Faux dust anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faux dust anyone?

Not sure what is used to make rooms look dusty/dirty (other than real dust, of course). We have several rooms this year that we'd like to give a really dirty look to, but i can't for the life of me think what would work.

I know in some of the photos of your different haunts, I've seen that effect.

Any advice?

Thanks for your input!
    www.mindseizure.com
    www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

We use Baby Powder at Terror on the Fox.

Take care,

Tattoo
    Mike "Tattoo" Krausert

Senior Project Manager

Thirteenth Floor Entertainment Group

www.thirteenthfloor.com

President - Bad Boys Scenic Design

Comment

Thanks, Mike! I appreciate the quick response!
      www.mindseizure.com

Comment

We use Fullers Earth which is available at most theatrical supply companies.
        Kevin
        MindWerxKMG, LLC

Comment

Tattoo-

I always thought TOTF smelled baby butt clean! Now the secrets out.. lol

take care Sean

**Dry brushing the props and what not gives a good "dirty" look as well as the suggested above items.
          Sean De Wane
          ----------------------------------------------
          The De Wane Asylum
          www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Yeah, I did drybrush a few, but it just wasn't the look I was going for. I will look into Fullers Earth, also. Thanks!
            www.mindseizure.com

Comment

When I helped out with a haunt a few years ago, and at my home haunt, I used whole wheat flour. We just sprinkled it on tables, mantles, furniture, etc. Just try not to put it on the floor, as the flour is quite slippery. The brown colour of the whole wheat flour looks good for dust.
              ________
              herbalaire vaporizer
              Last edited by dusty588; 01-24-2011, 05:09 AM.

Comment

what's wrong with using powdered dirt itself?

when using baby powder, do you tint the color? is it too white..plus does your whole house smell like baby powder?

Comment

Nope, our Haunt does not smell like baby powder, and there is no reason to tint it because we rarely use white light in our scenes..........white tends to take on scene lighting quite well.
                  It's just something we have always used for dust and it works well for us.

Take care,

Tattoo
                  Mike "Tattoo" Krausert

Senior Project Manager

Thirteenth Floor Entertainment Group

www.thirteenthfloor.com

President - Bad Boys Scenic Design

Comment

wow sounds great. thanks for the tips!

Comment

YOU BLOODTHIRISTY MANIAIC CREEPS!
                      HOW MANY BABY'S DO YOU HAVE TO GRIND UP TO MAKE THIS "BABY POWDER" STUFF?
                      Or maybe you buy Baby Food and dehydrate that?
                      It must be made out of Babys too since that is what is pictured on the label?
                      Truth in packaging!
                      "Bugs" are in flour to start with , can't keep them out. Just because you "see no Weevil, doesn't mean they are there waiting to hatch.
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Dust to Dust...

Jim is right, damn it! Besides, baby powder can contain talc a substance not to good to breath. Stick with the Fullers, it comes in different colors, is treated to be sterile and is fun for the whole family! We apply it with one of the old garden dusters, a pump like device with a tank for bug or plant powders. Any air born dust can cause breathing problems, to much of anything is a bad thing.

Matt
                        Last edited by Matt Marich; 08-31-2007, 09:15 AM.
                        Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

For "permanent" dust on something you can try this. It was done on accident -- which is the best kind of fun.

Use some spray adhesive! Get a fan and point it at the thing you want to have a durable, non-wipeable coating of dust. Put the can of spray adhesive in front of it and let it fly. The adhesive will settle on the object and look like dust, but it will not wipe off. I did some signs like this and they looked sweet.

It works best on dark objects though.
                          Jeff Martin

Owner/CEO
                          True Adventures, Ltd.

Comment

I love finding out neat tricks on accident. I'll definitely keep this in mind for permanent dust. Thanks for sharing!
                            www.mindseizure.com

Comment

Me too!

I used this method on some dark wood signs and they instantly looked like crap -- which is good -- meaning they looked very old and dusty.
                              Jeff Martin

Owner/CEO
                              True Adventures, Ltd.

Comment

Working...
                              X