Important Rules About Charge Card Transactions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important Rules About Charge Card Transactions

If you are using something like SquareUP for charging tickets, or any other device for that matter, take into consideration the four most important rules to credit card transactions. I found this article in the Business Insider and given all the discussions and popularity around the Square card reader, I should share it with all of you. The link to the full article is blew but I also cut and paste the four rules mentioned in the article.

http://www.businessinsider.com/use-c...ng-sued-2012-4

1) Don’t let anyone else touch your dongle. Yes, those cool gadgets that Square and PayPal Here use to read credit cards are cool, but that doesn’t mean you should be passing your phone around for everyone to play with.
    The only people who should ever handle your dongle – the little thing you plug into your phone – are you and perhaps one of your trusted employees. That way you can make sure that every transaction processed is legitimate and accurate. The damage someone can cause with just one misplaced reader can be devastating, so keep a careful watch on that little bauble at all times.

2) Only make transactions on your business network. To prevent any card-processing issues from carrying over into your personal life, you should use your card reader as a dedicated business device only. The device should stay on the company network and make deposits only to the company account. Not only will you reduce the chances of downloading malware from a corrupted smart phone (it’s easier than you think), you’ll also keep your personal finances safe from investigation should you ever be audited for processing what turn out to be fraudulent credit card payments.
    3) Review every transaction at the end of the day, every day. You’d be surprised at how many credit card payments you’ll end up processing with one of these apps. Square alone processes more than 4 million transactions per day. Since these transactions can really pile up over time, you should make it a point to review your history at the end of every business day to make sure everything checks out. If you find a breach or suspicious charge from someone’s card, then report it immediately. The sooner you can address security issues, the better off you’ll be – at least in the eyes of the courts.
    4) Do not store any card numbers. The biggest no-no of the PCI regulations is keeping card information on a server that’s connected to the Internet, since that invites hackers to come and raid your network. Because smart phones and tablets are pretty much always connected to the Internet, you need to make sure that your processing app isn’t saving any card information from the credit card payments you run through it. Many times, the app will take care of purging this information for you, but you should always check to make sure you aren’t holding on to any data that could get you in trouble.
    Travis "Big T" Russell
    President
    Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Originally posted by BigT View Post
    1) Don’t let anyone else touch your dongle.
    That's what my wife says ALL the time.

Comment

My Little Dongle

You know, it was incredibly hard posting that without chuckling at least a little. I tried and failed. But now I think I will post these rules in the ticket booth for all to chuckle!
      Travis "Big T" Russell
      President
      Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Working...
      X