No announcement yet.

Vegas Vs Chicago - Just my .002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I can say is Yeah if Transworld comes to Chicago. I wanted to go to Vegas but my plans didnt work out to attend. I lived in Vegas I know how weather can be in January there. It can be very cold, windy, and even rainy. So winter months are no advantage there. It is very expensive in Vegas its priced for tourists. Im glad if it does return to Chicago. But lets pray the weather is good! That time of year doesnt sound promising. Everyone saying well the weather is always bad in Chicago. Yes last year it was. But the year before it was 70 degree weather all weekend. Just like it is in Vegas right now. Just my 2 cents.
    Damon
    Damon Carson

Comment

Mount Carroll is due west of Chicago on route 64, otherwise known as North Avenue, so weather-wise it will be the same moreso than not.
      I have left Mount Carroll in the middle of March, headed south as far as Champaign, Illinois ("March Madness, Basketball) and found the farmers on their tractors, plowing! Back home everything was still buried under snow and freezing!
      Gee, Larry, maybe St. Louis would be the best of both worlds, central location and better weather?
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I like Orlando... but what about:

Atlanta, St. Louis, Nashville, Lexington, Columbus, Cincy, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Pittsburg, New Orleans, etc. etc.

There are SEVERAL GREAT cities that could host Transworld and it be WAY more popular than both Chicago and Vegas. I think it's just a management issue really, I guess they just really want to listen to "the people"... LOL! -Tyler
        Chris Riehl
        Sales@spookyfinder.com
        (586)209-6935
        www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Chicago in January isn't the best month weather-wise, but it's not the worst one either - you never know living here. I lived here all my life.

I don't think that having it back in Chicago in Jan. isn't going to doom the show. Yes, we had a BAD winter this year - but it's not an everyday/every year thing. I was in Orlando this January and there was a tornado a few miles from us and BAD storms - friends who flew in a few hours after we arrived almost didn't make it for the cruise we were leaving for. On the drive home we hit tornadoes again in Nashville, TN! It's a gamble with bad weather anywhere in January no matter how you look at it - just a little colder in Chicago.

Yes, there's no major attractions right outside the doorstep in Rosemont (except a new Muvico)- but why are we all there anyway? I'd much rather see DreamReapers and network with other haunters and see old friends than everyone spread out and do their own thing.

My .02 sense (senseless or not)
          Blood & Kisses,

~ Nicole

Production Team Member
          The White Star Farm
          "Hey Baby, this blood's for you."

Comment

The "people" get listened to as a last resort, it seems to me. It also seems as if the main consideration might be which month the rent is the cheapest?
            Just my uneducated guess.
            If the haunt manufacturers need more lead time to get their products out? Couldn't just hiring more help do the same thing?
            We house owners, managers, have to hire more help to handle more customers.
            If I could get my October business evenly spread out over the year I wouldn't need any help! (But that ain't gunna happen now is it?)
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

VEGAS SUCKS!

Ok now that I have stated my opinion, here is why.

Drinks: $10 for a rum & coke. There are a few reasonably priced bars, but most are $$$$$

Food is actually not badly priced. I found a few Mcdonalds and Panda Expresses and Subways close to MY hotel for late night meals. However, if you wanna bite during the show, you either have to walk forEVER to get something cheap as the expo is not close to a faster food place, or pay the typical high priced transworld meal. Today I spent $15 for a big burrito & coke.

Transportation. I am staying kind of close to the convention center, but it still takes $8 by taxi to ride the 3 blocks to the center. Its either do that or walk forever past those guys clicking the "Hot girls to your room now cards"

No CROWNE. Vegas is fine if you know a bunch of people and want to hang with them. But there is no place to walk to where you know everyone will be. Everyone just kind of wanders off and it is by chance if you run into a few friendly faces.

Lay out of the show is retarded. No one is where they normally are, especially on the costume area. Also, I think attendence is way down. 1st night at the fashion show, normally packed and in a huge room. This room, not packed, in a smaller typical tradeshow hall. Also, in Chicago, two free drink tickets and a meal. Vegas, 1 drink, NO food!!!!!

No entertainment in Chicago? ummm, DREMRREAPERS!!! & I am sure that the little city of Chicago has a few things to do at night? Besides, Yeah, Vegas has shows, about $50-$100 a pop. How many haunters can afford that? Haunters are MORE than happy to watch & take part in the freak show that takes place at the CROWNE nightly.

So yeah, I am excited and happy they are moving back. For those of you whining about the Chicago weather, I have been to 6 TW in Chicago. Last year was the 1st time there was ever really bad weather. I mean, sure it might be a bit cold, but gesh, its not like the convention is outside. If you are poor or cheap like me you walk 10' from your cab to the center. BFD! If you are rich like Larry you stay at the Crowne. LOL, maybe that is how we can tell what the following season will be like. Go to Larry room, drag him out of bed and see if he can see his shadow. If he sees it, it will mean an extra 2000 customers at our haunts!

Peace out!
              www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

As a buyer.....

glad you all came to Vegas, but no way in Hell I'm I going to Chicago in Jan.
                Whoa.........that was spooky!:twisted::evil::shock:

Comment

What I don't think some of you realize yet, is that there is a group trying to start a competing show in January but in Houston. I think the show in cold Chicago is the coldest month is not a good idea. I've travelled through Chicago many times and have been stranded. I've tried to drive to Chicago in the winter in ice storms.

I think the best spot for this show is ORLANDO...its a city that no one can complain about. Its a RIGHT TO WORK STATE... I'm not going to say who but one vendor paid over 80k in drayage fees. In Orlando if they so choose would be ZERO! Orlando is a right to work state. As for my comments about 'nothing to do in Chicago, I didn't mean as a shot at Dreamreapers, I'm talking about normal things to do. Its just cold.

No one can argue that in Vegas has something for everyone, so does Orlando.

Chicago is one of AMerica's greatest cities but not in January.

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President
                  www.HalloweenProductions.com
                  www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                  www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                  www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Update at the bottom of this article:

http://www.lvrj.com/news/16776191.html

Comment

Dirk:"If Larry sees his shadow?"
                      Did Larry ever bring his shadow with him to Transworld?
                      Larry Alaucard?
                      Larry Alaucard is NEVER allowed a booth in the dark zone, too many neck injurys!
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I thought Larry the ground hog day was September 15th? If he sees his shadow there are 6 more weeks of Halloween!?!

If he does't see his shadow, he gets another one from the temporary agency? Usually this takes a day in delays and thus determines if the haunt will be open thru November 2nd?
                        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Weather is a pig factor when it comes down to it. I know the sooner in the year the expo takes place the better it is for vendors and haunters. Why not try it one year in mid April.

It might be best to keep the show in the center of the country or start doing this in a differant state each year. But then again some might not be able to handle the work load going from one place to another.

Why not Minnesota!

Mr. Haunt

Comment

Mr. Haunt, I heard the "Pig Factor" had more to do with a guy's desperation when getting a date?
                            Pretty lonely up there in the frozen wastes of Minnesota?
                            Never go into a certain bar at night in Mutt Carnal looking for a date unless you bring a couple ears of corn with you! (It's a "Farm" joke)
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Larry Id have to say Im with you on the Orlando location, warm weather, plenty to do, not too terribly expensive. Plus I may be moving there soon, so to go to the show would be a breeze. yay orlando...oh and that one haunted house "Terrible in Orlando"...oh did i say that? I kid.
                              Nate Mitchell|creative consultant
                              [n8 creative studios]

Comment

Dirk Im still chuckling out loud about your post! Im with you man Im glad its coming back to Chicago! Everyone can quit whining lol! Im right with you on us common haunters trying to figure how to make a dollar stretch in this day and age. And trust me I know Vegas isnt the answer! And it sounds like it isnt even for the vendors! But this new theory of seeing Larrys shadow is very interesting to say the least! Down right funny! I dont know where you came up with that one but everyone will be looking for it next year im sure! LOL! I will sit and buy you a drink at the Crowne next year. I will probably still be laughing. And this Pig factor goes back to another post on the weather I think Jim made about weather in March near Chicago. The weather was so nice then that all the pig farmers were out?! LOL!
                                Damon
                                Damon Carson

Comment

Working...
                                X