Home haunters and Pro's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home haunters and Pro's!

I have been doing some brainstorming and I have come up with an interesting idea. I know that it might sound a little far fetched, but I think that it could work out.

I have been thinking of a way to get any haunter rather it is a home haunter or a professional haunter involved with one of the biggest Halloween attraction events ever created. This event would take place in Minnesota. Why Minnesota? There is a large area of opportunity available for something to this large-scale event that I have located.

It would be a joint effort from everyone who wants to get involved including other Halloween based businesses. The main purpose of this idea is to give money to a good cause. I know that most of you give a donation to a charity or foundation, but I was thinking of a foundation that is larger then most people probably donate to. Something that is in very importance to people that would affect their way of living in a positive way.

Being that the industry is getting bigger and better, I think that this might be a good time to do something of this scale. This could potentially be something that is expanded over the country or world.

I know that it would be competition for some haunts, but being that this mega type attraction that is big and unique, it would be highly regarded for what it is we do.

This event would be marketed at a high level to draw people from all over. We would have a well-detailed web page, events taking place all hours of the day; events that pertain to all ages of Halloween thrill seekers. Instead of the generic hearse and spooks for parades, there would be a hearse with actors, but there would also be a very detailed float(s) that would help bring in more people. I believe the more you “show off” the business and what it is we do, the more people will say “WE GOTTA GO TO THAT”!

I understand that many professional haunters may not have the time to work on such a large event, but if there would be a small group from each haunt that is willing to help organize and operate this event, I believe that the opportunity would be worth it as it would be special to those who are passionate about Halloween and their creations. Each haunt or haunter would be recognized in some form or fashion for his or her participation rather it is full time or part time.

Now I know that you are wondering about funding, right? Well when it comes down to start any business it always comes down to this point. Well for starters, would it be for-profit or non-profit? That would be something that we discuss at a later time. Would there be private investors? It’s a possibility.

I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in something like this and am interested in any comments or ideas. As you can tell, I am ambitious and full of creative ideas.

Think about this for a little or at least think “outside the box” like me. This would be something totally different then your typical attraction. Very special and unique in it’s own way.

Ask questions if needed.

Brian

Sure. have you read up about small business and drawing up a business plan?

Cute creative ideas. We all have them. got notebooks of them. Useless until a solid business can be made for them. Cash flow and payback for investors and such things. Fancy hearse and website won't help if the basics aren't there.
    The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

Are you taking like Disney and Six Flags type of event?

Comment

I really hate it when Mr. Tuxedo , Spookhouse cat here "Thinks Outside The Box."
        Nothing usually happens without the idea first.
        For some reason (I may be wrong?) I don't see people from far and wide spending the time and the money (and lost income) to attend any event far away from where they are located "in season".
        Is the haunted business really "growing?'
        Maybe some retired or semi-retired haunters might like to wheel their Winnebagos across the USA and do something potentually fun and interesting?
        I might be retiring when the last shovel of dirt completely hides my final hiding place up on Cemetary Hill.

"Hey Kids! I have an idea! Let's have a talent show in the old gym! Everybody would come and we'd make enough money to buy old Mother Hubbard's dog a bone and save the day!"
        "Spanky, you paint the backdrops with Spike's help and Captain Kangaroo will show us how to make a fortune selling Stone Soup!"
        Close up of elderly frumpy old maid saying, "Well! I Never!"
        Groucho adding, "We all know that you never and this world is a better place for it!"
        Seriously though, maybe some people should begin to add up the man-hours needed just to plan and organise such an event.
        A nice donation of office space and free phone service for a couple of months would be a good place to begin.
        My personal "Dream" took several years of non-stop thinking and talking to a great many people, most of whom were not the least bit interested, but it only , in the end took two with the vision and the extra cash and my own sweat equity.
        20 years later...I'm still sweaty.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

And every time Mr. Tuxedo thinks outside the box, you have to go clean it up to refresh the supply of Mr. Tuxedo Surprise Moustaches!

Comment

Land of oppurtunity.

Until I saw a news report tonight about how the dollar has dropped and now people all of a sudden come to America to buy all the luxuries as opposed to the rich going to Venice to buy fine crafted leather shoes, or to Paris for the latest fashions. They did it because it wasn't better but, because it was half the cost of hand crafted goods here.

In country it is cheaper to air condition 9 months out of the year in the south and build a building for that purpose than it is to heat one up north for 4 months or so. Less expenses in less stress and less you actually have to do to get by if you are an underachiever. If you are in the frozen tundra you have to be a big time go getter just to make a mediocre survival.

The first thing I did was look at the current temperature in Minnesota=18 degrees where here in Texas it has been 68 in the day and at lowest 40 at night.

Down here a big industrious parade float would probably get shot at for being too happy.

So it's a stand off, I'm not buying a coat and chances are you won't get past Arkansas with your parade float.
            sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Left to thoroughly dry in a sandy, dry environment, Mr. Tuxedo's "Products" get as hard as bullets (depleated uranium with a ceramic coating , not mere lead)
              A parade float made of these would be very tough facing even an all-out attack of some magnitude. (Tieing up Mr. Tuxedo's Production quotas for many years butt it would be profitable being a government defense contractor I think)
              We could double-profit by selling those waiting to ambush the float their special Tuxedo bullets, already the right shape, probably at least 50 caliber.
              They would be a pure terror inflicting weapon as they were made to tumble after exiting the barrel making a screaming similar to a big cat in heat!
              Possibly THE last sound some would ever hear.
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

For those who have asked, this is the price information on all amenities that this location offers. It would be something to the nature like Disney or Six flags. There would probably not be any rides or anything of that nature unless the budget would allow for such a thing.

On the business plan question, no there has not been one started. I would rather know about who was interested and to hear some of their ideas before work on a business plan was started. I also don’t want to take this event head on by myself either. This is one reason why I would like to know who is interested in making this a possibility.

As for the weather, I have been a Minnesotan all of my life and it does not bother me one bit. If it bothers you, then too bad! Minnesota is a wonderful state. Yes it gets cool and sometimes chilly, but you cant be to picky when a location like this is available! Hey it has only snowed once in October and that was in 1991.

Comment

We offer more than 320 acres of versatile space with 25 buildings available to rent.
                  Facility rental rates are based on basic rent for use of buildings
                  only. All additional services provided to an event, and costs
                  incurred by the fair as a result of an event, are charged to the
                  event. Listed below are the current rates for various expenses.
                  Arts Center: 18,000 sq. ft. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,050
                  Baldwin Park: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$550
                  With stage . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$800
                  Bandshell: seats 2,500 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$850
                  (benches not included in Baldwin Park or at the Bandshell)
                  Cattle Barn: 117,450 sq. ft., 1,044 tie rings
                  Livestock/Equine rate* . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$575
                  Commercial rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,800
                  Campgrounds:
                  North Camp Lot – $500 minimum per day, or $15 per site, whichever is greater
                  Warner Coliseum:
                  Seats 5,250, 32,400 sq. ft. arena, 10,500 sq. ft. of concourse area
                  Livestock/Equine rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,400
                  Commercial rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$2,200
                  Education Building: 33,000 sq. ft. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,450
                  With annex - 12,000 sq. ft. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,850
                  With theater - 320 seats . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,650
                  Entire complex . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$2,050
                  Empire Commons: 22,000 sq. ft. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$925
                  Grandstand:
                  First floor - 60,000 sq. ft. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$2,700
                  Second floor - 39,000 sq. ft. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$2,000
                  First & second floors - 99,000 sq. ft. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$4,700
                  Infield . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,100
                  Home Improvement: 11,200 sq. ft. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$550
                  Horse Barn:
                  Livestock/Equine rate*
                  Entire barn (514 stalls, 105 tie stalls, 16 pony) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$425
                  South half (300 stalls) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$300
                  Commercial rate – entire barn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,000
                  Commercial rate – south half . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$875
                  Horse Barn Annex*: (84 tie stalls) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$185
                  Judging Arena*: 8,000 sq. ft., 168 tie stalls
                  Arena only . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .no charge
                  Arena with tie stalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$250
                  Merchandise Mart: 11,200 sq. ft. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$750
                  Miracle of Birth Center
                  & FFA Chapter House: 18,320 sq. ft.
                  Miracle of Birth Center (15,120 sq. ft.)
                  FFA Chapter House (3,200 sq. ft.)
                  Livestock/Equine rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$725
                  Livestock/Equine with FFA Chapter House rate . . . . . . . . . . . . .$825
                  • Add to Coliseum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$625
                  Commercial Rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$950
                  Commercial Rate with FFA Chapter House . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1075
                  • Add to Coliseum . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$825
                  Modern Living: 9,840 sq. ft. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$550
                  Parking Lots:
                  Blocks 6 & 7 (North Lots) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$525
                  Blocks 8 & 9 (North Lots) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$525
                  Block 22 (North of Grandstand) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$525
                  Block 27 (West of Grandstand) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,575
                  The fairgrounds are a great place to host:
                  ◆ Corporate parties and meetings ◆ Sporting events
                  ◆ Sales and trade shows ◆ Large group and community functions
                  ◆ Automobile, motorcycle and motorcoach assemblies ◆ Equestrian and livestock events

Comment

2007 Event Rate Sheet
                    Facilities · Equipment · Labor · Rates
                    Block 40 (Midway parking lot) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,300
                    Block 55 (South of Como Ave.) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,800
                    Block 56 (South of Como Ave.) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,050
                    Livestock Parking Lots:
                    Lot “A” . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$150
                    South Side of Block 40 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$100
                    North Side of Block 40 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$150
                    Progress Center: 26,600 sq. ft. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,300
                    Sheep and Poultry Barn: 53,900 sq. ft., 230 stalls
                    Livestock/Equine rate entire building* . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$350
                    Livestock/Equine rate half of building* . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$275
                    Commercial rate entire building . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,000
                    Commercial rate half of building . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$750
                    Swine Barn: 81,000 sq. ft. 230 stalls
                    Livestock/Equine rate* . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$350
                    Commercial rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,000
                    Warm Up Arena: (south of Coliseum)
                    Livestock/Equine rate* . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .no charge
                    Commercial rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$550
                    4-H Building:
                    First floor (30,000 sq. ft.) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,250
                    Second and third floors . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$775
                    Second or third floors . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$525
                    First, second & third floors . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1,750
                    Dorms (depreciation per person) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$1
                    Ground Lease: with third party facility . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $125
                    Outside Restrooms: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$125
                    Rates include a 16% assessment for capital improvements.
                    *Rental rate based on renting facility in conjunction with Coliseum
                    and for stalling purposes only.
                    Equipment:
                    Tables (8' x 30" Banquet Tables)
                    • 1-3 event days . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$5/each
                    • 4 or more event days . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$7.50/each
                    Folding Chairs
                    • 1-3 event days . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$.50/each
                    • 4 or more event days . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$.75/each
                    Clear Coms (Coliseum only) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$15/unit
                    Benches . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$5/each
                    Bleachers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$35/each
                    Picnic tables . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$10/each
                    Wooden barricades . . . . . . . . 10 complimentary/$1 each additional
                    Personnel barricades . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$2.50/each
                    Dumptruck . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$55/hour
                    Forklift . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$55/hour
                    Skid steer loader . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$55/hour
                    Snow plow . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$80/hour
                    Tractor . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$80/hour
                    Trash truck . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$25/hour
                    Truck . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$15/hour
                    Water truck . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$40/hour
                    Ticket booths . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$75/day
                    Post pounder . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$125/day
                    Vehicles based on a one-hour minimum. Rates do not include
                    operators labor. Labor and forklift charges shall apply when
                    renting tables, chairs, riser sections, ticket booths, etc. All rental
                    equipment is subject to applicable sales tax.
                    Labor Rates:
                    Event Supervisor – On-Duty . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$27/labor hour
                    Setup & Tear down . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$19.50/labor hour
                    Event attendant . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$17/labor hour
                    Ticket Seller . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$13/labor hour
                    Ticket Taker . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$11/labor hour
                    Police Officers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$29/labor hour
                    Parkers/Barricade Attendants . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$13/labor hour
                    Reserves . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$20/labor hour
                    Skilled Labor:
                    Electrician . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$80/labor hour
                    Carpenter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$80/labor hour
                    Plumber . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$80/labor hour
                    Painter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$80/labor hour
                    The hourly rates quoted above for skilled labor (electricians,
                    carpenters, plumbers, and painters) are based on a Monday
                    through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., schedule. Other times
                    shall be charged at prevailing overtime rates.
                    Rubbish:
                    Regular rubbish removal . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$10/yard
                    30-yard rolloff . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$250-$375
                    Pallets . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$5 each
                    Tires . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$7 each
                    Manure:
                    Composting . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$3.50 - $7/yard
                    Transportation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$85 - $300/30-yard transport
                    All Rubbish and manure charges are based on market rate and are
                    subject to change without advance notice.
                    Electric:
                    Electric consumption charge . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $.07/kwh
                    Basic charge (cost based on transformer being used)
                    Electric charges are based on market rate and are subject to change
                    without advance notice.
                    Parking: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Free
                    Phone lines:
                    Phone lines are available at a cost of $200 for the first line and $160
                    for each additional line. Long-distance charges shall apply and will be
                    billed accordingly. Activated, non-commercial phones lines in the
                    livestock complex are charged at $50 per phone line.
                    Sound, Lighting and Staging:
                    Allied Audio Services is the State Fair’s in-house provider of sound,
                    light and stage equipment.

Comment

Some of these buildings have a fire suppressions system (sprinklers, alarm, & emergency lighting).

The largest of the buildings (The Grandstand) has all fire systems. This building has two floors. There is a large ramp and elevator to the second floor.

Any other questions?

Brian

Comment

Sure. That covers ONE aspect, the space rental.

next question: the haunt assets. Budget towards those?

Then the business aspects of permits, insurance, payrolls, staffing. How is the budget for those?

TARGET MARKET: What is the proximity to major cities, what kind of attendance can be had, what kind of advertising opportunities?

No, am nmot being mean. Am simply asking the hard questions that have to be answered for you to make it work.

I'm doing the homework for mine as well. We all do.

Comment

I know that the rent costs are a bit high, and would make things interesting when it comes down to a budget.

Maybe this event will get larger over a period of time, who knows? I would not dream of charging a high price either.

Brian

Comment

Maybe this is not something for those who live a few states to far to get involved in?

I know that trucking a currently operated haunt to this location would not be an easy task, but I have some family in this kind of business that might be able to help out. They do some things for worthy causes were they live. The basically higher truckers to hall something when someone has something to hall. What a mouth full! LOL!

Instead of someone selling a whole haunt, maybe it can be donated to our event or purchased. I would believe that this might be cheaper then starting from scratch.

Just tossing some ideas out there!

Brian

Comment

As for the market, this location is located right smack dab in the middle of Minnesota’s two largest cities “The Twin Cities”. It in fact it sits on the boarders of three cities.

Another large haunt hear called Valley Scare, I believe uses a lot of volunteers for their event. They have a system that attracts “groups to volunteer”. These groups get paid “donation” depending on the size of their group. This event takes place about an hours or so more drive from the Twin Cities and is a pain in the neck to get to because of traffic issues.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X