Air Compressor Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget-evilusions View Post
    Just a warning to anyone using anything other than metal pipes to run a main air system,
    PVC and Compressed air is a long, no win debate. Strong opinions on both sides.

We have to do runs of 200 feet to 1400 feet from our compressors. So we don't have unsightly pipes running everywhere, and are easy to change things around, we use Semi-Truck air-brake line.

These lines are designed for compressed air, are flexable and standard quick-release fittings can be attached to the line.
    ~HauntedWebby~
    www.lazarusmaze.com
    www.bbqandghosts.com
    "Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected the expected?"

Comment

Originally posted by HauntedWebby View Post
      PVC and Compressed air is a long, no win debate. Strong opinions on both sides.

We have to do runs of 200 feet to 1400 feet from our compressors. So we don't have unsightly pipes running everywhere, and are easy to change things around, we use Semi-Truck air-brake line.

These lines are designed for compressed air, are flexable and standard quick-release fittings can be attached to the line.
      Air line is perfectly fit for use as an air system. That's how mine are always ran, especially since we are a temporary attraction. I was just cautioning against PVC pipe. I have also ran air systems out of 3/8" polyurethane and polyethelyne tubing, both of which are also rated for pressure.
      Brian Warner
      Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
      Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
      Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

I agree with all the great advise above. Another thing that would be very helpful for you is that each one of your props have a reserve tank that has enough capacity to activate your prop twice with a one way valve. With this sett-up you can go with a smaller/cheaper compressor. If you have it in the budget the largest CFM compressor you can get would be great.

The manufacturer I get my prop supply's from also has reserve tanks that resemble cylinders and can be customized to meet your needs.
        Ken
        www.boocrewproduction.com

Comment

Harbor freight has these refrigerator dryers for not a lot of money. I have always been tempted to try one out. They go on sale for about $100 off the current price a couple of times a year.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40211

Brett Hays, Director
          Fear Fair
          www.fearfair.com

Comment

Brian,

I agree that there isn't any PVC manufactures that I'm aware of that recommend PVC for air use, however I would like to share my thoughts on a few things.

What really does PVC in is "shock". IE, going from 0 to 150psi rapidly. We use 1" SCH80 which is rated at 630psi working pressure. Between our two compressors we have 140 gallons of 175psi air if both are at max. Even if I open both valves at the same, by the time the air goes through the regulator and filters, it still takes a good solid few minutes for the rest of the house air system to "catch up" and equalize. And even then, if both compressors are at max, by the time everything equalizes, the entire system drops to ~50psi due to all of the ballast tanks and air lines. What I'm getting at is, it's close to impossible to "shock" our system, we just don't have the volume at the compressors to do it.

Brett, how long have you been running that Husky? As I said, they aren't bad compressors at all. I have the 30 gallon vertical at home and it's not bad. It runs extremely quiet, has a decent max pressure, runs cool, etc. The only bad thing is that it pulls every bit of 15 amps on 120v, so I can't have anything else on that circuit. For those that go shopping for a Husky, beware, I noticed the other day that they brought in a few of the direct drive oil-less models.

geckofx, 380CFM? I'll assume that it's also pushing upwards of 120+psi? I'm curious, diesel or 3phase? That's a bunch of air!!!
            -Brandon Kelm
            Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

It's a diesel trailer unit that we rent for the month of October. We aim to have the system equalize around 120psi so we are give or take 10 psi or so at any given time. We have some serious high volume draws. We have a 2 section moving floor that can drop an 80 gallon reserve tank from 120 to 60 psi in about 5 seconds, that is with 2 1" incoming airlines. It takes about just as long to refill and triggers every 10seconds or so. We also have 20+ air cannons ranging from 1/2" to 1" valves. They are all regulated to about 80psi or so, well most of them at least, our water cannons run at whatever the current house pressure is. Toss the 20+ props we have, with about a 10second delay between triggers, the occasional air leak, and a busted prop or air cannon venting air and there you have it. We tend to run very hard for an hour to an hour and a half at a time then the system gets to rest. We go through so much volume in that short period of time with everything going off at the same time that simple adding volume tanks wouldn't begin to make up for the usage we have. I'm telling you props are one thing, but once you start adding the really air hungry applications like air cannons and moving floors you enter a whole new dimension of silliness.

The only warning with an air dryer is make damn certain it can handle the capacity you are going to throw at it. If you have an 80CFM compressor running at 120psi, you will need an air dryer that can handle the same or more.

PVC is meant to handle high pressure applications the problems most people run into is what they are using to seal and bond the connections. They have PVC cements and sealants out there that are specially meant for high pressure applications. Talk to a plumber.

Freddie

Comment

Agree!!

100%.....Freddie, could you imagine asking Injun Mike "hey Mike, can you run PVC throughout the whole house so we can pump air through it?"....I can hear him laugh now!! He nearly had a heart attack when asked to install a sprinkler system...

And yes, the air cannons we built definitely added some awesome startle effects, but you're right, they're resource hogs for sure...."More air, anyone?" I'm glad we had that larger CFM compressor...we wouldn't have made it with the other one....

Comment

There are various grades of pvc pipe, you will recognise the kind meant for high pressure because it will have a rating number printed on it and the side wall is thicker. The average pvc pipe used for most household water systems may not contain 120 pounds of air pressure indefinately, and yes, the better stronger pvc does cost more money.
                  I use 1/2 inch galvenised steel pipe. Beware the cheaper 1/2 inch galvenised made overseas, some of it is thin-wall and the threads don't hold a seal no matter what you do.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                  X