30 days work 1 day show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 days work 1 day show

Hello I'm the new kid on the block both to this site and to the haunt world.This is going on my 4th year of a free show it takes us about 30 days to set up and 5 hour to play and have fun on show night..Question is doing a free house haunt does anybody do more than a one night show. We have a small neighbour and no parking plus don't want to make people mad...I spent about $2500 last year on plastic--wood--etc not counting props..Lucky this year it falls on Friday so we thinking about Sat too. Front yard is open for drive by all week long but the surprise is in the back yard with about a 1000sqft haunted maze with actors only for show night...thanks Howard

good job buddy
    keep doing your show if its something you like
    our haunt takes around 1 month of planning and 6 months of building and believe it or not we get less than 100 people to go through it in the end and we only end up being open for about 1 hour at best.
    Its all part of the game and i will never stop doing what i love.
    Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

Wow, sounds like a lot of work for such a little open time. You have to be doing it because you love it. Do you have any pics?

Comment

not right now
        im starting this years building this weekend so ill take lots of pics,
        we actually got some "finacial assistance" from a family member that going to help us make some of our really good ideas come to life.
        Realy excited
        Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

I'm gald I'm not the only one who does a one night show..ours last about 4 hours..this years I got to take pics. Too bad the gov. won't move Halloween to a Sat like the fourth Sat of the month...that way kids can enjoy it and not on a school night.. Howard

Comment

A home haunt is the best thing EVER!!! its about emotion, passion, and desire, this is were we all start and this is were we all end...The difference between the pro's and the home haunts is a fine line, it all comes down to money!!!! You keep on loving what you do and sooner or later you move up to the next level. It will happen dont give up and always believe!! again always believe.

Just some random dude

Jason Blaszczak
            SCREAMLINE STUDIOS

Comment

I love what we do but if I go bigger and I do want too I don't want to charge people....at my old house I had over 100k christmas light display on all tvs and new paper..The only reason I dont want to go bigger is becasue then you got city/county codes and insurance and fire things like that..I think that would take the fun out...the money comes out of my heart for people of all age to enjoy who not beable to afford it....

Comment

It sounds like you are afraid of the next step... If you truly want to do what you do than good for you, i understand the bullshit with public officials. So what is the next step, maybe 2 nights or maybe 3 nights and most definitly have a cover charge even if is $2.00 this will help you fund next years event... Its always about the next step so choose it wisely

Jason Blaszczak
                SCREAMLINE STUDIOS

Comment

it not about the money I have spent about 15k in the last 3 years all out of my pocket...I just don't want to charge anybody to see my haunt. Its my way of giving back to my town.I do it for the fun and to watch the people faces plus I gotten alot of help to set it up after they see it their first year then people want to help. Around the house it so much easier to work on thing till midnight not having to drive home then every night...We will be doing 2 nights this year because halloween being on friday.

Comment

Howie,

Maybe make it a city thing . Call your local papers and advertise it, make it known to all, or pop in to you local tv stations and tell them about your free event, this i am sure would help, or tell the people its free but a donation is always welcome and then give it back to your community...

Just my thoughts

Jason Blaszczak
                    SCREAMLINE STUDIOS

Comment

We have a local haunt that only takes cans of food for the Kitchen of Hope, no money. They do a nice show and always get good press coverage. They were open 2 weekends and halloween night. 5 nights in all.

They're nice folks.

http://www.thehauntedtomb.com/

You might follow their example. Good Luck, remember when you go pro, everything gets more difficult.

KroneDaddy
                      Hauntus Emeritus
                      Founding Board Member I.A.H.A.
                      Author "The Complete Haunted House Book"

We'll make your house everything you've ever HAUNTED!

Comment

Jim W had a great post here recently about how going pro can take all the fun out of it. Once it becomes a business, you are so busy running the business that you don't have the time or energy to have fun scaring people. Not trying to discourage you, just something to think about.

Comment

I do a home haunt, and I try to do at least two nights each season. Usually the 30th and then the 31st. I use the 30th as a warm up night and get the bugs out night.

The foot traffic is about 1/4 of what it would be on the 31st though.

This year we are planning on doing it on the 31st and the 1st. I try to do at least a friday or Saturday night, even if it needs to be a couple days before the 31st, then on Halloween is a must no matter what day of the week it is.

As for collecting fundage. I am trying a new thing for 2008. I am getting with Make A Wish foundation and taking up donations. The haunt is still free, but we will ask people to donate to Make A Wish. Plus I am hoping to set up a fortune teller that will read your future for a small donation to Make A Wish.

Now that I am a chairity fundraiser I can look into getting sponsors from local businesses to help defer the cost of the haunt.

I hope it works this year.
                          Last edited by OgeXam; 05-20-2008, 07:36 AM.
                          www.walkthroughbedlam.com

Comment

Make A Wish is a great charity, we've raised about $5,500.00 for them. Be sure you work closely with the local director, they are real particular about the use of logos, colors, fonts, etc. Good Luck.

Tim
                            KroneDaddy
                            Hauntus Emeritus
                            Founding Board Member I.A.H.A.
                            Author "The Complete Haunted House Book"

We'll make your house everything you've ever HAUNTED!

Comment

Working...
                            X