Advice for airbrush make-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for airbrush make-up?

Anyone have any advice for the best airbrush make-up? I am looking for the best place to order it from and I also need a few colors in fluorescent. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Brian
    Pumpkin Pulp
    www.pumpkinpulp.com
    Scarevania Haunted House
    www.scarevania.com
    Brian Blair Studios
    www.brianblairstudios.com

Me too!

Thanks.
    Jeff Martin

Owner/CEO
    True Adventures, Ltd.

Comment

www.wolfefx.com -Tyler
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I have found these guys to be quick and easy, good make-up too. Take a look.

http://www.trendytribals.com/makeup/makeup.htm
        Bill Rod.
        Dark Tech Effects
        Automated DMX Lighting
        Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

I liked to Wolfe Brothers make-up but do they carry airbrush make-up?
          Pumpkin Pulp
          www.pumpkinpulp.com
          Scarevania Haunted House
          www.scarevania.com
          Brian Blair Studios

Comment

Try the Graftobian, I use this brand the most!
            Listen to them, Children of the night. Oh what music they make.

Comment

We use a lot of Graftobian airbrush makeup at the haunt. I don't believe they have UV/blacklight airbrush makeup, but I'm pretty sure that Kryolan does, though we've never used it.

If you type in airbrush makeup in the thread search, I vaguely remember a similar question coming up last season.
              www.mindseizure.com
              www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

Airbrush Makeup

As mentioned earlier, Graftobian is good. But, also, Mehron liquid makeup mixed with mixing liquid works well. Plus, it is a great way to perhaps use up all of that unused liquid makeup you may have bought a few years ago, but never got around to. You just need to mix it 80% Mehron Liquid Makeup to 20% Mehron Mixing Liquid. You of course, if you want, add a little water to thin it out. It works as good as airbrush makeup and is a little cheaper too. Just a suggestion also, when you are doing your makeups. Airbrush paint has a "fantasy" feel to it-the way it is so smooth and blended. To add a little "harshness" to it I like to add grease paint with the drawing in of "expression lines" and maybe using a stipple sponge and blotting in some green to create a mold effect. Also, just by stippling in some more highlights with a some grease will give the overall makeup job an edge, and take away some of the "smoothness" that airbrush adds. Personally, I think for both efficiency and austhetics are concerned, using a combination of airbrush and grease in your makeups make them very versatile.
                Geoff Beck is an acting and makeup veteran of 13+ years who has been involved in educational seminars and has worked as a coordinator for many different haunts. He has directed PLAYING WITH FEAR, and HAUNTING MAKEUP VOLUME ONE.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I never use just airbrush on anything. I always called it the "t-shirt effect" because of the fuzzyness. I like to use a combination of tools like an airbrush and brush in all my work. Of course, then it floors people when I tell them that I use an airbrush and they can't understand how my lines are so tight. Well I just ordered a bunch from Wolfe Brothers and FX Faces so I'll let you know how it all goes.
                  Pumpkin Pulp
                  www.pumpkinpulp.com
                  Scarevania Haunted House
                  www.scarevania.com
                  Brian Blair Studios

Comment

Geoff, are you talking about actual greasepaint or creme based makeup? Real greasepaint is antiquainted and a real mess. The effects of stippling and hard edges can be done with water based makeups just like creme based makeups. Also an interesting effect that can be done with the airbrush is a mottled skin effect, done by layering transparent squiggles of different colors on top of each other.

Comment

I know I have posted my $.02 on airbrush makeup here once or twice before....here are the three primary brands I use.....

Graftobian - Great stuff, it costs a bit much for the average small haunt. I use it only on the leads... The new colors that Larry is carrying at Boneyard are really nice!! http://www.boneyardfx.com/products.htm

Michael Davy - For some of his colors and his UV. http://www.michaeldavy.com/

Mehron - The best bang for your buck airbrush makeup. You can make 6oz for $10. You just can't beat that cost anywhere... yea, it won't stick as well as a true airbrush makeup. Add a set or fixative to the makeup rather than a mixing liquid for your blend and it works all night. I don't recommend Ben Nye Final Seal here.. the mint "smell" sometimes really gets to people when you atomize it with the airbrush make-up. I tend to use the Mehron brand set... I like it and it blends really well with their liquid makeup. Like Geoff said... 80/20 or 75/25 with the mix. I go light on the reds and yellows and thicker on the black.

I order my Mehron from FX Warehouse. Thea can get me my order to Illinois standard ground in three days... I can order Sunday night and have my stuff in time to do setup before the Thursday show.
                      http://www.fxwarehouse.info/

Other brands... they are out there by the dozens... you have all kinds of water and alcohol base variations available. These are all preference and your budget. If you want to spend big bucks to apply Skin Illustrator and end up with something that last days, you can. Do you need the movie quality and cost, not really. Do you need the products that require something other than soap and water to remove. Again, not really. That's why I pick my three.... ease of use... and low total cost. The bulk is Mehron, and I really like that I can mix the Mehron easily for custom colors.......

Let me also second the style issue with an airbrush... my wife and I both do makeup and she constantly says the Wolfe Brothers and Airbrush styles are too cartoon like for her tastes. Though I LOVE the Wolfe Brothers style... it is very cool!! You can combo the airbrush or the Wolfe Brothers style with some stipple from a sponge or a little color wash and get a much more real effect. AND .... as always... in a haunt blood can cover ANYTHING ... just make sure you have a color that works under red light too if you have red only lighted sets....

I'll let Geoff clarify ... but its common to hear someone say Grease Paint and mean RMG / RMGP (Rubber Mask Greasepaint). It really is more or less the same thing... you should always use RMG on your foam latex stuff... if not it gets crusty really fast.... and it works anywhere else....

Some Links:
                      FXSupply has a great airbrush make-up FAQ. These guys are also another good source .....
                      http://www.fxsupply.com/makeup/ab_faq.html
                      Last edited by dr0zombie; 10-02-2007, 11:40 AM.
                      http://www.innerfears.com/
                      http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

Airbrush Makeup

Hello,

I was talkin about the Mehron cups, which I always assumed were grease. MAybe I am wrong. but I believe at the very least they are oil based, right. Well, that is what I am talking about, and the Ben Nye color wheels. As you mentioned, drawing in some fine squiggly lines with airbrush makeup and then layering it does work well creating some "depth." I sometimes use airbrush to draw in veins as a first layer, and then add more layers to them.
                        Geoff Beck is an acting and makeup veteran of 13+ years who has been involved in educational seminars and has worked as a coordinator for many different haunts. He has directed PLAYING WITH FEAR, and HAUNTING MAKEUP VOLUME ONE.

Comment

It is a matter of terminology. Greasepaint is a thick greasy makeup, usually in stick or tube form. (Kind of like smearing oil paints directly from the tube.) Creme makeups were developed with a lighter binder (Mineral oil) to get away from that thick greasy look and feel. RMG uses a Castor oil base because Mineral oil reacts with latex and will change the color of the makeup and also rot foam latex. Personally, I use PAX, a mixture of acrylic colors and Prosaide, as my base color on prosthetics. First, because the PAX seals the prosthetic piece so that any kind of makleup can be used on top of it. And secondly because the same adhesive remover I use to remove the piece can be used to remove any PAX on the skin.
                          It all boils down to technique. Any makeup base can be used to achieve the look of any other makeup base in the hands of a skilled makeup artist. I've seen work done with brushes and sponges that you would swear were airbrushed. And work done with airbrushes that looked like brushwork. The last couple seasons of "Angel", the makeups were airbrushed on. As a matter of fact, most makieups for HDTV are airbrushed now. Those HD cameras pick up every streak and brushstroke on a hand applied makeup.
                          As a final note, the alcohol based colors are really good for those actors who sweat all their makeup off in a short time. Those colors are waterproof.

Comment

I still haven't seen one supplier in this thread that has UV air brush makeup. Anyone have a supplier specifically for that?
                            Brian Warner
                            Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
                            Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
                            Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Try FX Supply.
                              http://www.fxsupply.com/uv/uvmakeup.html

Comment

Working...
                              X