Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall Theme vs. Hodge-Podge

I have a question for the forum members:

Do you strive to keep an overall theme throughout your attraction, or is you attraction a hodge-podge of many different, seemingly unconnected themes.

This is kind of along the lines of the old "backstory or no backstory" question.

How about coming up with a backstory to tie together you hodge-podge themes?

Thanks.
    Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
    http://frightinfalcon.com

Originally posted by Abunai View Post
    I have a question for the forum members:

Do you strive to keep an overall theme throughout your attraction, or is you attraction a hodge-podge of many different, seemingly unconnected themes.

This is kind of along the lines of the old "backstory or no backstory" question.

How about coming up with a backstory to tie together you hodge-podge themes?

Thanks.
    Bumping this thread so that I can subscribe to receive replies...
    Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
    http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

To theme or not to theme

I am a huge believer in having a cohesive theme and backstory. It can help add to the immersiveness of the attraction and experience. And it satisfies my engineering OCD to always have a logical flow and meaning to everything. I go so far as to say things like "we can't put the closet off of the kitchen, it makes no sense. Why would a large closet full of clothes be in a kitchen? It MUST be the exit from the bedroom!" So even though they all might fit the theme of an old Manor, to me they need to have a logical flow even within the same theme.

But sometimes you do have to throw in some of the "standards" even when they do not make sense. For example, we were not planning on having any clowns last year. Then we took on a new partner who insisted on having clowns. So next thing you know, we have a small clown area that really doesn't fit, but I'm sure it scared at least a few people. But then this year we get to remove the clowns and put them out in their own area, out of the actual "manor".
      -Eric
      Chief Engineer/Co-Creative Director
      HUSH Haunted Attraction

sigpic

Comment

Depends on haunt

An indoor haunt where you immediately go from room to room; and can even see into the next room before leaving one room must flow. In my corn field I do not have connecting rooms but shacks. The flow at first bothered me; but NEVER in 12 years of hodge podge (16 years operation) have I ever heard a client even suggest the flow was off. Now if a buch of haunters went through my haunt I AM SURE they would comment on "Why is there an Egyptian room before the Jason mask room; it makes no sense". Well all my shacksa are separated by a couple twists and turns along the 1/3 mile long path. They seem to love it. And I will add; they LOVE and comment ecstatically that I change so much every year. The hodge podge allows me to do that. Why go to a "back story" that is the same thing every year. My customers view those places like "Been there -done that". They come back here every year because they like that I usually change 75% of all scenes every year It keeps it new and fresh! Much harder to do with keeping flow or back story. They come to my place and do not need a backstory. They know something different awaits them every year. Why I started my own trading circle with several haunts and drive around the country every winter "vacationing" and pickup trading props. Get to visit New Orleans, Atlanta, South Dakota, Florida and more on my trips. lets me meet more haunters across the country doing the hodge podge style AND I LOVE IT! So anyone have nursery or insane asylum stuff to trade after this year???? Will need it for 2017. Give me a shout and I'll come see you. Always looking at any cool animatronic. Always switchi8ng graveyard props. Had the Distortions Breakthru that was at Transworld this year. Had it a year and it is going down the road. Same for Palenight video Breakthru (double door)...one year and gone. Poison Flying Vampire with wings is looking for a new home in 2017. Gore Galore Slither I just got MIGHT stay here 2 years, but likely just keep switching heads on it and keep the system. Call me unapologetically hodge podged. BUT don't try this in a small building. Then even I would say...Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Wicked Farmer
        Last edited by wickedfarmer; 03-23-2016, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedfarmer View Post
          The flow at first bothered me; but NEVER in 12 years of hodge podge (16 years operation) have I ever heard a client even suggest the flow was off. ... Why I started my own trading circle with several haunts and drive around the country every winter.
          Wicked Farmer
          This is great business advice. Because haunting is artistic in nature I think some of us tend to get wrapped up in the art itself. But what you need to do for a business to excel is not the same as keeping true to an art form. I love the art but I love money more. (I know, you're not suppose to say that.) A thriving business will grant you more freedom to express whatever artistic outlet you require. So thank you for sharing Mr. Wicked.

Comment

Hodge Podge themes are signs of a haunter who doesn't have a clue... that is a person who goes to the show and just buys everything they see that they like.

Haunts have moved away from that big time. Haunts now have story lines that match the theme of the attraction. A hodge podge haunt is awful in my book!

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I watched your video Larry of a walk through 13th Gate,?arebt they a hodgepodge haunt? Moves from 13 different unrelated themes?

DA

Comment

One thing I can say is that average customers who spend the money just want to get scared!! They really don't care about theming as much as a great scary experience for October. On the other hand if you keep to one theme throughout your haunted house it's easier to make changes within that theme. We do two separate haunted houses where the themes are realism and fantasy. So in the realistic haunted house you will find Hospital, prison excetera. In the fantasy house it's aliens and more Monster driven.

Comment

Superbowl 2017

There will be a commercial where I and Larry are yelling at each other. One saying "Tastes Great" the other..."Less Filling" But I do say I agree 100% with what Larry said for a indoor haunt with connecting rooms. But in my corn field....Hodge podge rules!

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Wicked farmer, do you have any video of your corn attraction?

Comment

We did...

and it was destroyed. And I never got some good stuff redone. That is one of my priorities this fall. Shamefull to say I do well in some aspects, and totally drop the ball in others.

Wicked Forgetful Farmer

Comment

13th Gate - actually I understand your point but you must understand that is his theme 13 different gates of horror. But each of those gates are themed together for example the old London area might have 5 or 6 rooms themed together, same goes for the mansion clown here... overall 13 different themes.

At the Darkness we have a I don't even know its like all mythical gothic type theme going on then upstairs its like a mansion type time, then you get to the clowns and its all clowns and Silo-X is all zombies.

Different themes but all in the same boat together.

I don't like haunts that have a clown scene, then a butcher scene, then a graveyard, then a boiler room, then freddy or jason.

I hate that.

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President
                        www.HalloweenProductions.com
                        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

"I don't like haunts that have a clown scene, then a butcher scene, then a graveyard, then a boiler room, then freddy or jason.

I hate that.

Larry"

EW!! Yeah a little too jumpy for me too. My hodge podge flows a little better than that.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Working...
                          X