Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually went to THAT tradeshow.
    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

celebs

Speaking of celebs i tried too approach gunner hanson twice at the show too get an autograph for my ten year old son who was
      Waiting anxiously outside the convention all he qanted was him too
      Sign his texas chainaaw massacre shirt that han gunners hero character featured on it
      Gunner told me he would be back at his booth in 20 minutes i said ok great and we were even willing to pay the twenty bucks to have him sign a really cool glossy for him .i stood at the booth for almost an hour and no gunner not old was a ten year old child extremly disapointed but we never saw him the rest of the show on the other hand dee wallace and ivonna kadaver were extremly nice and very caring is there a place i could mail this shirt to get it signed and returned with a hlossey signed as well it qould make one lil boy very happy thanks
      So much in advance

Comment

Jake,

The riff raff you speak of is here to stay now that Transworld is charging. An enthusiast or even a hanger on can go if they want to pony up the cash but you are right that is away from being a serious trade show and will not help the vendors but it is what it is. Transworld might as well just open it up to the general public at a fee and let everyone in willing to pay and rake in the cash and even invite a horror convention to join them like the new show since its all connected now. Of course in doing so, I'm sure the top industry brass would break away and do a new exclusive show for them away from the rest.

DA

Comment

Big picture

Well Greg I guess you put in perspective the big picture. Going after C&C unreported might actually shoot themselves (the State) in the foot chasing away business they are collecting hotel tax and all other fees on. The form for this years festival where I got the tax forms generated from last year is sitting on my desk now. The hassle it caused me is the reason I have not sent my $200 the day I recieved the registration form like I normally did. I will. But good point they do not want to scare off the geese laying their golden eggs for part of an egg.

Wicked Farmer
          Last edited by wickedfarmer; 03-14-2013, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Doug,

Couple things... as you know because you are on the list I sent Jenny a list of about 10 things she should or shouldn't consider down the road. I do think all this stuff like the Price is Fright or blah, blah is all silly stuff that really takes money off the show floor. All the cash and carry might also take money from placing orders. The show is suppose to be an order writing show not MHC Part 2... no offense to MHC but that show is not a show where vendors hang their entire year on sink or swim so to speak. MHC is the fun show with all the things to do where you can let your hair down so to speak but every vendor I've spoken to who went to MHC said they lost money doing it. Its mainly a show at least from my view point where you do haunt tours, seminars are super cheap, you dress up, you go to parties, and yes there are some vendors as well. I don't want to see TW become MHC or vice versa.

They are both successful based on what they do well... I'm opposed to price is fright or interactive haunts, or all this other silly stuff that is going on now. The show should focus 110% on putting vendors and buyers together to do business without the least amount of distractions.

So I'm with ya... people carrying around whole entire booths is not good for the show. Having a bucket full of red set up badges and no one checks and anyone can run around the show floor also hurts the show. The security was really bad as well all the way around the board.

The show is getting a bit haunt haunter nothing wrong with that but then the focus isn't on the industry which is a 1 billion dollar industry... we didn't let people take our costumes out of our booths for a reason because you are not suppose to do that.

If we sold everything as the show went on how could anyone see what we had to offer? Personally after the show is over and I mean totally over if vendors want to unload their stuff and let people take it great but ONLY after the show is OVER!

I'm with ya 110%.

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Larry

You are totally missing the point of The Price is Fright...It was to drive people to the booths that took part in it. So the vendors could educate the people on the products, get pricing and support the industry. 35 bucks wasnt a make or break sale, and that was the cost to get in. Are you angry because it went on Saturday night making people decide to go to Price is Fright or The Darkness. Hell your haunt cost them 60 bucks a pop to see it....with that said NOW lets talk about taking money outta peoples pockets and hurting sales. On a side note...I didnt see you there, so how can you form an opinion on this event if you werent actually present and see it.
              Last edited by Tater; 03-15-2013, 01:03 AM.
              Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

Tater,

NO I could care less every year of this show there has been something planned for Saturday night... whatever association does their thing, someone threw a zombie party this year, price is fright, city museum or whatever else. No not at all.. I'm merely agreeing with Doug that the show might be getting much away from the core reason you are there. I could care less about anything else... in case you didn't hear Tater we had a line of a 1000 people, Gore Galore was there with 20 costume monsters, we had a half dozen monsters sliding around, 70 actors inside, and honestly it was the MOST FUN I've ever had there... I wasn't thinking about what else might have been going on. We did our haunt tour for this industry people who want to see a haunt in action with new scenes, animations, like an interactive seminar ... we don't make money on the event not even close! We'll do it again because people asked us to and because I actually had fun this year renovated the darkness and I had the most fun opening for people. I enjoyed all the responses and the feedback... but opening a haunt at a haunt show is kind like putting bacon on a hamburger.

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President
                www.HalloweenProductions.com
                www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I did not do either one I gave my tickets to Wicked Farmer for Darkness live I did not need to go twice in one week and just did not go to The Price is Fright because I was a little tired and wanted to relax and pack for my flight home. I went to Shane's for the first time just to see. I am a person thats I likes to do what I want when I want so I buy every thing I may want to go do and give them away if I don't go. I am at the show to buy and learn. Not to wake up too tired to do either, old fat guys need there rest. I did the Darkness VIP thing liked that we got to see areas I have not gone through before that was nice. I do think there are some people there to party and I did not see them much on the show floor so it did not bother me, so maybe that is who the other stuff is for I don't care I don't have to go its my choice but having at the show is fine with me.

Phatman
                  Phatman

Comment

After Hours

I don't see anything wrong with the parties ect. They are all after hours and no way competes with the show. It gives vendors and buyers a chance to network after the show and something to do. That's the very reason we do the party and I know it works because of the support from the vendors we get. We promote them and the donations show's that the vendors support the event for the buyers so everyone wins in a positive way. It does not take money from the show that's just silly really to think that because they either buy or they don't. I have never said oh do I go to the party or whatever or do I buy this $5000.00 prop If that's the case tell them to shut the bar down I don't drink but I do know they are like 7.00 a pop!!! People know what they want, they know what they want to do, they know what they want to buy. I like seeing all the events yes it can get to a point where there can be to much when I started my party it was just me and Larry's event but hey just as us anyone can do them. Just realize your not going to make a dime!!!! The celebrities everyone tells me they love them we do not make a dime on that either it cost rooms, food, booth, travel you name it I know me and Paul are the ONLY VENDOS WHO DOES NOT MAKE ONE DOLLAR BUT IT'S OUR WAY TO GIVE TO THE INDUSTRY AND SUPPORT THE SHOW! I think it add's a little wow to the show! Shane and it's no one needs a baby sitter we all know what we want or do not want to do!
                    sigpic

Comment

Curse you Phatman

For ratting me out! Actually the couple in front of me and my one crew member had tickets someone just gave them too. I have another nickname besides Wicked Farmer in other circles..."two beers". Sitting at the Ren bar all night is not my thing and the show does end at 5:00. Been to Darkness twice now...and doubt I would go back next year even with someone offering me tickets from their combo with behind the scenes tour. Show room floor what little I heard Price is Fright seemed well recieved. AND the idea behind it wasn't just a time filler, but to talk to vendors you might have otherwise just skipped by so you knew prices of show floor items. The more vendors you talked too the better you were prepared for being a contestant. And the more you talk to vendors the more ideas you connect as to how you can incorporate their stuff in your haunt. I would probably go to that next year if it runs again. I am a haunt that spent about $10,000 at the show this year...$2000 with Doug. Truth be told I could have bought every single item I got easy without going to Transworld EXCEPT for House of Boo. But I go to keep making those contacts and plan my next years purchases as well and how my haunt show will evolve. I need something besides the bar, City museum and Darkness to gather with others from 5pm on after the floor closes.

Larry I hate finding myself on other side of you on this thread. But it didn't stop me from sending you a PM about a custom CGI effect. I guess we are all big boys and know the more we discuss, the better the show becomes hopefully. Greg; virtually said my suggestion/worry for vendors to cover your butt on sales tax was shown to be much less important than I had said when putting the WHOLE picture into focus. And that is why we are all here after all I guess. Had Custer sat around the camp fire and discussed with others more instead of holding to his plan he wouldn't died at Little Big Horn. Do the Darkness again man! People will come. But do not be too quick to poo poo the other events. Without them I would probably start going every other year as easy as I can do business without the show. And Graystone never been to your party...probably never will, but as long as people like it do it. The city museum will run its course too.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Wicked.....

There you go. You either go or don't want to go and that's just as it should be. As long as it continues to be supported and everyone has fun I will keep doing it. I will say this the party goes on till 1:30 but I left at 10. I did my job, Sue is the Best Host and that's where it begains and end its all about people having fun! I know Ben did the event for the very same reason he want's it to make sure everyone has a chance to do everything they want or may not want to do. Shane and it's there you go!
                        sigpic

Comment

dun dun dunnnnn

To be honest..
                          -Show Floor
                          I think this year was the start of a change, some vendors are now starting to think out of the box and stepping it up while others are still stuck on lame mode haha. For Example Poison Props really stepping it up with his animatronics making them more life like with there movements. Dead house Designs trailer was just bad ass. So much detail and it didn't even feel like you were in a trailer. Another company took the simple vortex and made the platform tilt. That right there reminds me of Dyson, they took simple hand dryers and turned them into to the new high-tech ones. The mannequins that were animatronics were awesome as well! Also Scarefactorys new inflatable! Thinking outside of the box and BAM look Larry said he bought 2, my friends zombie paintball is buying 2, my haunt is buying one. Things sell when you do something different.

-Darkness
                          Larry you said you don't make money on it... please inform me where all that money goes to haha Saturday alone you said you had over 1,000 customers... at $60 bucks each thats over 60k in one night. plus you were open thursday and friday...
                          You do a renovation with your haunt just like any other good haunts do. yea you spend more to make it as detailed, but you also have the "best haunt in america" so you kind of expect to spend more to keep such a high volume of people to come back.
                          So unless all the money that you had went towards actors and staff... you made a profit cause all that money you made went into your haunt..
                          Just saying lol

-The Parties
                          Okay I'm from Chicago. Their is like 30 events going on EVERY weekend here and no one looks at it as a bad thing.
                          People come to the party to socialize and have a good time, the more options we can give them at transworld the better! One year they go to the darkness and the next year they want to try something new and go to the price is fright, or vise versa. Its about having a good time, networking, and learning more about the vendors. For the price is fright, not to be biased cause I DJed it, but I think that is going to be the new thing for transworld. It was its first year so there were a few bugs, but overall I believe people learned a lot from the 5grand in props that they were giving away for free at the event.
                          I also attended the darkness on Thursday which was fun seeing all Larry added. Next year I'm going to try and make it to the insane shane party.

-Taxes
                          well... if they haven't been paying them for the last couple years... vendors are about to get screwed pretty hard lol They do not play nice.

-Nic

Comment

I think TW is a show that you can choose what is your cup of tea and do the things that you want to do or don't go to the things you don't like. Just make the show your own show, with all the options it makes it fit all types of personalities. I am not a drinker but was at Shane's party and the bar most nights, it was a go place for like minded people to get together and talk shop. Every year I say I won't be going to the darkness but I see pictures online and go to see what is new, I went on the Zombie Safari last year and thought it was going to be lame but to my surprise it was fun. If we did not have options like that I don't think TW would be the show it is. Sorry for selling you out Wicked " Two Beers" Farmer but the ticket were expensive and it is good to make sure they get used.

Phatman
                            Phatman

Comment

No Offense Larry, just trying to understand. You do not make money at 60 bucks a ticket?
                              But, in the halloween season you make money charging 20 bucks?
                              Even if you broke even you made something. It paid for your props or whatever....

Thanks,
                              charlie

Comment

Gunnar Hansen

Originally posted by KaoTic Entertainment View Post
                                Speaking of celebs i tried too approach gunner hanson twice at the show too get an autograph for my ten year old son who was
                                Waiting anxiously outside the convention all he qanted was him too
                                Sign his texas chainaaw massacre shirt that han gunners hero character featured on it
                                Gunner told me he would be back at his booth in 20 minutes i said ok great and we were even willing to pay the twenty bucks to have him sign a really cool glossy for him .i stood at the booth for almost an hour and no gunner not old was a ten year old child extremly disapointed but we never saw him the rest of the show on the other hand dee wallace and ivonna kadaver were extremly nice and very caring is there a place i could mail this shirt to get it signed and returned with a hlossey signed as well it qould make one lil boy very happy thanks
                                So much in advance
                                Kaotic,
                                Send me your email and i will see what I can do..
                                Paul Johnson
                                atrox@windstream.net

Comment

Working...
                                X