im right along with ya man! Another option is after you use brake fluid on your face and hands ect light a cigarette and burn off the remainder of perma blood still stuck to your skin. LOL! Insane isnt it!
                      Damon
                      Last edited by damon carson; 07-26-2011, 09:09 PM.
                      Damon Carson

Comment

NIGO , no perma blood on skin. Bad idea.
                        Joshua
                        www.hauntedprints.com
                        info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

I love permablood BUT not on the actors! There are plenty of other options out there and I'm sure Kip would not condone the use of Permablood on any actor. Kip...... ??? I'm waiting his reply.
                          Greg
                          Fearfest
                          Greg Allen
                          scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
                          www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Same here Greg thanks for your reply! Even what Mike said when applying it you want to wear gloves! This was another thing that was argued.
                            Damon
                            Last edited by damon carson; 07-26-2011, 09:17 PM.
                            Damon Carson

Comment

Spook,

I hear you loud and clear about people using the belt sander and razor on their faces. But it might be an improvement on some people's faces there's not too many attractive people overall in this industry from what I've seen so why not??? Jk lol

DA

Comment

Working...
                              X