Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Life Blood of your Event

Haunted Attraction Owner / Operators,

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']It's that time of year where I like to plan out everything I can before we get into the last minute scrambling to finish the haunt by September 1st. I wanted to pass along a tip of what I'm doing at this time of year for the life blood of your attractions, your staff![/font]

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Start making up categories of the staff that we want to recognize at our end of the season party with an award. I would like to suggest that no matter how much you pay an actor, a simple award and a sincere Thank You goes a hell of a long way to make that person a loyal supporter of your event in the future. We started taking applications for this season on July 1st, and by the end of the day today just 2 days later we had filled 95% of our 100 plus staff. This is a great testament to the loyal staff we have returning year after year. [/font]

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']We hold an annual dinner the Saturday night after our last show. We reserve a restaurant large enough for everyone to sit together and celebrate another year of haunting. This is also an appropriate place to hand out the payroll checks. But most importantly this is a great opportunity to give an award for those hard working actors and support staff.[/font]

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']I encourage all of you to take a little out of the boo bucks budget and spend it on some awards. I would like to suggest if you can afford it, get everyone something.[/font]

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Here are some suggestions for you to think about.[/font]

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']1. A button for every year that an actor / support staff has been with your haunt. This can be in increments of 5 years or whatever fits your needs. This year I will have one staff member that has been with us for 18 years in a row. I can’t wait for the 20th year for him that will be something special. I think a trip to Transworld or IAAPA all expenses paid would be fitting![/font]

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']2. Most Haunted Plaque - The most outstanding actor of the year[/font]

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']3. Crutch Award - This would go for outstanding support of the event. Example: one of your maintence staff, chain saw repair, tractors, air props, etc.[/font]

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']I have some of awards from Ghost Ride productions that are perfect for this idea. Buttons are an inexpensive way to build the moral and bragging rights amongst the staff.[/font]
    Tony Wohlgemuth,
    Comes up with the fun stuff!
    Kersey Valley, Inc.
    www.KerseyValley.com

Those are all great suggestions. Great looking out for staff!

Comment

I have always thought a picture, maybe a cartoon of a haunter with arms up, game-face on, trying to scare people would be a good trouphy item.
      Of course a scene of the customers not being scared at all and the haunter's flashlight "On" and pointing straight up out of his back pocket, giving him away long before his scaring opportunity would make it a trouphy item for the most hapless, often unsuccessful haunter/scarer.
      Of course we have never known anyone in this sinking boat now have we?
      Nooooooooo!
      HAHAHAHAHAHAH!
      (Yes I have done this too!)
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Tony, those are good ones to keep. What do you think of also giving it to IAHA for the Haunter's Handbook? It is a perfect fit and gives good things to know and realize.

(the other Tony)
        The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

Thats some great ideas. Its always good to see a business treat their workers/volenteers with respect. If you don't treat them right they could possibly ruin your haunt by saying negative stuff about you or your haunt. Not that that would happen, but it could, or maybe has.

Anyways I think showing the staff you appreciate them for their hard work and dedication is a must in all businesses. Not just the haunt industry. I know when I finally get a haunt up and running I want to put on a BIG party like I do now for my staff and possibly hand out trophies and such. Good recognition goes a loooong way.

Comment

Working...
          X