No announcement yet.

Texas Show 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It may be that the costume shops want to scrape off the Haunts who are also doing limited retail sales, they don't want us around it seems.
    I think Ben has a good point.

I had more than one buyer who, as an NCA member, 'subtly' told me that they were going to boycott any vendor making a showing at next years Transworld show- quite a shocking thing to hear.

As I understand it, many of the small mom and pop costume shops (NCA members) are p*ssed that many haunters (who they see as their customers) are allowed into a 'wholesale' show. And at the same time, many vendors are p*ssed because often times they are talking to a haunter who just wants to buy a couple of samples and the buyer for Spencers or Party City walks way because no one greeted him in a timely manner.

So it seems to me that the Party and Costume people are finished with Transworld (for the time being) with many Halloween companies as well (like Cinema Secrets).

With TW taking their show back to Chicago in Jan., This leaves the Haunters 'out in the cold', literally.

This whole mess is tough on us too since we have customers in both camps.

Like Rob over at BodyBag, it looks like we will be doing the Houston show next year to cater to our 'Costume and Party" customers (I didn't talk to ONE SINGLE CUSTOMER of mine -Haunters excluded- who will be going to Chicago), and then to the MHC later this year and HautCon (hopefully) next year.

Thad
    Dental Distortions
    Last edited by toothtwister; 04-10-2008, 08:29 PM.
    Our Teeth Make Kids Scream, Dogs Bark and Adults Cringe

Comment

Ken,

As for what you said about Hauntcon, not taking a shot but they have less vendors than ever this year. Hauntcon has lost more vendors because its not a buyers show, its more of a fun show. I'm not taking ANYTHING away from Hauntcon but its just NOT a buyers show. Hauntcon is just a good time for those who go. Some vendors do okay, but nothing like Transworld.

I think we have to be realistic here, Transworld is a buyer seller show, without all the haunt tours, blah, blah. These regional shows are great, but there is a HUGE difference from a regional show and a show that is going to spend tens of thousands of dollars on marketing around the WORLD.

Vendors need more than just some haunters coming, they need amusement parks, family fun centers, ren fairs, pumpkin patches, to everything in between. The show has to reach ten or twenty thousand people to draw in 2 or 3 thousand buyers for vendors to take those large booths, and make those large investments.

Going to trade shows with 20 booths, making all sorts of new product isn't cheap. Additionally vendors can't go to MHC, Hauntcon, Eastern Haunt Convention and everything between with those giant booths...oh and IAAPA for those who go. You need that ONE BIG SHOW...where buyers and sellers can come together with checkbooks and new product in hand.

ALl the regional shows are great, great for the haunted house owner but not specifically for the vendor. I think most haunted house owenrs totally and I mean totally do NOT understand what a company like Scarefactory spends to come to these shows, especially on the scale we see SF exhibit at Transworld.

Its one thing for a company like yours (Sinister Scents) your booths can be shipped in a suitcase, still you spend a lot, but nothing like Scarefactory investing SIX FIGURES to make new product they have no idea anyone will buy, or the SIX figures they'll spend shipping it, setting it up, buying the booths and everything between.

Lets not kid ourselves, if you own a haunted house you want to see all the booths from the booth I've been bring, which also comes in a suit case (LOL), but buyers want to see Unit 70, Scarefactory, the big companies with the big props, and the big expensive animations. Gore Galore, Ghost Ride, blah, blah...

All the rest of us make the show awesome, but those vendors bring the most expensive stuff, and bring in the buyers. When you risk that kind of money you need a MAJOR buyers seller show.

I'm not saying Transworld isn't still the best option, but they seem to be having a lot of problems on their hands with retailers. Who knows what will happen, I don't know, you don't know.

You now have these Halloween Expo guys going after people...everything seems to be getting chopped up. The haunt industry has to look out for itself first and foremost. We have a business to run, families to feed, and bills to pay just like everyone else.

We just have to keep all the options open!

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

BTW, a haunt only show isn't a bad idea, even if Transworld was the one producing it. We can incorporate a lot of other industries, and many of the Halloween vendors, who cross over... atleast our industry doesn't have to be caught in the middle of all this mess.

Because it is a mess!

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

It sounds like no body wants haunters around...Maybe a lack of professionalism in manner and appearance has finally caught up to us at the shows?

Also, it would be great to hear the opinions on here from those big companies, like Unit 70, Scarefactory, and Distortions. Scarefactory might spend the most developing product, does anyone know where they stand? Like their quality or not, it would be hard to imagine the show without them being there....

Allan

Comment

Allan,

Once again I couldn't agree more.

I'll probably start some disagreements with this, but I don't think it does our industry very much good to have hairy men in drag and topless airbrushed obese women with only pasties on running around a trade show floor.

I believe in any other industry they call that the "riff-raff." Sorry, but it's true.

I can understand some costumes and paint, it's a halloween show! But there's a difference between having some fun, and completely throwing professionalism out the window.

I guess now is as good a time as any to call out the guy on this board who "hates Tom Savini and Dee Snider." Well buddy, you're on a trade show floor, and you're presenting yourself as a homeless 45-year-old cross-dresser. Of course you're getting the cold shoulder. This isn't the fraternity Halloween party, it's the business world, and in that situation I personally wouldn't talk to you either.

So yeah, of course the party people don't want us there! Why on earth would they? To some haunters this may be a "Con", but to the party people it is supposed to be a serious, industry-only trade show. Suits, ties, and big-dollar orders. I don't blame them one bit.

Comment

The Party Retailers have never wanted the haunters there, this is nothing new.
              Nor is all of this DRAMA directly after Transworld regarding Transworld, every year its the same old stuff, perhaps alil different drama but DRAMA non the less....
              Every Year , we bicker about the show, every year we are not going to the show, every year we GO TO THE SHOW, every year we complain about the show. If this were a marriage we would have been divorced long ago.

Like Ken said support the haunt shows that are in existance NOW.
              I agree with Larry that HC is Not a BUYERS show, Ironstock is alot of FUN but not the VENUE I would percieve as a BUYERS show either.... That Leaves MHC, MHC Could very well be the EVENT that Haunters need. bringing VENDORS and BUYERS together at one time with like minded BUSINESS>
              MHC is in my opinion the BEST Haunt show, now all we need to do is have MHC get that puppy rolling a little earlier and not conflict with the RETAIL show.
              Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

InFoamTech says....

Going to Houston Houston Houston Well go and sit there but dont come back and bitch when your sales are down. But if they are down I sure as heck bet you wont say one word about it here lmao! Ok this is it plain and simple. I own a couple of party and costume shops and let me tell you Rubies dont give a rats ass about me they are so far up WalMarts ass its unreal but in reality this happens all the time WalMart or Target and some of the other big retailers calls and they forget the people who put them in business. I myself buy from Smiffys they are overseas but they do not charge for shipping ever! Buy from Rubies and you get 50 boxes from all over the world and pay 5 times in shipping! So what they are not going to be there and so what it may be a little smaller. Bottom line TransWorld is where its at its been there as an outlet for a long time! Vendors TransWorld has given more notice as far as the dates of the show than ever before so get to work there should be no excuse. The weather well all we can do is deal with it. Lets just go to TransWorld do our buying and move on!
                sigpic

Comment

Clifton

Your ignorance is only matched by your hubris. I was making a joke, doing a riff on an ofd popular song.

HOUSTON......(Lee Hazlewood)

Well, it's lonesome in this big town,
                  Ev'rybody puts me down,
                  I'm a face without a name,
                  Just a-walkin' in the rain...

Going back to HOUSTON,
                  HOUSTON,
                  HOUSTON.

Got holes in both of my shoes,
                  I'm a walkin' case of the blues,
                  Saw a dollar yesterday,
                  But the wind blew it away...

Going back to HOUSTON,
                  HOUSTON,
                  HOUSTON.

Haven't eaten in about a week,
                  I'm so hungry when I walk I squeak,
                  Nobody calls me friend,
                  It's sad the shape I'm in...

Going back to HOUSTON,
                  HOUSTON,
                  HOUSTON.

Got a girl waitin' there for me,
                  At least she said she's be,
                  Got a home and a big warm bed,
                  And a feather pillow for my head...

Going back to HOUSTON,
                  HOUSTON,
                  HOUSTON.

Take a bus, or take an ole frieght train,
                  Thumb a ride or walk, it's all the same,
                  Going back where they know my face,
                  And I'm never gonna leave that place...

Going back to HOUSTON,
                  HOUSTON,
                  HOUSTON.

So, loosen up young man, before you snap.

Comment

Wow John you nailed that one on the head.
                    Again Shane , Im tossing this out in a polite way, you are not building any relationships in this industry, being a smartass to well respected members of the haunt community.
                    I can understand all the bitter remarks against your Vendor, but when you carry that over to everyone, you are just a smartass.
                    Honestly in my opinion when you start smartmouthing individuals you have crossed over the line.
                    Talking smack to Adam, and John, and who knows who else... what is that all about. Everyone has a opinion, and just because your opinion doesnt float with theirs, doesnt mean you have to be a SMART ASS.
                    This Industry needs to build relationships built on respect, you came here 2 months ago and I respected your opinion on certain matters, it seemed as though you had a worthwhile cause, Now Ive no respect for you based on YOUR ACTIONS.
                    Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

Now Back to the previously scheduled ontopic post.

Transworld has forgotten that THEY NEED VENDORS to have a SHOW.
                      Perhaps those of you that are BUYERS dont realize what a PAIN IN THE ASS transworld has BECOME for VENDORS. Vendors that PAY to SELL to the BUYERS.
                      BodyBag Entertainment has from DAY ONE known that it is focused on selling to the RETAIL market, There are ONLY 1200 or so HAUNTED ATTRACTIONs out there, with ONLY SO MUCH MONEY.
                      Our hopes are that by selling to the RETAIL MARKET, we can then AFFORD to sell to the HAUNT MARKET. Out of 1200 Haunts how many have a budget that allows them to support and HAUNT VENDOR? and Once they spend their 100,000 dollar budget with the BIG BOY vendors How much money is left for the small Haunt Vendors, Not very much.
                      So yes BodyBag Entertainment, will be following the LARGE RETAIL SELLERS, because thats where to LARGE RETAIL BUYERS will be.
                      If we dont have a good show, then all we did was lose out on selling to a handful of people that take great pride in nickle and diming Vendors over a 30 dollar mask or misrepresenting themselves as Retailers in order to get a pricebreak they dont deserve.

so Houston it is. because its the RIGHT thing for our company.

Comment

Hummmm.

Out of the many people I talk to I have offened a few so big deal. Have you ever pissed anyone off? Hell look at me and Larry we have talked here and in phone conversationsand disagreed on many things you dont see him crying that I am a smartass. Love me or hate me I am who I am and in no way will I kiss your ass or anyone else who dont like what I have to say! What I say is my opinion and mine alone. When I see something I disagree with I say it. Not post it in a private message or over the phone. Unlike some here a few here and I do mean a few.It seems to be this OH MY GOSH THING HE SAID THAT CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT! Yup I said it and I will say it again! Now your right I have been a member here for just a few months but I have been in the Costume/Haunt business for 20 years just because I came here dont mean I am new. So just because I made a statement and gave my opinion and you did not like it and cried about it is your problem. Hell if everyone here cried about what someone said this whole industry would be a ghost town. Lasty to the ones that dont get offended by what I say I say THANK YOU and I am glad you see that what I say is my and my opinion alone! Its clear to me here that by some you need your buddies to protect you over a freekin statement UNREAL! People here see me as a person who says what he thinks does that mean I dislike you or hate you hell no it means just that I thought it and said it. Some here wear their feelings on their shoulders how do you succeed in business and life by being that way? Here let me pass you a tissue. Everyone else keep the screams coming! One last thing its Shane not Clifton. Thanks Shane
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't think we should so lightly tred over the topic of our appearance and behavior as an industry, guys. It's a problem, we present ourselves as an industry terribly. Perhaps many of the problems we as an industry face is due to some of these factors compounded over the years?

Like Cookie Crumbler said this is supposed to be a Tradeshow, for professional business people, where as more than half the people walking around look fresh from a rave or even the gutter.

We should model ourselves more like the Halloween section of the floor. Sure they have near naked women running around. But the main reason is they are hired as models to show the costumes off. The people who work the booths taking orders, many of them are very professional and dressed accordingly. I'm not saying we should be all buttoned up and wearing suits, but we can certainly look and act better.

I realize that there are many haunters that are very professional and conduct themselves very well. But remember, you are judged by the company you keep and to the eyes of many we probably come off as an uneducated, rag tag assemby! Sorry, it's true....

Allan
                          Last edited by MDKing; 04-11-2008, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Ok then my official opinion would be that shane you are a BONEHEAD, and that sucks because I try not to base my opinions on internet actions, because things are often miscontrued online. Apparently you do not care what others think of you, and regardless of loving you or hating you, it reflects negatively. As for needing BUDDYS to stick up for one another, Its CALLED RESPECT, something apparently youve never learned in your 20 plus years of Haunting.
                            You are simply adding to the DRAMA that this industry does not need. If youve been in the industry for 20 plus years, I assume that you are a adult.... Start acting like one, Instead of a little pissed off teenage girl.

Comment

I don't post much but I read the boards often. I don't understand why there are vendors on this forum stating that they don't want to sell to haunters... but yet they are on a this haunted forum daily posting about their products... the only way we can see your products is at a show usually, yet you don't want to sell to haunters (looking like we came out of a gutter) or for us to be there. Not trying to be cause a fight, just my opinion. Just trying to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by MDKing View Post
                                I don't think we should so lightly tred over the topic of our appearance and behavior as an industry, guys. It's a problem, we present ourselves as an industry terribly. Perhaps many of the problems we as an industry face is due to some of these factors compounded over the years?

Like Cookie Crumbler said this is supposed to be a Tradeshow, for professional business people, where as more than half the people walking around look fresh from a rave or even the gutter.

We should model oursleves more like the Halloween section of the floor. Sure they have near naked women running around. But the main reason is they are hired as models to show the costumes off. The people who work the booths taking orders, many of them are very professional and dressed accordingly. I'm not saying we should be all buttoned up and wearing suits, but we can certainly look and act better.

I realize that there are many haunters that are very professional and conduct themselves very well. But remember, you are judged by the company you keep and to the eyes of many we probably come off as an uneducated, rag tag assemby! Sorry, it's true....

Allan
                                I have to agree with you here, I don't see how we can be taken seriously if we don't take ourselves seriously. Yeah it is an industry that involves dressing up and having fun but a tradeshow is basically a business trip. I am in this industry and having the big naked lady walking around the show annoyed me. Mostly because she wouldn't get out of my way at one point but still.
                                Jared Layman

Comment

Working...
                                X