Billboards and self-determination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billboards and self-determination

I have used billboards for the past two years with relative success. The problem now is that our local billboard provider (they have a monopoly on our area) won't let us choose billboards locations any more. They claim its for my benefit but I already know where my customers are coming from, and I know which billboards would best reach them. Their sales person sort of accidently admitted that they like to choose because it leaves their options more open. We were turned down as a client solely because we won't sign a contract unless we get to choose the locations. They basically said "don't let the door hit you on the way out." We never asked for a discount and we lease 10 billboards for 6 weeks... and other than this one sticky point we are very easy to work with. From what the sales person said I can see their perspective, larger corporate customers send a check and don't give a crap about where the locations are or tracking success. But I also see a lot of unused billboard space year round (including October). They said they can't allow customers to pick their own locations anymore.

As a startup owner (only 3 years old) with a relatively tight budget I can't afford to just let someone pick locations based on what's easiest for their schedule.

Anyone else pay for billboards? Do you get to pick locations upfront? They made it sound like we were being unreasonable for wanting to pick locations.

It is just me...

..but I would tell them "Sorry I do not work that way. Come see me when you want to sell that billboard if I haven't found other modes of advertising by then". RESIST the urge to tell them to go jump in a lake and burn your bridge. Now I am established for 16 years so I laughed at them and hung up for similar; but I own my own billboards on the farm as well.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Im with wicked farmer on this one. They are trying to control something that they shouldnt be. I think because it is an election year and know billboards will be used up by politicians they dont care. It will bite them in the long run and they will be sorry after this year. Dont play by their rules and if they dont work with you its their loss in the end.
      Greg Allen
      scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
      www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Originally posted by wickedfarmer View Post
        RESIST the urge to tell them to go jump in a lake and burn your bridge.
        Are you a mind reader? Hehe.

Yes, I badly want to. We wasted two hours in their office discussing our plans and hand picking each billboard by checking the availability on each. It wasn't until the next week the salesman said his manager changed his mind and wouldn't allow us to keep the locations we had selected. I was very much wanting to burn that bridge. I still want to. But you are right in that it won't help to do so. However, I not sure my ego will ever allow me to hand them a check again. Certainly not without them changing their mind.

As I said before, we believe the billboards were only mildly successful in attracting attention. If you measure by our customer exit survey the billboards barely broke even, whereas Facebook and word of mouth took the lion share of the "Which influenced you the most to visit?"

Comment

Now you are sounding like

..an established veteran. My billboard has been there 16 years. it doesn't bring people in that much. It reminds them as they go by AND THEY KNOW WHERE I AM when they here their friends say "You have to go to Bestmaze". Word of mouth you talk about trumps all advertising. Give them a good show and keep it fresh.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Working...
          X