Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BREAKING NEWS: MHC sold to Transworld

Via Neena Collins from MHC:

"Almost ten years ago to the day the organizers of the Midwest Haunters Convention, Kelly and Neena Collins & Barry and Kathy Schieferstein, received an email announcing the end of the Ohio Haunter’s Conference. We made the decision at that time to continue to offer an event for the entire haunt community in the Midwest and MHC was born. Ten years later the show has grown beyond our wildest expectations to the point where it is no longer possible for us to grow and manage it in the way it deserves.

Today Transworld Exhibits has agreed to purchase the Midwest Haunters Convention and continue to present it as we originally intended, a place for the entire haunt community to come together and to Buy, Sell, Learn and Scare! The organizers would like to thank everyone who has supported us over the past ten wonderful years – our sponsors, exhibitors, presenters, and attendees. We look forward, with great anticipation, to seeing Transworld take our dream and make it even better!”

Will this make MHC better or worse? Thoughts or opinions?
    http://www.bigscaryshow.com
    http://www.rabidbadger.org

Wow

That's big news.
    Thanks.
    Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
    http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

Kelly called me earlier tonight and told me about it... I was at the Darkness doing a CGI PHOTO SHOT! Yeah kind of a shocker but I want to congratulate Barry, Kelly and Neena (how do you spell her name I'm as dumb as they come) because they did this show for 10 years. We owe them a lot! Now they can relax and enjoy the show!

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Transworld buys MHC

Hope this doesn't mean booth prices will double for 2015.... Small market - wont support higher prices, might lose vendors which will lose attendees...

Unfortunately I think this is the end of MHC

Has anyone visited National Haunters Convention in P.A. ? Or Canadian ?

What did you think ?

Curious ....
        "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
        www.maliciousstudios.com
        "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
        http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

Comment

I'm not going to say you are right or wrong because I think you might be right to a small degree... the show even if those who operated it before dont' want to admit it wasn't a buyers show perse... I think it was more a celebration of everything people love about Halloween. Yes you have vendors but they don't sell much and the biggest vendors tried the show and didn't return and if they did it was a booth or none at all... its a show for small vendors, unique vendors, but more importantly everything anyone loves about this industry. They have the biggest haunt tours, the most seminars, zombie walks to body painting, wild crazy out of control parties, events, everything, anything, all rolled into one and the catch run by people who love the Halloween.

By taking them out of the ownership mix and moving in Transworld might for some spoil the 'hey we want to support these guys because they are like us' attitude.

I can see alot of those people especially the ones who feel they are not welcome at TW even though they are might say maybe its time to do something different... I think all of those feelings are possible.

Let me just say this two shows three shows, four shows, five shows (TW, MHC, Hauntcon, EHC, WCH and Canada and whatever else) are NOT needed to serve the haunt industry... they only need ONE SHOW where everyone shows up at the same time. I think the reason for the success of say MHC the most successful of the bunch is because people WANT TO GO not because they feel they can't miss it ... if that charm is lost I think maybe the show is lost with it.

But who is to say that will happen... we should wait to see what TW has in store.

Lastly I can now see the other shows hopping on bandwagon a bit here and promoting we are still the little guys come support us... and it could happen. We'll see...

The flip is the show could get a lot bigger and better than ever... that is also possible.

Its one of those things wait and see what happens and make a judgement after you see, feel, touch, and taste.

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President

Comment

Well, MHC is obviously going to change big time. I think the tradeshow aspect will improve a little, but they aren't going to allow it to get so big that it overshadows Transworld. When it moves to another state that's not that close to Ohio then it's pretty much over for the convention I think. If it moves to another state that is. I don't think you'll be seeing that big of changes until 2015. I predict a new logo, website etc.
            Spooky Wishes
            Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

I just see it as Transworld trying to grow their business. They started a similar show to MHC in Florida last year. They are already the middle men for vendor to buyer transactions in the professional haunted attraction market, and recently they have been trying to get the same position for the home haunter and smaller haunt market as well. The only things I imagine changing with MHC are the prices you pay for the show and for the seminars/classes. And, I think vendors will end up paying a little more in the end as well, but any price hikes will be gradual. Transworld is a bigger fish. Takes more cash to feed a bigger fish.
              sigpic
              Louis Brown
              Owner, operator, and dish washer
              at
              DarkWood Manor

Comment

The Big Scary Show is going to talk to members of all parties involved next week. What questions or concerns do you have regarding the sale of MHC to Transworld? We will ask them directly...
                http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Let me address a lot of the concerns with one short statement. If we thought MHC was going to be drastically changed from what we had already been planning the deal would not have been finalized.

Comment

I think the most important question would be is whether the Midwest Fantasy Show is still going to be a part of MHC?
                    sigpic
                    Louis Brown
                    Owner, operator, and dish washer
                    at
                    DarkWood Manor

Comment

Louis, the Midwest Fantasy Show only occurred a couple of years. The Body Art Fashion show was the only thing that survived. As one of the most popular events at MHC I cannot imagine it going away.

Comment

Saint Louis ... Meh....

With all the other conventions in Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Kentucky, etc. I have no use for The Halloween Show in Saint Louis... The cost of showing ALONE turns my stomach... Seems wasteful / ATLEAST for me.

If MHC comes to an end I believe allot of us will consider these other conventions first...
                        "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
                        www.maliciousstudios.com
                        "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
                        http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

Comment

All other shows besides St. Louis......meh

I am in Michigan. Never attended MHC but every show in St. Louis ....and also in Chicago before that. St. louis is only one at right time of year for Wicked Farmers. During MHC I have always been farming.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Honestly I have NO IDEA WHY Transworld bought this show it makes NO SENSE ... the only think I can come up with is that Transworld is concerned with what the Halloween retail show is doing with Hauntcon. Personally I think whatever Hauntcon is doing with the Retailers won't make any impact in the TW show ... but to me a lot of things don't make sense. I don't know why TW does this Legendary Haunt Tour that doesn't make any sense... then they did that horror convention in Florida that didn't make any sense, now buying MHC another one that doesn't make any sense. I will say that you can't say these guys aren't ALL IN with Haunted houses. LOL

From talking to Kelly from MHC he sounded happy to finally be able to get out from producing the show so he can focus on his haunted house and build up that business.

I think Kelly and his crew made the right decision to sell their show... if I had been in their shoes I would have done the exact same thing!

Now Kelly and their group can try to build up a premier haunted house in Columbus!

Larry
                            Larry Kirchner
                            President

Comment

I think its a good move and I bet MHC will remain largely the same or will be improved.
                              www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                              X